• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to be a dick or anything but where are you getting that "100 caliber barrel length" generalization?  7.62x25 (Tokarev), .30 carbine, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 (.308), 7.62x54r, 30-30, and 30-06 are all .30 caliber but with VASTLY different amounts of powder behind them.  They can't ALL want a 30" barrel, can they?  Ok, maybe I'm trying to be a dick just a little, but I'm still curious.

You are and you are!  The 100 caliber barrel length is the classic definition of the optimum barrel length for a full powered cartridge.  If you throw in abberations like .30 US Carbine, which has wicked chamber pressure by the way as many who have attempted to produce .30Carbine pistols have found to their dismay, and broken cheek bones and ruined frames, most bets are off.  The 100 caliber barrel length is the classic length for optimum full power loadings.  Look at the 30 inch on .30 caliber military rifles not the Springfields, and the 28 inch barrels on 7mm Mauser Model 1993, 1995, 1996  and Mexican model 1905 rifles, again not carbines, and guess what?  They are 100 caliber long!

The models you quote were designed for shorter combat or hunting situations where mobility was prime.  A quick second shot at closer range was more important than 150 or 200 yard accuracy and knock down power.

Now read what I said "The classic "100 caliber barrel length" for optimum performance!  Anything longer and barrel friction begins to lower muzzle velocity.  Anything shorter just creates a brighter muzzle flash."

Now read what I said "The classic "100 caliber barrel length" for optimum performance!  Anything longer and barrel friction begins to lower muzzle velocity.  Anything shorter just creates a brighter muzzle flash."

No, I read what you said, now read what I said: "... where are you getting that "100 caliber barrel length" generalization?"  Actually, never mind.  I've lost interest.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

are you guys in the PNW having any luck finding .22? here in okie that stuff is as rare as rattlesnake roller-skates. on the positive side, when my non-gun buds heard about the shortage they started digging in closets and tool boxes and have been hooking me up with some ancient but still pop-able ammo.

• Like 1

It was super rare here in the southwest until a couple months ago, now it's not so bad.

So everyone knows, the reason .22 lr's are/were so hard to find, is because they make the least amount of profit for the ammo manufacturers. So after the initial ammo shortages, all the ammo companies were manufacturing their more profitable ammo first. It wasn't until the market was saturated with the profitable calibers, that the companies finally started to manufacture .22's again. There's no conspiracy, it's just how the market works.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Its not as nice as your long colt but it shoots em. Along with 460 and 454 cassul. Big bang for your buck.And I got it for a great deal so I could not pass it up.

I loved shooting my Super Redhawk. Except no range in town wanted to let me shoot .454 rounds...   :rofl:

Apparently the average backstop at an indoor range will not stop that round.  :crying:

• Like 2

M21WithLeatherwoodScope_zps715e510b.jpg

VietNam era M21 sniper rifle with Leatherwood ranging scope. You sure be sure that you're on the right end of this machine. M6 bayonet in foreground. The bolt-7.62 and the 50 cal. rifles have taken over the heavy personal work, but I believe these haven't been completely removed from service.

• Like 3