Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of Show last year was a '72 Skyline. That little Datsun was gorgeous and deserved to win this year. IMHO.

My bad someone told me he won three years running. Might have won something the last three years :confused:

Woah Mamma! Guy you freakin RULE! My heart really skipped a beat dude. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to the guy and ask for some serious photos!

Yeah, I think I can safely say I don't know that mine will ever be that nicely restored.

Interesting for sure. I will be studing those closely. Off the bat I can see my radio is older, so that is still a mystery. Looking at the engine bay comfirmed where a few loose wires go for me, so that is sweet too!

Yowza!!

Woah Mamma! Guy you freakin RULE! My heart really skipped a beat dude. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to the guy and ask for some serious photos!

Yeah, I think I can safely say I don't know that mine will ever be that nicely restored.

Interesting for sure. I will be studing those closely. Off the bat I can see my radio is older, so that is still a mystery. Looking at the engine bay comfirmed where a few loose wires go for me, so that is sweet too!

Yowza!!

Scott, Thanks. When I seen this car, I thought you should see it to. I have higher res photos of the ones I posted. I can email them to you if you want. Let me know. Thanks, Guy.:)

Nice job Guy. man you got it from eevery angle. NICE :D

I just wanted to mess with fisch a little. Just to get him a little wound up.

I guess it worked. :cool:

A lot of nice work there, but many things are wrong for original. The radio, the antenna and the sterring wheel off a later Datsun, things painted wrong color or were it wasn't before to name a few. But it is a great car and so glad to see it out. Just like the 59 pickup that sold at BJ a few years ago, almost right but his main wrongs were paint colors too.

Fisch, your car is a lot more original than this beauty.

Thanks Purple!

Thought I'd take a closer look at one of the '59 drums/spindles today! (And did some comparing to the 521.) How do I get the drum off this thing?:confused:

Here is the most important thing I learned today: 521 spindles measure like they would fit on the 59's axle king pin boses!! (Which of course make one think about 521 spindles w/ disc brake adapters.) Here are some things I measured that matched:

-Over all height of assembly from top of spindle-king pin boss to bottom of steering arm mount on spindle below= 5 3/4”

-King pin boss height on axle ends= 1 13/16” tall

-King pin bearing height= 3/8” tall

-Bolt space for the mounting of steering arm/ tie rod arm = 2”

-heck, even the position on the pin that holds the kingpin in place measures to about the same location.

There are 3 things I don’t know. The thickness of the ‘59 king pin. And I also forgot to measure he outside thickness of the `59 kingpin boss. And finally, the King Pin inclination angle. Which eyeballs to be pretty close.

Has anyone put 521 spindles/brakes on a 320? If so I bet it would work on the '59.

Now some pics.

Front, good ole 6-lug. Still got some paint hanging on. BUT the lugnuts for the 521 will not fit this thing! Any guess what size? I need to just go to the auto store with one and try it on their display thingies. Purple was totally right though, the passenger side is REVERSE threaded! (But only the front in my case, rear is normal.)

IMG_5389.jpg

Here is the back plate of the drum (this side points to the front of the car). Look at all that paint! Notice there are not rubber boots through which you can get to adjusters! I have no clue how to adjust these. Not even a square peg I can see to adjust with.

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

Here is the other side of the backing plate that points to the rear. There are some original numbers on this spindle and also on the axle. The spacing between the 4 spindle bolts is 2 13/16 Left to right and 2 3/8 up to down.

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

This is looking straight down on the assembly. And second is straight up from underneath. You can see how the steering arm bolts to through the bottom of the spindle. (It is also like this on the 521 but w/o the tie rod arm half. And the mounting bolt distance is the same.)

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

This one shows how the steering box is mounted in front of the axle. You can see the pitman arm coming from the box and the draglink connecting it to the steering arm. The drag link is at an odd angle in this photo, but is parallel when it is on the ground.

IMG_5387.jpg

Here is the top of the kingpin. Which is recessed into the spindle.

IMG_5401.jpg

And finally just a quick little photo showing that one of the grease zirk fittings still has its wee little rubber cap!:D

IMG_5408.jpg

The question I leave you with is, how do I get the drum off of this thing?

:)

My guess is it's stuck on the center. Use some PB Blaster and try again later.

Cool so it should come off with a little more effort. I am just used to backing off the adjusters on the 521 first, and this seems to have none? But is spins really smooth and free so I know it isn't frozen.

Might be time for the BFH.

The difference between the 521 spindle and the 320 are really minor. My brake kit fits either just fine :)

To pull the drum....just take the dust cap off, remove the spindle nut(not the nut working on the spindle!! :) and remove the entire hub with the drum. You can always separate the two once it's off.

I want you to remove the hub anyway so we can get the bearing numbers :)

Are the kingpins toast?

I went diggin in the boxes and found my pics tonight!

Here is the V8 hot rod Datsun in the background. He is in New York.

1-3-4.jpg

I also found all my brouchure scans and put them on Photobucket too. Gonna start a new thread for them but thought you would want to see the 2 for the L210 and the one for the L211.

Yeah...way cool to see all those pics of that awesome old Datsun! Thanks for passing them on to Fisch...and the rest of us too!:)

The large nut behind the dust cap is the best bet for removing the drum. It will slide off with all the seals and bearings still in it. Makes it way easier to set it all on the bench and work on it.:D

Sure hope that 521 stuff fits man...that would make it all so much easier to get parts for. I am not a really big fan of "original for originals sake" when there are parts out there that will look original enough but work way better...and be cheaper and easier to find should something break.

Sinca you already have 15 inch rims...even the disk brake kit will be hidden by the sweet steel wheels and caps!:cool:

I went diggin in the boxes and found my pics tonight!

Here is the V8 hot rod Datsun in the background. He is in New York.

1-3-4.jpg

I also found all my brouchure scans and put them on Photobucket too. Gonna start a new thread for them but thought you would want to see the 2 for the L210 and the one for the L211.

I've been really curious about that V8 one since you mentioned it Purple! Thanks for digging that up!

And I hear you Denver! I've been talking to Mike about disk brakes, and he is hopeful that when I measure the spindle and bearings that it will be pretty easy to adapt his 521/320 brackets to this spindle. As he reminded me, the down side of the 521 setup is that the inner bearing in next to impossible to find. And in the event it is needed, we might have better luck finding the stock inner bearing on this '59.

Well I got all excited, bought a new battery cable as the stock one was toast. Put in all new fuses and cleaned up the fuse clips. Hooked up the battery in the correct positive ground way. Turned the key, ignition light came on- then pushed the starter button and... nada.

Not even a hint of turning over. Blinkers, nada. Horn, nada. Lights? Not sure I don't have any!:D

So I am starting to go through all the connections one at a time and cleaning them. Cleaned all the wires on the fusebox, but still not cranking at all, so I will press on! Thankfully there aren't a lot of connections on this bad boy at all!

But there was that ignition light on the dash! So that's something that actually worked!:lol:

if you plan on cranking over your motor when you do find the prob, before starting, I would pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders about a table spoon or more for lubercation and take off the valve cover so you can see if your getting oil to the rockers.

once you have got oil to ALL the rockers then I say your good to go.

did you put new oil in and filter on, I would. good luck.

Edited by 420n620

Totally, I put some marvels mystery oil in the spark holes a couple days ago and a little in the valve cover and rolled it back and forth in 4th gear to make sure everything was moving smooth. It was!

I didn't change the oil, but it looked really clean on the dipstick. I think about 5 years ago they tried to start it and didn't succeed, but I have no idea why. So I am guessing the oil was fresh from there.

Really, my goal was just to hear it turn over today, rather than start! The raditor isn't hooked up so anything done in the near future will be very quick indeed. I won't run it more than a 30 secs give or take.

But I do appreciate the pointers! Trust me I need them! I like the idea of taking off the valve cover off and watching things for a bit before a real start.

sounds like your on the right track, I wasn't sure if starting it up was your goal for today, a friend had a 96 s10 sitting for years and he didn't pull the plugs or valve cover off to see if the motor got oil to the top, with out doing that, he started it up and now he's got a rod knocking bad.

thats why i had to ask. :thumbup:

carry on ..... :D

Scott....if you don't have a good test light....get one. They're like $5 at HF if you have one close. Troubleshooting the electrical is a ton easier with one of those.

If you have one....call me...I just emailed you my phone#. I can probably walk you through most of it fairly quickly.

Scott....if you don't have a good test light....get one. They're like $5 at HF if you have one close. Troubleshooting the electrical is a ton easier with one of those.

If you have one....call me...I just emailed you my phone#. I can probably walk you through most of it fairly quickly.

Scott..Mike is the best over the phone mechanic i know :lol:He bailed me out on the 320 a few times.

Thanks Mark :) ......I can fake it with the best of them!!!! :)

....now tell him how much easier it is with a test light :)

...actually...I'm sure he's already convinced :)

I am getting one today, along with a new phone headset.:D

Scott

Just wanted to say, MIKE KLOTZ RULES! Dude, Mike was awesome on the phone. I bought a test light and we put it through the works. He really was amazing.

The good:

Happy to report that almost everything electric works on the car. Horn, lights, blinkers, taillights, brakelights, all working. (Though the brake light switch isn't hooked up cause it is a pressure switch. but the circuit works. Will switch to a 620 style.) The coil is good too! We did about as much as we could without starting the car. The temp and oil light circuits seem to be working, but I think I will prolly need new sensors as the poles on mine seem to be broken off. Starter button is functioning, but a bad solenoid keeps it from doing its job.

The bad:

The remote solenoid is bad. (It isn't on the starter in these cars.) But when bypassing the solenoid the starter does turn over, but doesn't engage. Kinda grinds in an ugly way. There is a bad wire to the points in the distributor. But I am hopeful that replacing it will get juice back to the points.

Not sure about the wiper as we still don't have one. But we suspect the switch might be broken and always 'on', because the wire has power even switched off. They might have removed the wiper motor because of this. Having the wipers on all the time in the desert would be pretty annoying!

All in all I am so pleased. Mike just saved me a week of trying to figure out how to test these things!

Next? Pull that starter and see how bad it is. Fix that points wire. Try to fire it up for real!

That horn was like music to my ears!! I blasted Mike with it like 20 times on speaker phone I was so happy.:lol::lol:

Edited by fisch
So what was the problem with your wiring?

Great car BTW :)

Thanks man! All the switches were just dirty as hell! But at first, we were really just searching for why it wouldn't turn over. Once we knew the solenoid was bad, we just kept testing everything else.

We even tested that radio! But alas it seem to be a gonner.:mellow: