Retraced the gas price survey. On border between AZ and CA, the price goes from $3.69 to $5.29.

Least expensive was still oklahoma, but the low price went down from $2.74 to $2.59 at a Walmart.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.thumb.jpeg.c6460b6713c895b26d313401b5259605.jpeg

Found this in AZ - kinda strange to see “COVID-19 VACCINES SAVE LIVES ASK YOUR DOCTOR” on a highway sign in that state - I expect that in CA and see it everyday. What gives? Don’t they have their medical advisors under control better in AZ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, john510 said:

No kidding.Commercials have become so unreal and so fake nowadays.

I don't watch TV but you can't escape seeing it walking through the room. I tell my wife that 'white guy' has 'black' wife. She says maybe friends or just standing beside him. Kids are 'mixed' so I say I guess he likes the 'brown sugar.' Next time I say WTF???? how come 'white guy' has hot Asian wife and I don't???? Next time WTF 'white woman' likes the BBC????  What? she says. Next time I says those two guys look gay. (at least they are both white) They are she says. Another time... those two guys holding hand??? WTF???? Holy fuck!!! a black couple and later a white couple. Well that's one this week. Where are the Asian couples?

Is this a fair cross section of the population represented???? 'cause I'm, (hetrosexually) feeling in the minority here. Or is just that god damned WOKE all inclusive bull shit creeping in?? People should write the sponsors and say I'm not buying all the mixed marriages or your product till you get it under control.

3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

That's not what my lgbqt+ African American identifying trans gerbil says.

Nice Richard Gere reference.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dav said:

Retraced the gas price survey. On border between AZ and CA, the price goes from $3.69 to $5.29.

Least expensive was still oklahoma, but the low price went down from $2.74 to $2.59 at a Walmart.

I worked for a company based in Phoenix, and I spent about one week a month there.  I would drive it so I could have my car in Phoenix.  I would buy just enough gas to get over the border, then fill up as soon as I got to Az, and fill up just as I was leaving.  It was a long time ago, but it was about $1.25 cheaper per gallon in Az...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Is this a fair cross section of the population represented???? 'cause I'm, (hetrosexually) feeling in the minority here. Or is just that god damned WOKE all inclusive bull shit creeping in?? People should write the sponsors and say I'm not buying all the mixed marriages or your product till you get it under control.

I am assuming that most of the ad agencies that do these commercials are in a larger city somewhere.  In my neighborhood (So Cal) there are a lot of mixed race couples.  (Myself included)  When we have neighborhood parties, I'm usually in the minority.   I used to travel a LOT for work, and in rural areas, and less populated areas, mixed marriages are more rare. 

I would imagine Canada is similar..

My wife is third generation, so she's hardly a foreigner...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doing the gas survey also confirmed for me that Californians are a stoopid bunch.

In CA, if you buy name brand gas like chevron or shell, you will pay at least 20-30 cents more per gallon than for AM PM or other lesser brands (I’ve heard there are only a couple of refineries that make CAs special blend - so every type of station does not refine its own - it’s more alike than it is different). So ,the name brands have marketed their gas as being special and it should cost more.

In all the other states that were surveyed (az nm tx ok ar tn ms al), the name brand gas was just about the same price as the lesser brands, not 20-30 cents more.

Does name-brand gas in other states cost the same as the lesser brands?

53 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Arco (AM/PM) keeps their prices down partially by not accepting credit cards, so that's a big part of it.  Good, but annoying if you have a company credit card for gas...

i just read today that Arco is now accepting credit cards 

I do not know if it is true 

chevron shell etc have added things to their normal fuel 

IE chevron with techron 

shell Vpower some additive 

when I was younger my 510 ran like shit on Arco and pinged like crazy 

other gas it did not ping and by other I mean almost anywhere else 

It was a higher compression motor and ran better on mid grade or better 

sometimes i would mix Regular and premium but avoided Arco like the plague 

12 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Arco (AM/PM) keeps their prices down partially by not accepting credit cards, so that's a big part of it.  Good, but annoying if you have a company credit card for gas...

They do take cards, but with a premium of $.10 per gallon more than cash. 

It may be different depending location, but the station near me has this in place..

12 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Good for money laundering....

I have been filling at Costco for some time now and it seems to work fine. It is listed as a Top Tier Gasoline, but they just sell it cheaper than the rest. Usually about 10 to 20 cents less, but hey, it adds up! 

But when I did my engine break in the 510, I filled it up with Union 76 Premium, and it ran very smooth! I hope Costco Premium is just as good. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, the calculation of octane is the same on every pump. It is (R+M)/2. Don’t even know what it means. Unless they are lying, it would be hard to argue that 92 (or 87 or 89) octane at one pump is any different than another. Pretty sure each state ensures it is a reliable number.

I’m not a chemist, physicist, or anything other than a casual observer.

• Like 1

Octane is a measure of fuel's resistance to detonating from heat by itself. Octane does not make a fuel more explosive or powerful it just allows you to compress it more safely.

• Regular (the lowest octane fuel–generally 87)
  • Midgrade (the middle range octane fuel–generally 89–90)
  • Premium (the highest octane fuel–generally 91–94)

You might find that one gas station's gas pings more than another.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dav said:

As far as I know, the calculation of octane is the same on every pump. It is (R+M)/2. Don’t even know what it means. Unless they are lying, it would be hard to argue that 92 (or 87 or 89) octane at one pump is any different than another. Pretty sure each state ensures it is a reliable number.

I’m not a chemist, physicist, or anything other than a casual observer.

'R' is research octane.  A theoretical computation

"M" is Motor octane derived from actual test engine data/

• Like 1

Just a monkey and his thoughts.

I suppose the (R)esearch number, being theoretical, could be removed from reality somewhat, but each state probably has a way to check the theoretical against reality so there would less fakery.

Alcohol has an octane of something like 114 so adding up to 10% into regular gas ups it's octane too. 87 octane that is 10% alcohol is 89.3 octane. OR starting with 84.5 octane the addition of 10% alcohol would bring it up to 87.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Alcohol has an octane of something like 114 so adding up to 10% into regular gas ups it's octane too. 87 octane that is 10% alcohol is 89.3 octane. OR starting with 84.5 octane the addition of 10% alcohol would bring it up to 87.

Then why does my Tacoma run like shit on 87 octane that has 10% alcohol in it ? I put 91 in it and what a difference,feels like an extra 10 horsepower.

• Like 1

Alcohol contains less energy than 'real' gas so there a loss right there. If it says 87 octane then it probably is 87. I was just saying that alcohol is an octane booster. What is the recommended octane for your Tacoma?

Today's engines tailor the timing to match the octane. I drove the company truck and kept a log of mileage and gas bought. Years ago we drove about 60 miles a day on the highway for this job that lasted several months, so one fill up I tried a tank of the highest premium octane gas and drove it. Next fill up we had gone farther on a tank full and MPG was improved. I worked out how much further we went and the cost per mile for the premium and we actually saved some money compared to the distance traveled on the cheaper gas. I didn't believe it so did another tank full and it also traveled farther for less cost. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Alcohol contains less energy than 'real' gas so there a loss right there. If it says 87 octane then it probably is 87. I was just saying that alcohol is an octane booster. What is the recommended octane for your Tacoma?

Today's engines tailor the timing to match the octane. I drove the company truck and kept a log of mileage and gas bought. Years ago we drove about 60 miles a day on the highway for this job that lasted several months, so one fill up I tried a tank of the highest premium octane gas and drove it. Next fill up we had gone farther on a tank full and MPG was improved. I worked out how much further we went and the cost per mile for the premium and we actually saved some money compared to the distance traveled on the cheaper gas. I didn't believe it so did another tank full and it also traveled farther for less cost. 

I believe recommended octane is 87.It's got 381,000 miles on it so.....  I agree that the ECM (or whatever it's called) knows what you're putting in it regarding octane.I do get slightly better mileage with premium.The difference in the way it runs is why i spend more for gas.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, Duncan said:

I am assuming that most of the ad agencies that do these commercials are in a larger city somewhere.  In my neighborhood (So Cal) there are a lot of mixed race couples.  (Myself included)  When we have neighborhood parties, I'm usually in the minority.   I used to travel a LOT for work, and in rural areas, and less populated areas, mixed marriages are more rare. 

I would imagine Canada is similar..

My wife is third generation, so she's hardly a foreigner...

I’m only quoting this post because it’s the last … but I think TV is pretty accurate really 

So,, out of what we call “Olympia wa Datsun clowns” half of the us are mixed “race” families,, like CLEARLY, mixed  .. and honestly every meet I’ve went to from North Vancouver BC to Eaglerock CA has been very diverse. 

I have to put out there that Olympia area is VERY white 

so, who cares but like my old boss used to say

it takes a lot of different people to make a world 

if it matters  both my grandparents are buried in the Wyandotte Indian cemetery. BUT I am not including myself in being in a mixed race relationship 

anyways 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bananahamuck said:

I’m only quoting this post because it’s the last … but I think TV is pretty accurate really 

So,, out of what we call “Olympia wa Datsun clowns” half of the us are mixed “race” families,, like CLEARLY, mixed  .. and honestly every meet I’ve went to from North Vancouver BC to Eaglerock CA has been very diverse. 

I have to put out there that Olympia area is VERY white 

so, who cares but like my old boss used to say

it takes a lot of different people to make a world 

if it matters  both my grandparents are buried in the Wyandotte Indian cemetery. BUT I am not including myself in being in a mixed race relationship 

anyways 

Hey man its all good. I remember sitting on the Patrol bumper in North Vancouver with you telling BS stories.

• Like 1