• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's talk about the gun claim that Alec made on his Contaminate The Jury Pool special the other night....

While I of course abhor his politics and Trump depictions on SNL, I'm unwilling to discount his statement on the gun firing without his pulling the trigger, unlike Breitbart, Bo Duke, and a lot of other commenters.  On a SA revolver, especially an old one like this, there likely isn't a half-cock position that keeps the firing pin off a live round in the hole, so a blow to the hammer on an uncocked gun could result in a fire, that's why they often carried them with only five in the wheel, resting on the empty chamber.

Since the principle of operation is spring action force of the hammer, the trigger just holds that potential energy until it's released; it would be reasonable to assume that pulling the hammer back until it's almost in the cock pawl, then releasing it could cause a discharge.  That could easily be proved/disproved by a gunsmith taking the grips off and looking at the guts.

One of the bigger issues, and prime reason for the show, is how in the hell a live round made it into the filming environment.  It was reported that during non-filming hours cast and crew would use the set weapons for target practice/plinking.  This is, of course, extremely bad practice, but if one was going to do this a policy of having the guns come out of the prop trailer completely empty, and having the live ammo come from the users trailer/vehicle, and having the gun returned to the prop trailer completely empty and all live ammo and spent casings returned to users area would eliminate cross contamination. 

A lot of this stupid simple shit wouldn't happen if people actually engaged their brain, rather than just using it as a spongiform mass to keep their head from collapsing when they jammed a ball cap on it backwards.

• Like 1

It assumes a lot that the hammer received a blow to set it off. While possible, it's the least likely. If there were live rounds on set, if the crew were taking practice shots on brakes, if the (less than competent) armorer wasn't in proper charge of the weapons, if Alex was handling the gun (apparently in a scene where it wasn't even needed) it shows a climate of total disregard for safety. So it's more likely Alex had the hammer cocked and a finger inside the guard on the trigger. Noob 101 and 'nuff said. Guns don't go off by themselves. I feel slightly sorry for the guy but his actions led to someone's loss of life. There's lots of blame here. He should own up to this. 

BTW I liked the SNL skits of Trump. They were funny and well done. Alex's politics have nothing to do with that but fuck his politics anyway.

• Like 1

Wow,

I just read this article about Demi Lovato.  I think she's really a great singer, but she's as loony as they come.  She's now refers to herself as non-binary, and her preferred pronouns are them / they.  I read this article only because I was curious who else they were talking about.  First time I have ever seen this "them / they" applied in print.  I honestly thought the article was referring to multiple people.  I guess I'm sleeping 'cause I sure ain't "woke".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/demi-lovato-said-sober-sober-205940465.html   

Hell get punished less than someone who shoots a burglar in Ca..you can get a real hitch for that one.

at best hell get 5 years unsupervised probation, 25hrs community service where hell do ZERO service, and hell pay out like 30 million in restitution. On to the next weak link too lame to be accountable story and that will be that. He can afford all of it.. Fuck that guy..none it will bring the woman back.. Im just waiting to see if he shows up on the jizzlene maxwell list. would anyone be surprised? or care?

Edited by jbirds510
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I watched Tucker Carlson and he went over his Contaminate The Jury Pool special.

In it he clearly states that he had the hammer pulled back and let it go and it fired.

and when he said it I thought, well Duh!

If the hammer is al the way back only the trigger releases it. If pulled back anything less and released it is halted by a safety stop. The safety stop can also be set to prevent the striking of the hammer setting off the cartridge.

1 hour ago, jbirds510 said:

Hell get punished less than someone who shoots a burglar in Ca..you can get a real hitch for that one.

at best hell get 5 years unsupervised probation, 25hrs community service where hell do ZERO service, and hell pay out like 30 million in restitution. On to the next weak link too lame to be accountable story and that will be that. He can afford all of it.. Fuck that guy..none it will bring the woman back.. Im just waiting to see if he shows up on the jizzlene maxwell list. would anyone be surprised? or care?

I think one way or another he will be crucified by public opinion. No one will want to see a douchebag like him on TV or screen. So his career is on the decline if not already fucked. Maxwell isn't going to name any names unless it lessens her time. No one is going to pressure and risk even worse pressure from above on their heads. I'd love to see Andrew in court. Juicy shit. Or Bill and. (u no)

53 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If the hammer is al the way back only the trigger releases it. If pulled back anything less and released it is halted by a safety stop. The safety stop can also be set to prevent the striking of the hammer setting off the cartridge.

The weapon involved if it is period correct for 1880 might be a Colt .45 manufactured from 1873 to 1892

Quote from the article posted below

"Before 1900 most revolvers allowed the firing pin to rest on a cartridge’s primer. That’s why so many old-timers knew to leave an empty chamber under the hammer."

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/revolver-safeties-you-didnt-know-you-had/357707

• Like 1

The one I saw, had a click about 1/8" pull back on the hammer. This lifted the hammer just off contact with the cartridge to prevent such misfiring. Not saying they all had this. What did Alex say? Did he say he 'bumped it"? I think he said it just went off. Which requires the hammer to be pulled back and the trigger pulled to release it. I'm guessing that Colt designed the hammer to be pulled back fully in order to strike the cartridge hard enough to fire it. I'm only guessing that half cocked generally wasn't enough to guarantee this and the first (safety) click even less likely if released by the trigger. I would not try it though.

I can see this being discussed to death in the next few years. One thing's for sure, it didn't go off by itself. It was totally preventable. Heads should roll for this.