Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/16/2023 at 8:32 AM, datzenmike said:

At 2:45 AM I looked out the window and there was a string of lights passing. I went out and they were appearing over head and moving NNE direction all spaced out evenly and about as bright as the stars. They faded away on the far horizon and about 30 or so were visible at a time. I would guess I was standing there for several minutes and probably hundreds passed.

I'm told this was Space X ? They orbit high enough to be in sunlight? which is only a couple of hours away.

Star Link Satellite 

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, angliagt said:

I'm having trouble getting on here.Says that I don't have the "New" Google Chrome,

& keeps telling me that this site is unsafe.

Is there any way around this?

Thomas just needs to fix it. Image hosting is broken also

Something I always wanted to try is chicory 'coffee'. I pass a grove of plants on my walks and they are in flower so today I took a shovel and paper bag and dug up the roots. Washed thoroughly and used pruning sheers to snip into tiny pieces. Rinsed them and microwaved to dry. Guessing 12 to 15 min on high. House filled up with a not unpleasant smell. Let cool and used electric coffee grinder to turn to basically a dust. Enough to fill a large mug. Heated water and a heaping teaspoon steeped 4 min. Powered whitener and it's actually not bad. If I remember right, sort of a grain, malt Ovalteen flavor but bitter. Anyone else ever try this????

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 5:10 PM, angliagt said:

I'm having trouble getting on here.Says that I don't have the "New" Google Chrome,

& keeps telling me that this site is unsafe.

Is there any way around this?

I thought I got banned. Couldn't login for a few days and had to get some therapy. It was saying my clock time wasn't correct? WTF

Edited by ratpatrol66

Residential? Looks abandoned for a long time to me. Also I don't see any ammo just what the dry wallers left behind. Is the explosion actually the same place? Need oiks of the daytime results.

I couldn't log in till Tuesday.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Something I always wanted to try is chicory 'coffee'. I pass a grove of plants on my walks and they are in flower so today I took a shovel and paper bag and dug up the roots. Washed thoroughly and used pruning sheers to snip into tiny pieces. Rinsed them and microwaved to dry. Guessing 12 to 15 min on high. House filled up with a not unpleasant smell. Let cool and used electric coffee grinder to turn to basically a dust. Enough to fill a large mug. Heated water and a heaping teaspoon steeped 4 min. Powered whitener and it's actually not bad. If I remember right, sort of a grain, malt Ovalteen flavor but bitter. Anyone else ever try this????

My wife loves the chicory coffee...

Not as fresh as what your doing, she buys a blend that brewed down in New Orleans.... 

I do half that and half Starbucks coffee for her mornings... 

af 'n af. I'll try that tomorrow morning. I wonder if I should have dried it in smaller increments. There were stains on the glass tray in the microwave. Would this maybe the 'essential oils' that give it flavor? May have wasted some? by over 'cooking' it? I did 2 min then 5, was still steaming so then 10. Maybe should have done two 5 min and checked it more. Te grinder rendered it down to a powder. Still delicious.

It likes dry gravel well drained locations. Along highways is good but a bitch to dig up and get the tap root. I saw some one year in a gravel pit on a pile that were easy to just pull up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

af 'n af. I'll try that tomorrow morning. I wonder if I should have dried it in smaller increments. There were stains on the glass tray in the microwave. Would this maybe the 'essential oils' that give it flavor? May have wasted some? by over 'cooking' it? I did 2 min then 5, was still steaming so then 10. Maybe should have done two 5 min and checked it more. Te grinder rendered it down to a powder. Still delicious.

It likes dry gravel well drained locations. Along highways is good but a bitch to dig up and get the tap root. I saw some one year in a gravel pit on a pile that were easy to just pull up.

I think its ment to be mixed....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/chicory-coffee-mix-new-orleans-made-own-comes-180949950/

This is supposed to be the original blend...

Screenshot_20230706-095546_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.ab40870291ee780274422482e0257d6a.jpg

What we can buy in mass...

Screenshot_20230706-095417_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.4d11089fe1c66374bb272c6a1ec03897.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Dandelion root was a WW2 substitute,

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I think its ment to be mixed....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/chicory-coffee-mix-new-orleans-made-own-comes-180949950/

This is supposed to be the original blend...

Screenshot_20230706-095546_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.ab40870291ee780274422482e0257d6a.jpg

What we can buy in mass...

Screenshot_20230706-095417_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.4d11089fe1c66374bb272c6a1ec03897.jpg

If no coffee it's a good substitute. If you have coffee it's an extender that also doesn't hurt the coffee taste, though I'll have to try this. Perhaps coffee wasn't that available or too costly in the past and chicory mixed in would make it last longer. Likely people grew accustomed to the taste and it was preferred over straight coffee.

2 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Dandelion root was a WW2 substitute,

1 hour ago, MikeRL411 said:

roasted

This too! and much more abundant. Fresh young greens make a good salad also. -

• Like 1