On 12/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, datzenmike said:

May 6, 1937: Anniversary of The Hindenburg Disaster

Oh the hypocrisy!

Structural bits and pieces off the Hindenberg wreckage were incorporated into the British R[something] which on its maiden voyage to India made it all the way across the English Channel before crashing in France.  What goes around comes around.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mom was in school in southern England in '37 and would have been 16 or 17? She remembers her teacher being called out into the hall by the head master. Turns out her sister or some relative was killed in the accident. She went on to become a nurse in a London hospital during the Blitz and told many terrifying and wonderful stories of that time.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

My mom was in school in southern England in '37 and would have been 16 or 17? She remembers her teacher being called out into the hall by the head master. Turns out her sister or some relative was killed in the accident. She went on to become a nurse in a London hospital during the Blitz and told many terrifying and wonderful stories of that time.

I used to have a customer with an odd (but pleasant) accent. When I got to know him well enough I asked where he was originally from. He'd been born in London, lived there through the blitz as a child and then moved with his parents to SoCal after the war. Even in his autumn years when I knew him he was strikingly handsome. With his looks and that accent in that part of the world in the 1950s/60s I imagine he had drowned in pussy.

Baby boomer myself. After a war there may be a shortage of men, war's over things are looking up so after putting things off for half a decade maybe time to start a family. My dad tried to enlist but when they found out he was a farmer he was denied as too essential to the war effort. (anything you don't grow has to be brought in by ship) So he watched the Battle of Britain from a tractor. Before the war he had casually gone to a few dances with my mom, they lived at opposite ends of a small village in southern England and my mom went off to London becoming a nurse.* They met by accident after the war, dated and in '48 they married. I came along later and as there was a recession in the early '50 there was a financial incentive by the government to move to one of 'the colonies'. I was 3 when my brother grandmother and mother and I moved to Canada where my dad was working as.. a farmer.

* One of mom's many stories....

She liked the night shift as the wards were usually quiet and would gladly trade for it, patients sleeping nothing much going on. There was lots of time for reading with feet up, playing cards and drinking a cuppa tea. So one morning her and the girls are in a store room that had an overflow of bodies on gurneys under sheets as there just wasn't enough room. They are smoking (not allowed) having tea and playing cards when one of the bodies tries to sit up under the sheet!!! Cards and teacups everywhere, screaming and yelling trying to get out the door. Turned out is was just gas building up under pressure in the bowels.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Ghislaine Maxwell guilty. Will have time for book about the Clintons, Prince Andrew, Gates, Trump and Fauci.

She now has the dilemma of cooperating by naming names as consideration for lighter sentence, or keeping quiet up and doing more time.

Should be fun to see how this unfolds.

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

She now has the dilemma of cooperating by naming names as consideration for lighter sentence, or keeping quiet up and doing more time.

Should be fun to see how this unfolds.

Depends on the names. She may get a 'lighter' sentence by keeping certain names out. Either way I'm sure there are those out there who would breath a little easier if she committed suicide. By her own hand of course.

11 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Out of curiosity what specific policy? Oil prices are set by the cartel of OPEC plus. Every country in the world is paying more for gasoline with the exception of those that subsidize their own gas prices. 

The US is the world's largest producer of oil. It is not a member of OPEC.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

The largest stand alone. Peanuts next to the 23 Oil producing countries that make up the cartel of OPEC plus.

Still... if producing that much oil, you are not an OPEC member and have some of the largest refineries in the world... you could probably set the price of gasoline in your own country to anything you want.

• Like 1