Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

The engine sounds so good! I wonder what made the old owners say fuck it! Lets by another car. WOW!!!!

Thanks again dudes! My theory is that it was parked because the starter would no longer engage the flywheel gear. But who knows!

I think I got lucky here with this car once again. I am almost scared to run it for fear the 40 years of sitting will sneak back up in some, unexpected way. Knock on wood!!!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I really need to look into a new oil pressure sensor and temp guage sensor so I know what is going on in there!! Neither are hooked up, and don't look usable.

How would I hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage? Should I do it? If I find a tapped plug that goes into one of the oil galleys can I use that? I should probably google it!

I may have an adaptor. If it's the same, in the rear of the engine where the oil relief valve is there is a smaller gallery that is right above it (it should be dead infront of cylinder 4 on the dizzy side) which was made so you can tap into it for a mechanial gauge. The port should go straight to the main galley on that side.

Thanks guys! We had a WEIRD 60 degree day today and I had to make the most of it in the garage!

Tomorrow will be 20 degrees cooler. I ama total wimp when it comes to cold!

well done mate,

Cold, ha, never come to scotland then, last few days it's been 0 to -6 deg c lol

It's been forever since I looked at the E1, but I'm thinking there was a place on the oil filter mount that would allow a gauge to get hooked up.

...just looked at some pics....doesn't look like it :(

Edited by mklotz70

I have been reading this thread and your inspiring me to build my dream datsun 521 and 1000 for my wife. I love your art for the trucks and your artist ideas that you put on the 59. It is truely sick and I am going to find a 521 and put my own artist twist on it. Thanks for the inspiration and next month when I get the 521 I will start a tread to show my progress. I am having a hard time locating a 59 like yours but i will keep searching.

I have been reading this thread and your inspiring me to build my dream datsun 521 and 1000 for my wife. I love your art for the trucks and your artist ideas that you put on the 59. It is truely sick and I am going to find a 521 and put my own artist twist on it. Thanks for the inspiration and next month when I get the 521 I will start a tread to show my progress. I am having a hard time locating a 59 like yours but i will keep searching.

Cool dude! 59s are hard to find, but they are out there! And you can't go wrong with a 521.

The guys and gals on this site inspire me all the time! I am psyched to help spread the inspiration!

Hey man...I know that there are a ton of options for oil pressure and temp guages, but I think very highly of VDO stuff...electric instead of manual...simple installation...and available from most junk yards in several different Audi/Volkswagon cars for very little money...

I love that car of yours...man it is so good to hear it running!:D

I really would just get it going, fix the brakes and tires...freshen some stuff up and drive that cute little car!

The enjoyment is what makes all the effort worth it.:)