• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So apparently its bushmasters fault that an insane man shot up a school with a pistol.....

Edit: just read the medical examiners report, the ar-15 was used......carry on.

Either way people blame a symptom rather than the cause......

I hate people.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

so many folks got shiny, purdy new Remchesters but all Santa Claus brought me was some ninety-nine year old (almost) Mauser turnbolt.....sigh.

20141226_172858.jpg

suhl2.jpg

20141226_172931.jpg

suhl3.jpg

suhl4.jpg

no import stamp, mismatch bolt but Imperial, muzzle crown is very nice but I had to look at it for two years because the shop owner would not price it and would get cranky when I asked.

a few weeks ago I was looking for a twelve gauge pump for my stepson and the shop owner finally priced it.......just as I was starting my Christmas shopping. I could not pass on it. I actually put my 1899 Obie Swede 96 long rifle up for sale to finance it but got no bites so I paid cash and went to selling a lot of my vintage car parts (thirty years worth of hoarding) as well as some vintage uniforms and vintage gun parts on ebay to make up the difference which I did and then some ;)!

• Like 3

A very good condition Gewer 98 rifle, not a carbine. You really should have those stock Cartouches checked out! The stock "ID Tag" doesn't bear any marks so I would GUESS that this was not a military issue rifle. Those markings on the extractor collar just might be later proof marks after the bolt was substituted and may signify proper head clearance for full power cartridges. WARNING, many such early rifles have the 0.318 inch bore, not the later 0.32 inch bore so have that checked before you start pumping full power 7.62 MM reloads through the barrel! This bore discrepancy is why most USA nominal 8MM Mauser cartridges are so woefully under powered. Lawyers have taken over the world!

• Like 2

A very good condition Gewer 98 rifle, not a carbine. You really should have those stock Cartouches checked out! The stock "ID Tag" doesn't bear any marks so I would GUESS that this was not a military issue rifle. Those markings on the extractor collar just might be later proof marks after the bolt was substituted and may signify proper head clearance for full power cartridges. WARNING, many such early rifles have the 0.318 inch bore, not the later 0.32 inch bore so have that checked before you start pumping full power 7.62 MM reloads through the barrel! This bore discrepancy is why most USA nominal 8MM Mauser cartridges are so woefully under powered. Lawyers have taken over the world!

well, actually, Saxony issue :thumbup:!

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of old guns, the oldest one I have is an 1896 30-40 Krag. Left to me when my grandfather passed away. It's a really sweet shooter, and the bolt action is frickin amazing, especially for it being 118 years old. Lucky for me they still make ammo for it, although it can be tricky to find. The recoil is not pleasant, even though it's only a 30-40. The bullets/casings are huge though, way bigger than the 30-40 size would lead you to believe.

From left-to-right, 44-40, 45LC, 7.2x39, 30-40. So even though "on paper" the 30-40 should be smaller than the 44-40, it really dwarfs it in comparison. Probably why the recoil is so bad. It's a good 30% larger than the AK round as well. They didn't mess around with regular issue army rifles back then. None of this puny .223 stuff they use now.

output_zpsmsgewsey.jpg

Speaking of old guns, the oldest one I have is an 1896 30-40 Krag. Left to me when my grandfather passed away. 

Well, speaking of speaking of old guns and grandfathers, MY oldest gun is my grandfather's Belgian built, Browning Auto5 12 gauge.  Since all production records from the Belgian plant were lost during the war, I can't be sure of its actual age but doing some admittedly sketchy mathematical calculations, I figure it to be right at 100 years old this year.

Well, speaking of speaking of old guns and grandfathers, MY oldest gun is my grandfather's Belgian built, Browning Auto5 12 gauge.  Since all production records from the Belgian plant were lost during the war, I can't be sure of its actual age but doing some admittedly sketchy mathematical calculations, I figure it to be right at 100 years old this year.

My oldest firearm is an 1862 Moore .32 rim fire 7 shot revolver that went through the Civil War and the Indian Wars before the original owner retired from the US Army as a Brigadier General.  My God Father bought his house [outside West Point] after it had stood empty for 20 years.  The family was so nervous about the condition that they insisted on a "house and contents as is" addition to the deed of transfer.  The General's foot locker was in the attic  I got the Moore!  My cousin got the Eibar side hammer ,44 black powder revolver and was happy with that.

By the way, I bought 100 rounds of .32 Long Rim Fire ammunition made in Brazil and labled "Navy Arms" while it was briefly offered several years ago.  Those TV program idiots in Colorado Springs restored one of these pistols and tried to test fire it with a very ratty but not totally corroded 100 year old cartridge.  Fail!

I don't have anything working that is near 100 years old, but I do have a black powder muzzleload shotgun that by the looks of it is from the mid 1800's. Can't find a maker mark on it anywhere though. The hammers and triggers still work which is kind of neat, but its only good for a wall hanger.

Oldest I have is a 1937 Izhevsk 91/30, it's a great shooter. Granted it has a Timney trigger that cost more than the rifle, breaks like a glass rod at 3.5lbs.

Your Izzy is two years older than mine, but I managed to pay less for the trigger than the gun.  Of course I bought after they went up from $99.00 to $135.00 around here.  Agreed, the TImney is the best thing one can do to a Mosin Nagant... but then I had to do the CBRPS bullpup conversion as well, tripling the initial price!