Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

Sorry so silent on the 59 dudes! I am pretty distracted by the whole Cheerios thing!!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=16182&highlight=cheerios

Awesome on the manual! I've put it on my watch list!

Loved the Flash motor Denver!! Too cool!

So who wants to join me on this adventure? Charlie found a '60 on CL!!! (But it ain't cheap!)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1409723517.html

3k33mc3oe5Qa5Pe5S09a607b293085b951142.jpg

3n03o23p15O85R15Sc9a632c9bc13b57f15f6.jpg

3m93o73p75O15Te5Q69a63496fbedd03e102f.jpg

3n23p13l95Te5Q45Sd9a6e860ac4d830711b7.jpg

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I called him the other day and he is selling for one of his renters, he said he was open to offers. I thought he had 1 to many zeros in price but apparently not.

yeah thats insaine sis you tell him hes smoking crack?

I was just going to post that ad. It's not far from me. But the guy thinks it's a real gem. WAY TO HIGH.

I might go take a closer look this friday and see if there is some gold in the engine bay or something.:lol:

Hey Fisch,

You've got quite a thread going here! It has been a treat to look at, lots of great info! My name is Clark. I have a bit of a collection of 59 Datsuns - 3 LG220 trucks and 1 L210 sedan that I purchased from Purple a few years ago. One of my trucks runs and drives - if you look closely at the pics of Kyle's restored 59 sedan at JCCS my truck was parked right behind it.

If you need detailed info about anything in particular just let me know. My running truck is completely original and mechanically the same as your car from the rear of the front seat forward. I also have an owner's manual that is common to the car and truck. If I can find the time I'll scan it for you - it's a big job as the owner's manual goes into a lot of detail about maintenance, which is a good thing of course! It includes a complete wiring diagram.

005.jpg

That is great!!! Man another example of just how fantastic Datsun guys are. I have been consumed with trying to get my next childrensbook into Cheerios boxes ( http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=16182 )that the poor 59 is waiting in the wings. But the competition is over this Saturday and my mind can start wandering back to 1959 bliss.

I will definately contact you with any questions that pop up! Thanks for posting!!!

Also thanks to both of you guys for posting info about the manual! Knowing how much info it really has makes me really want to track one down! Does anyone have a factory shop manual?

that's true if it uses permanent magnets, like the little hobby motors. The motors in the vehicles use electric windings to generate the magnetic field, so when the polarity reverses, so does the field poles. Try it :)

:facepalm:

I work with automotive electronics, this includes automotive electric motors.

Connect a starter, electric fan, or any other automotive or for that matter non-automotive DC motor in a "reversed polarity" and it will indeed run in the opposite direction than it would wired in "forward polarity".

It is only (most) AC motors that do not care about polarity.

BTW, those "hobby motors" you speak of also use windings, open one up sometime. ;)

Edited by Six_Shooter

...and I was going to go to bed early, cause nothin' ever happens on the forum on the weekend!! :)

Couldn't resist...but rather than trample on Scott's thread....I've posted it elsewhere in case it creates some kind of debate...it will have it's own real estate.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=220787#post220787

Hey Fisch,

You've got quite a thread going here! It has been a treat to look at, lots of great info! My name is Clark. I have a bit of a collection of 59 Datsuns - 3 LG220 trucks and 1 L210 sedan that I purchased from Purple a few years ago. One of my trucks runs and drives - if you look closely at the pics of Kyle's restored 59 sedan at JCCS my truck was parked right behind it.

Glad to see you. I've been lookin for your number, I found the mirror and the spare rim for you. The rim is the one that had been in the trunk that was gone. It reappeared somehow....

I would like a copy of the owners manual too.

Edited by purple
Glad to see you. I've been lookin for your number, I found the mirror and the spare rim for you. The rim is the one that had been in the trunk that was gone. It reappeared somehow....

I would like a copy of the owners manual too.

Wow, thanks, Purple. I'll pay the freight if you're willing to ship those to me. Since you are also interested in the manual I'll devote some time soon to scanning it. It is pretty long so it is just going to take a while brute forcing it through my scanner. If anyone else is interested let me know. I paid quite a lot for it - I'd prefer to trade it for info rather than trying to sell copies though. I'm especially interested in contact information for parts suppliers and restorers.

Well I hope it goes with out saying I would kill for a copy of that manual too!!! I wish I had info to trade! I guess I discovered the thing about the suzuki swift geo metro windshield as a possible doner (to be cut down), but other than that, you guys have been supplying me the info!! For which I am totally grateful!

Is there anything in particular you are looking for leads on? I do search for 59 related stuff like 5 times a day! (But as you can guess, not a lot shows up.)

Also your title is scifi guy, if you check out my website http://www.fischart.com, you can see I am an illustrator for fantasy and sci fi stuff. I am always up for trading prints for parts (or a '59 manual!!)

And finally, on a totally different note. Where did you get the mirrors on your blue 220? I have one of those on my 521 and need another, and yours is the only other time I have seen that style. I have looked quite a bit and can find stuff that is close, but nothing that matches.

Thanks again for dropping into the thread!

As far as the trade goes - I'm just looking for info on an on-going basis. I'm not going to demand anything in advance, just share info with me as you get it. Let's just say you can owe me one.

I'm not looking for anything specific right now because I'm not working on the Datsuns right now. I just try to get parts and/or info as I can because - as you've found out - anything having to do with a 59 Datsun is extremely rare and tends to be hard to find.

Your web site is impressive - you are an excellent artist! I just voted for Jump again, looks like you are holding onto your lead. Good luck!

I'll let you know when I start scanning the manual. I figure the best way to do this is to find a site to host the images and then give you the address so you can go download them.

I'll probably do this in stages, not all at once. I'll try to get the most useful pages scanned first. You'll probably want the wiring diagram. The "Lublication Charts" would also be useful. I'm amused that they carried that typo on to the 1200 manual, that is some funny stuff!

The mirrors were on the truck when I got it. I've got a newspaper article about the truck from 1984 that includes a photo with those mirrors on the truck, and a photo of the truck that was probably taken in the sixties that also shows the mirrors were already on. They're a bit rusty and don't help me at all because I'm 6"1" tall so they give me an excellent view of the ground next to the truck and nothing else. I'd take them off but I don't want to leave exposed holes where they were bolted on. When I do get around to removing them you can have them.

• 3 weeks later...

You RULE Sci-fi guy!!! I am headed over now to start downloading. I am curious if there ever was a real english shop manual on this car. Or is this larger than usual owners manual the most detail we got?

As far as an update on my 59.

-Built a hand crank that turns the engine well. (Still haven't tried to start it though)

-New spark plugs are in.

-New spark wires, using Napa solid core leads which you cut down.

-Flushed the cooling system with a hose. I am curious if the water pump is OK. But I am not sure how to test it?

-Replaced the radiator hoses. The part# for NAPA is hose #7545. They fit really tight, but they fit.

-I drained the oil, and to my SHOCK, there was no oil filter element in the case. So no oil filter. (This had the cartridge type filters with the reusable hard case.) I am praying they just took it out when they were curious if they could get it to run. And never actually ran it this way.

-I have a new filter element to pick up at NAPA, then in with the new oil, and when I am feeling brave I am ready to hand crank it I think!

-I am also grabbing a new gear for the starter from ebay. Looks like most MG type starters would work on this, at least visually. So a new gear alone is a cheaper test than a new starter. And there might be enough tooth left on most of the flywheel for a starter with new teeth to catch.

!BcD7btgCGk~$(KGrHqEH-D0EquEbDjSjBKy3OgZb4!~~_12.JPG

So I am close to trying to fire it guys! I will be sure to video.

Edited by fisch