Post your Garage/Shop space!

12 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

"you might be a redneck if your garage is way bigger than your house".

I say the same thing all the time, only in more of a Foxworthy style. But very close.

• Like 1
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I bought my property here in VA I wanted a shop that was 40' X 60'.  The folks I bought the building from called and told me that a customer reneged on his building and that I could have it for the same price but it was slightly larger. I negotiated for some addons and got it.  It is 54' X 83'.  When my architect saw the "barn" she told me that my wife would not appreciate living in a house smaller that the barn.  The house plans were revised to a 4500 square foot ranch on a full basement.  Took me three years to build.  When I moved  I brought seven cars down with me and five are still in the shop being very slowly worked on.  Three bays are now mower repair bays and one is a lift bay.  Not enough room in the barn!

• Like 2

I went to a guy's place near Grass Valley,CA,to deliver some car parts

I sold him.He had a 20 car garage,with a detached house.The garage was

filled with cars,plus there were more outside.

And,believe it or not,he was single!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some of you guys have nice space.  I live very close to the beach in SoCal, and I have a closet in comparision to some of you.

garage.JPG.25b41651f74072c65f25a92d1b602bb3.JPG

The above is the paint and body, electrical, and mechanical shop.  There's a shed right behind the backdoor in the garage, and I have a compressor out there and there is an air connection on each of the three walls.  In front of my '40 Ford, I have mig and acetylene welding rigs.  If you look closely on top of the cabinets on the back wall, you can see my metal chop saw, portable sheet metal brake, and other metal fab stuff.  My wife still parks in here, too 🙂

uphol.JPG.93fb10355f86a72e2adb9adf73966906.JPG

A spare room is the upholstery dept. and recording studio...

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Some of you guys have nice space.  I live very close to the beach in SoCal, and I have a closet in comparision to some of you.

garage.JPG.25b41651f74072c65f25a92d1b602bb3.JPG

The above is the paint and body, electrical, and mechanical shop.  There's a shed right behind the backdoor in the garage, and I have a compressor out there and there is an air connection on each of the three walls.  In front of my '40 Ford, I have mig and acetylene welding rigs.  If you look closely on top of the cabinets on the back wall, you can see my metal chop saw, portable sheet metal brake, and other metal fab stuff.  My wife still parks in here, too 🙂

uphol.JPG.93fb10355f86a72e2adb9adf73966906.JPG

A spare room is the upholstery dept. and recording studio...

You may just win the efficiency, doing more in a small space.

Spent every October since I can ever remember in this wherehouse..

Now, since I inherited a 3rd of families cranberry farm it is now MY main wearhouse .
probably built it the 20s or 30s  as you can see if you look close ,, mostly from used wood . 

there is about 15’ behind where I’m taking picture 

very little heavy mechanic work other than machinery maintenance because literally tons of food is processed thru it. 

wxpYMTv.jpg

we had a much larger Garage/shop/wherehouse at parents home place but sister sold it as she lives way to far away to farm that property . 

extra cranberry pics for prosperity 

eeuJStP.jpg

yGNypm2.jpg

This tote is all donated to Coastal Harvest of grays Harbor because it wasn’t good enough for fresh fruit ( to bruised and dented ) and not enough to fit in 4’x4’ wooden juice knockdown ..it was  End of season so no more was in field to pick 

JuanEar for size 

YdYqyc0.jpg

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, Chopper Jim said:

I have a 30x40 garage. Still to small. Needs lots of cleaning. At least the 2 motorcycles & the Chevelle are in there. And all the tools also.

My goal is to have 2 hoists (4 post and 2 post) and two spots to work. And all of my tools including a tire machine and balancer. It'll be a bit tight I'm sure but if you look at my other posts you'll see I'm used to that. 

3 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

@Duncan How do you like that Consew? I am looking at a very similar one for around $500. The wife needs new seat covers in her car, and I have been wanting a nice sewing machine to do some leather work for some time (I am not a great @ it, but would love to get into it)

500 for a walking foot would be a good deal. I’ve got an older consew, works great!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Draker said:

500 for a walking foot would be a good deal. I’ve got an older consew, works great!

I agree with Draker.  Make sure it's a walking foot machine, and it has a reverse function, and Bob's your uncle.  If I can help, send me a PM..

Edited by Duncan
On 11/2/2022 at 11:27 PM, Draker said:

40x48x16

i was going to do 30x40 at first. Still a good size space!

mine is 50x35.5 on the outside so you'll have a bunch of room, i can fit two lengthwise from front to back in the 35.5 of mine. wish i could rebuild it or at least replace the roof but other things are taking priority

can't wait to see it finished and what you do with it

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Been wanting to do this for a while now. The lot just north of me sold recently so I used that as motivation.

This will be a good place to store crap that really doesn't need to be inside.

fhJIhRm.jpg

It will be about 80 linear feet of propanel attached to the skeleton pictured here.

mUaNgT5.jpg

• Like 5
On 12/2/2022 at 5:36 PM, Draker said:

Small update. Waiting for garage doors to be installed and working on electrical service. In the mean time the fleet is dry. The other 2 are in my garage until the garage doors are installed.

72BC544C-8991-4ADF-BB9E-F3167937D195.jpeg

I see alot more datsuns in your future, lol

• Like 3

Recently moved and am taking the opportunity to lay out the new 29x24 garage to hopefully fit everything from the old 23x27 one, I've gained a few sq ft but lost cu ft as my old place had a 10' ceiling. Can't get back that high storage space.

IMG_9684.thumb.jpg.994d5a68fbd1f4009f58c8a78f45c7a2.jpg

Gotta get stuff sorted - much progress since this pic was taken. I find Kraft PB jars are excellent for sorting hardware - consistent size with full width neck/lid.

IMG_9727.jpg.e08f39a2a2dff62a31cf4f6122559f96.jpg

From the man door in. Out of view is my MIG and Arc weld equipment and you can just see the handle on my bench vise. Heater is oversized and noisy as shit. Lots of things live in different places than before, so cabinets are labeled to eliminate the search...

IMG_9696.thumb.jpg.429ee82bd637c555925f7f0de3df9e91.jpg

Moving my shop records into the shop. Space now complete with computer. Got some heavy cracks in the concrete engineered to swallow small bolts with ease.

IMG_9685.jpg.0897897cd98ff3cea26bff1c385496a2.jpg

Mobile racking so what I need is closer to hand.

Still not enough room, have to wait until spring so I can build a shed for some of the bigger equipment that I just don't have room for (rotisserie, gantry, gas welding equipment, engine stand, ...) but at least I'm no longer storing the wife's crap in my garage.

Finally resuming work on the project.

IMG_9723.jpg

• Like 6

That heater is noiser than shit and overkill. My prior shop had more cu ft space and the heater was 1/2 the size - quieter too. Come springtime I gotta either fix it (gas line doesn't meet code anyway) or replace with smaller unit.

Entryway door also needs to be replaced, PO put in a door that's 2x4 framed into a 2x6 wall.

Kinda like working on a Datsun that the PO didn't know much about cars and "fixed" everything himself! 😝

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

That heater is noiser than shit and overkill. My prior shop had more cu ft space and the heater was 1/2 the size - quieter too. Come springtime I gotta either fix it (gas line doesn't meet code anyway) or replace with smaller unit.

Entryway door also needs to be replaced, PO put in a door that's 2x4 framed into a 2x6 wall.

Kinda like working on a Datsun that the PO didn't know much about cars and "fixed" everything himself! 😝

Your king cab looks as torn apart as mine

• Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, Farmer said:

Your king cab looks as torn apart as mine

It's going to get torn back apart some, have a few things that I can address now and something I had forgotten to do in an earlier step!

On 12/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, thisismatt said:

Put jamb extensions on it and done?

I'd considered that, have a few pieces of some nice shiny aluminum extrusions that would do the job but the door sill is unsupported the way the 1D10T installed the door frame, so I gotta change/fix that anyway. All kinds of that "quality" of work I've discovered since buying this house, PO was a "carpenter" apparently...