Post your Garage/Shop space!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

How is that job going for you?  I saw on the tool thread you were missing some stuff you needed.

Went okay. Did the full timing belt service, all 6 engine & trans mounts, and replaced the power steering pump. Only issue with the timing belt was the stupid grenade pin on the hydraulic tensioner got jammed halfway out since they make it out of coat hanger wire apparently.

• Like 2

I have been moving things around some since the race car arrived.  Had to move my GVR4 outside temporarily.  Trying to get it into a friends shop.  I thought this shop was "big" when I moved here, but too small already.

When the orange 73 is done I will likely sell it to concentrate on finishing the red 69.  Race car is new to me and hope to campaign it next year.  Only a few things to do to it.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Went okay. Did the full timing belt service, all 6 engine & trans mounts, and replaced the power steering pump. Only issue with the timing belt was the stupid grenade pin on the hydraulic tensioner got jammed halfway out since they make it out of coat hanger wire apparently.

Funny, cheaper the tensioner has been the luckier I have been getting it all the way out.  This last set was a Aisin and it came halfway out and I ended up breaking the end of the tensioner casting off.   I was not impressed.

3 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Funny, cheaper the tensioner has been the luckier I have been getting it all the way out.  This last set was a Aisin and it came halfway out and I ended up breaking the end of the tensioner casting off.   I was not impressed.

I bought all genuine parts from Majestic Honda, so yeah, I was a little annoyed.  The mounts are pretty annoying also...whatever rubber honda used this gen was garbage. I had a cracked intake boot/hose, so I bought a new one from the dealer and it cracked in less than a year.  Bought a Dorman one and it's been good like 4 years so far

• Like 2
3 hours ago, hobospyder said:

What 4 post is that?

Good question.  I bought it used from an estate from an ad on Craigslist.  It has the name on it of a local equipment distributor (Aresco), but I can find no other markings on it anywhere telling who the manufacturer is.  Can't even find a model number.  I called them and asked, but with such limited info and no idea of the age, over the phone I did not get much response.  I suspect it is an older (7000 lb) version of the first one on this page:http://www.aresco.org/aresco_parking_lift_main.html  Seems like a fairy generic version perhaps sold by various companies under different name (Nationwide, Tuxedo, etc.) https://tuxedoautoequip.com/product/fp8k-dx  From the Tuxedo page close-ups, the features look a lot like mine.

I should have remembered to ask the previous owner's family for any paperwork, but I neglected to do so.  I bought it in 2020 I think.

• Like 1

My friend has a 4 post lift that he was using to expand his floor space.  He had his cord parked underneath a Chysler that was on the lift. Overnight a seal let go and he had the cord badly damaged.  If he has a vehicle on the hoist he drops 4 3" pipes as supports in case it should happen again.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, jagman said:

My friend has a 4 post lift that he was using to expand his floor space.  He had his cord parked underneath a Chysler that was on the lift. Overnight a seal let go and he had the cord badly damaged.  If he has a vehicle on the hoist he drops 4 3" pipes as supports in case it should happen again.

As datsuntech said, that shoud not happen on a decent lift properly deployed.  Mine has full mechanical locking tabs at all 4 corners that the platform must be raised up to release before it can even possibly move downward.  Must have been a really old lift or not in storage position.

• Like 2
On 11/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, Duncan said:

Some of you guys have nice space.  I live very close to the beach in SoCal, and I have a closet in comparision to some of you.

garage.JPG.25b41651f74072c65f25a92d1b602bb3.JPG

The above is the paint and body, electrical, and mechanical shop.  There's a shed right behind the backdoor in the garage, and I have a compressor out there and there is an air connection on each of the three walls.  In front of my '40 Ford, I have mig and acetylene welding rigs.  If you look closely on top of the cabinets on the back wall, you can see my metal chop saw, portable sheet metal brake, and other metal fab stuff.  My wife still parks in here, too 🙂

uphol.JPG.93fb10355f86a72e2adb9adf73966906.JPG

A spare room is the upholstery dept. and recording studio...

Love 40 Ford's, what guitars do you have?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

exactly as others said most if not all 4 posts have safety catches so this should not ever have happened 

if an older lift those safety's may not have been  available yet 

I was doing an internship at a small auto shop. I had a car on the 4 post changing the oil. The lift had a roller tray/tank that slid between the rails to catch the old oil. I was done with the oil change and was bringing the vehicle down. I raised it up off the locks, disengaged them, and started lowering the lift. As it turns out.. only the back two locks disengaged and the lift was turning into more of a ramp. (Only the back two posts were lowering.) This turned the oil catch tray into a runaway train. I tried my best to quickly raise it back up, but noooo… it smashed into the back of the lift and a tsunami of oil coated the floor and everything in its wake.

I learned a lot about 4 post lifts and mops  that day. I was just lucky the car was in park. 😂 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...