Covid-19 Prepared?

Went out to the closest old-school salvage yard yesterday. Closed. The owner died of Covid. Bummer for everyone.

The yard is closing, and about 1000 vintage cars are getting crushed.

Edited by ByStickel
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Funny I just got a notice that my 4th booster is available. Fuck them, I've had more than enough.

Are you sure you don't want that myocardial damage they're offering you? 

Chance of a life time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 5/27/2022 at 10:02 AM, ByStickel said:

Went out to the closest old-school salvage yard yesterday. Closed. The owner died of Covid. Bummer for everyone.

The yard is closing, and about 1000 vintage cars are getting crushed.

Happened here east of Colorado Springs.  Killer old school yard, Dad passed, yard closed down, son wanted to sell off the good cars (there were lots!), his sisters said "No insurance, no way!", so they sold the property & crushed most of the cars.  I have not been down there to see what became of it, but heard from the son it was closed & done!

Check this out.I don't know if it is a trend,but the company I work for offers 401K and Pension.They just announced that employee's that are 59 1/2 and older can get their pension.Plus they added a 9,000.00 bonus to it.So I am able to get it.A while back when Trump was leading the show,he let everyone tap into their 401K.I was also told that this will not be taxed.I plan on working till I am 67.I have been working their for 30 years.I started in 92.I got my 85 Nissan 720 in 94.Also Seen Pink Floyd in 94 in Atlanta...My favorite 5 letter word,next to puzzy...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

Thomas those are all good things.., but I'm lost looking for the meaning..Just wondering if more companies are doing this cause of the inflation or just my company...Trying to help out people cause of the cost of everything.Some people die before they are able to get what they have worked hard for.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Check this out.I don't know if it is a trend,but the company I work for offers 401K and Pension.They just announced that employee's that are 59 1/2 and older can get their pension.Plus they added a 9,000.00 bonus to it.So I am able to get it.A while back when Trump was leading the show,he let everyone tap into their 401K.I was also told that this will not be taxed.I plan on working till I am 67.I have been working their for 30 years.I started in 92.I got my 85 Nissan 720 in 94.Also Seen Pink Floyd in 94 in Atlanta...My favorite 5 letter word,next to puzzy...

Be very careful.

Be very careful.

Be very careful.

Be very careful.

Not a mistype or mistake.

If there was a provision because of Covid to allow use of 401k monies use a CPA to get through it believe me you've saved for 30 years don't mess it up now.

The IRS rules have always been you can withdraw from your 401 at age 55 if you retire, but if you continue working and withdraw from it you will pay a 10% penalty in addition to the income tax as you withdraw.

At age 59.5 they drop the 10% penalty but you are still taxed, when you retire at 67 you'll still pay income tax on it as you withdraw.

If by "59 1/2 and older can get their pension" do you mean they will allow you to roll it over into a self managed IRA or that you can retire and they will kick in an extra 9K?

I recently retired in 2019, I use a competent CPA and an investment firm to manage the money rolled over from the 401k to an IRA. If you don't follow the rules they may consider it a withdrawal and you'll pay income tax on it all in one year, I've seen it happen to a friend.

• Thanks 2

They are allowing us that are 59.5 to get all of our pension and deposited into our bank or part plus they have added a 9000.00 bonus to it.I also got some of my 401k a while back and it did not mess with me when I filled my taxes cause I paid taxes on it when I got it from T.Rowe price.Some people didn't pay taxes at jump street and are making payments to IRS.Management got a 9000.00 dollar check deposited into there banks,as a bonus..It states that if you are 59.5, and still employed by the company.you have the option to take a lump sum like if you were leaving the company. This is a one time opportunity.They also are increasing pension by 3 percent.When Trump let people go into their 401k,you could do it numerous times,till the year ended.Lots of people at work made withdraws.As you know you can borrow from your 401K.I never done it.I never heard of anyone retiring here to take payments,everyone takes the lump some.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Ever have chicken pox ?

Can you remember back 65 years??? Probably had measles. I remember being covered in calamine lotion.

55 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

Thomas those are all good things.., but I'm lost looking for the meaning..

(psssst! He has Pink Floyd Stocks in his portfolio.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

They are allowing us that are 59.5 to get all of our pension and deposited into our bank or part plus they have added a 9000.00 bonus to it.I also got some of my 401k a while back and it did not mess with me when I filled my taxes cause I paid taxes on it when I got it from T.Rowe price.Some people didn't pay taxes at jump street and are making payments to IRS.Management got a 9000.00 dollar check deposited into there banks,as a bonus..It states that if you are 59.5, and still employed by the company.you have the option to take a lump sum like if you were leaving the company. This is a one time opportunity.They also are increasing pension by 3 percent.When Trump let people go into their 401k,you could do it numerous times,till the year ended.Lots of people at work made withdraws.As you know you can borrow from your 401K.I never done it.I never heard of anyone retiring here to take payments,everyone takes the lump some.

Just a brief glance shows kodak stock hit its peak in 1976 before worthlessness in 2013. Still seems to stay below $12. Zombie company. Definitely get a professional opinion on this. Sounds like a carrot leading to an exit but with companies competing for labor that doesn't seem to make sense unless there are some bigger issues. One rule to stick to is never own stock in the company you work for or more broadly the industry you work in because when that sector takes a shit you are unemployed and broke at the same time. Been there done it in the oil sector.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Ok I understand now, they are giving you the buyout on 401, you will still need to roll it over into an IRA unless you want to pay income tax on all of it just like when you took the withdrawal.

Yes you can borrow from your 401 but here's the dirty secret - when you take the loan you pull out money that was pre tax but when you pay it back the money is post tax and then goes back to the account ( tax #1 ) then when you retire you make withdrawals and guess what ? you pay tax on it again (tax #2) because there is no mechanism for excluding it from taxes.

You pay taxes on that money twice.

Like I said before be careful, talk to a CPA (certified public accountant)

Good luck - Ooph!

• Like 2
On 6/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, datzenmike said:

I'm waiting for the monkeypox vaccine.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, Mattndew76 said:

Ever have chicken pox ?

Lol, not related, chickenpox is actually a herpesvirus.  Although, the cowpox virus is the one that protects against smallpox and it turns out monkeypox. Cowpox was originally called vaccinia (vacca or cow in latin) however it turns out the vaccinia virus actually used to eradicate smallpox is closer to horsepox than cowpox when futher testing was done as technology advanced.

Personally, I had an extremely mild case of chickenpox when I was 7, I know because I remember it and I was a super nerdy kid who kept a diary so I had written details too. Only got one or two bumps and had to go to the hospital to get it diagnosed because the symptoms were so mild. I still have a nice antibody titer against it almost 40 years later too (I have to get titers drawn every couple years for work for a bunch of stuff).

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2