Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a slow PITA,

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/scifiguy30/59%20Datsun%20Owners%20Manual/

Let me know what sections you are most interested in so I can scan them first.

P.S. Congrats on winning the Cheerios contest - I voted for you every day!

Again thank you so much man! This is so great and totally readable scans. You are awesome!

Anything to do with the brakes, front shock size, and engine related things would be fantastic!!

Also, any chance you have a better scan of that cutaway drawing that is on scan 8 (The foreword page)? It looks like it got chopped? I'd love that as a screensaver!

I have been wondering if the shop manual for a 1950's Austin Cambridge would be useful for the engine. I imagine it would!

2 weeks has gone by with no updates till today. Fisch.... you slacker. :lol::lol:

Looking forward to seeing the video of this bad boy running.

I REEEEEEEALLY would love it if you would do your '59 like your artistic rendition. Just blue instead of red. :cool:

BTW: I was looking through all your "Ratsun" art. I think you need to have one link that has JUST the art work, ONE AFTER THE OTHER!! Non replyable, just added to your signiture. Anyone can get to it by looking at your posts.

BTW: I was looking through all your "Ratsun" art. I think you need to have one link that has JUST the art work, ONE AFTER THE OTHER!! Non replyable, just added to your signiture. Anyone can get to it by looking at your posts.

This is a GREAT idea Jes! I've actually run out of room in my signature and can't add any more info to it. Having one link to a gallery would help alot!

(Plus then maybe I could start offering prints! The '59 needs some fundage!)

This is a GREAT idea Jes! I've actually run out of room in my signature and can't add any more info to it. Having one link to a gallery would help alot!

(Plus then maybe I could start offering prints! The '59 needs some fundage!)

I'm first in line for prints!

I called it!:fu:

I'm first!!!

Fisch - You should make them "limited editions", each one numbered and signed.

I want #1 of all of them. I'll start a collection of them, all framed and hanging in my shop!

I'm excited - Get on it, Christmas is just around the corner!:D

Bob

Fisch - You should make them "limited editions", each one numbered and signed.

I want #1 of all of them. I'll start a collection of them, all framed and hanging in my shop!

I'm excited - Get on it, Christmas is just around the corner!:D

Bob

Bob you rule! There are a few things I have to factor, like the print size my ratsun brothers can afford to spend cash on. I know times is tight!

I will probably have two variations. The cheaper one, on lesser paper and a smaller size, and a bigger one on much better paper, but would be priced in the range of the other high end prints on my site. Just gotta figure it all out.

I should probably have the option of w/ or w/o pin-up too!

Ahhhh man,not fair...I had to work today. I wanted to be customer #1.....:lol:

ok...I will take customer #2 spot then!

AND I want an autographed copy of the book Jump! wether I get it through cheerios and send it to ya, or buy it outright!!! :lol:

I just scanned a bit over 20 more pages, plus more pics from the front I didn't include before. The cutaway pic looks cropped in the thumbnail but if you open it you should get the whole picture. I finally figured out how to position the manual to scan so I won't cut anything off either edge but I'll need to fix the earlier images with that problem later. I included sections on engine that go into detail on carburetor, ignition point timing, etc. and a small section on brakes. I'll do what I can to update this but I've got a lot of stuff to do this weekend...

Just finished downloading the new batch. This is sooo helpful!!! I had no idea how to adjust the brakes on it before I read this.

Also, being far from an expert on car mechanics, I really appreciate how they describe the different systems and brake it down so I can understand it.

Honestly I am amazed that an owners manual would be this detailed. It is verging on a shop manual.

I have the Chiltons for 58-68 and it is almost useless then it comes to the '59. No info on brakes, different engines, etc. This blows it out of the water!!

Well I just got done with the 3 hours of reading posts on this thread and all I can say is wow. You lucky SOB. That is by far the coolest datsun I have ever seen! I thought datsun came about in the mid sixties. Never imagined they have been in america since the fifties. This has truely been an eye opener.

That valve cover for the L 18 is tits! If your down to make some cash and willing to do another I'll send you mine.

So as we last reported I built a hand crank using metal bar stock and a guitar tuning peg as the 't'. Well we cranked and cranked, alas we couldn't get it to fire. And is is hard to figure out what is wrong when you arm is killing you!

So plan B was I ordered a new pinion/bendix gear thingy for the old starter. I wasn't 100% sure it would fit as it was listed as being a "MG MIDGET SPRITE STARTER PINION & SLEEVE". But it looked close and was 14 bucks which is better than risking $150+ on a new MG starter that might not even work. Well it fit! It was brand new and still he the protective coating on it! Score! These things alone sell for $45 sometimes.

DSCN4297.jpg

You can see how much better shape it was in than the old one.

DSCN4302.jpg

I cleaned up everything on the starter shaft while I was at it and read conflicting reports about weather to lube it or not. The 320 manual says yes, but a ton of MG guys said it would collect dirt and cause the thing to stick. So I just put a light coating of PB blaster on it. I guess the thing to use is a dry lube/graphite like they use on garage doors. But I didn't have any.

DSCN4299.jpg

Now I REALLY didn't think this would work after seeing the sad shape the gear on the flywheel was in. If you could have heard the grinding noise last time I tried it. Shivers...

Reminder

IMG_5418.jpg

But I stuck a file in there and cleaned the teeth as good as I could, rotating to a new spot with the hand crank. I bench tested the starter and it was spinning.

And then I put the starter back in and tried it. Video.:D

th_59Turninover.jpg

I know, I know, you are kinda disappointed it didn't fire up. :lol: (Shouldn't it have since I sprayed starter fluid down the carb? I was pumping the throttle pedal. But there is no gas line is hooked up yet.)

But anyway you slice it, I am on cloud nine cause it turned over and did not grind the gear even once!! And it will be much easier to figure out what is wrong with a working starter than a hand crank!;) And I figured out early MG starter stuff works!

Remember even though I have 2000 posts here I still am learning about how to actually fix cars! And am pretty much still a noob under the hood. Baby steps my friends!

There are things to check like I am not even sure the plugs are in the right order, I just did what the POs had. I will check the 320 manual for that. I know from working with Mike Klotz over the phone that I am getting a solid connection all the way to the points. But not if the coil or the distributor are working.

Then I guess I start looking for spark from the coil and then the plugs individually?

YYEEEEEHAWWW!!!!:lol:

Awesome man! Dang it...I wish I was closer! I can feel it man...it's gonna fire!:D

A bit more fluid...after conmfirming the spark action...then if it "pops" a bit...or starts and then dies....put a bottle of gas way up on that ladder and off to the side, run a hose down to the carb and give that thing an I.V. drip!

It'll run man!:cool:

I wasn't aware so many old brit car marts may fit it. That said I have a ton of Mini/Triumph/MG/Jag/etc car parts so if you ever need to check if anything fits let me know and I'll send pics and demensions etc. etc.

I also KNOW I have a spare mini windsheild laying around, I'm just trying to find it :lol:

fisch

if you cant find the firing order any where ,,you can allways take off the valve cover ,,start at top dead center ,,turn over the eng and watch the intake valve rockers ,,as you turn the eng two full rotations it will show the witch is {1st,2nd,3rd,4th},then set the distro at top dead ,,and rewire the plugs