Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...now we're talking!! :)

First off....I'd disconnect the line from the tank...don't want to suck up crappy gas and contaminants into that pump right now. You can run it on primer....1/2oz of fuel poured down carb...to prove it runs. Then, I'd use a water bottle to a line to the fuel pump. You'll want to check that tank is good before running gas through it.

You can run it for 30 sec without worry of coolant. Probably more. A bit of marvel or any oil in the spark plug holes will help to make sure you don't scar up the top end. Don't need much at all....don't want to foul out the plugs. Squirt a tablespoon or less in and crank the engine over by hand a few turns to let it work in a bit. Myself....I've never done this step...I just go for it, but your engine is a lot more rare than any L series I've tried to abuse!! :)

The only thing that is going to fry if you hook up the batt backwards is the radio.....I'd disconnect that and the antenna before you start to play...just in case.

......oops........ummm.....Paula's meatloaf is ready.....so between your wiring and Paula's meatloaf........sorry dude! :) later.

Edited by mklotz70

agreed with all the things mike said run a chunk of fuel line from the pulp to a gascan i used a little wd40 in the sparkplug holes in my 56 you say it turns thats a great start if i were you i would just disconect the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith 10 bucks and you got a key its better then the old screwdriver on the starter trick

one thing to remember this is a 59 im not sure what year the change happend but im rather sure this as well as my 56 were ment to run on leaded fuel just somthing to keep in mind if you want ot keep this motor you may have to do some internal work for unleaded

this thing reminds me alot of my 56 chevy truck textured board for a sunviser and only for the driver the rear view mirror i love it

i say go for it personally if it runs awsome if it doesnt more insentive for the l18 swap

Okay....so it was meatloaf and Hell's Kitchen! :)

Pull the ign switch out, mark the wires or take pics to get that back to where they go. Using a test light with the clamp on a good ground....yes, it's still called ground even though it's positive.........now probe the wires and see which one is hot. You will take a jumper wire, plugged into that hot one, and touch it to the other two...you don't have an ACC on there, so it's ON and START. Don't drop the wire or it will spark when it touches metal. If the starter clicks, you want the jumper plugged into the other one. That should give you power to the coil....which you can check with your test light by connecting the clamp to the pos term of batt(which will be ground) and the test light tip to the + term of coil. It should light up. I don't think the coils on a pos grd rig are any different than neg grd ones. The coil is a 3 wire auto transformer. The neg is the common for the primary and secondary windings. If you hook the juice to the neg term, the coil still kinda works, but it makes a really weak spark. I won't go into the "why" :)

My suggestion would be to make your self a switch setup like I did for Mend......a flip switch to turn on the ign and a push button to crank the starter.

Anyway....with the jumper in place to get juice to the coil, you now need another to temporarily put to the other wire....which should engage your starter. Depending on your wiring....the one in the dash might actually work...try it. If all is well, your starter will crank. At this point, you can squirt some starting fluid down the carb or pour the primer in and see if it starts. If it doesn't try to fire on the starting fluid....starting fluid would be my preference for a first attempt.....then you'll want to check that you have spark.

Disconnect the ign jumper back at the switch, put your test light on the (-) term on the coil....should be the wire coming from the dizzy. The clamp for the test light should be on the Neg batt term(hot in this case). When you crank it, the test light should flash. If it does not, you need to take the cap off the dizzy.....make sure the points are opening and closing. Touch the test light to the fixed side of the points.....it should light up. Touch to the moving side of the points and crank....it should flash...if not, file the points or adjust them so they touch. Once you get the moving side to flash, you should get a flash at the coil too....provided the wire is good.

When you get the flash at the coil, you could normally pull the coil wire out of the dizzy and put a spark plug in it.....but your's are most likely the screwed in kind. Take a plug wire, put a plug in it and lay the plug body on a good ground. Crank it to see if the plug fires. If it does, put the wire back on the plug and try the starting fluid and cranking again :)

You may run into some other troubles....such as bad wires, fouled plugs....corroded cap/rotor....bad capacitor.....but these are the basics to get it to fire. Considering the shape it's in, I won't be surprised if it lights right up :) If it doesn't.....then we'll worry about the rest.

OH.......make sure it's out of gear!!!! :)

Edited by mklotz70

one thing to remember this is a 59 im not sure what year the change happend but im rather sure this as well as my 56 were ment to run on leaded fuel just somthing to keep in mind if you want ot keep this motor you may have to do some internal work for unleaded

Right! Man, I keep remembering that but then I forget it all over again. Thanks for the reminder! I need to find out!

And mike you rock! I will print that out when I go out to try it! And if anyone knows if this is leaded, let me know!

Seeing if this c-motor starts is really for curiosity. Though if it does, and is smooth, I'd have to kick it like that for a while!

Buuuut... here is a little teaser pic of where I think it is headed for the drivetrain! (This is why I've been thinking L-18)

P9250061.jpg

P9250025.jpg

More pics can be found in my engine thread, here:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=211852#post211852

Yep I would say it's an early 59. I forgot to mention the early ones had shorter serial numbers too.

If your key is like mine it is worn out and anything will turn it. It is just on off and the button starts it.

That changes things at the plug a bit. Is there two wires or three at the back of the ign sw? Any one got a schematic?

Good news! With some jiggling the key for my 521 does indeed turn the ignition of the '59. It rotates about 90 degrees. I only feel one stop. So hopefully I don't need to hotwire it!

But the back of the tumbler does have 3 wires. The push button wires are split between 2 poles, and one of those two poles has an additional wire that goes into the harness. (The other had the radio wire, which has been disconnected.) The third pole wire also goes into the harness.

And I will totally grab some vid when I try to fire it up!

I love that thing Datrod! Third year in a row he won it? Awesome!

Whenever I get mine done it would be awesome to celebrate with a cross country trip to JCCS. I do like that color though!

There is not a flaw on that car that I can see. Very hard to get a photo of that car. Lot's of people taking pic's and just loving the car. I'm sure someone took some better pic's.

Your name kept comming up from some of the ratsun folks. Like, Boy I bet fisch would love that thing. :lol: So we were thinking about you anyway.

What a beauty! You guys are so awesome for looking out for me. Group hug fo everyone.

Just a few thing I notice on that beaut. The antenna is on the A pillar. Mine was on the passenger fender, but is long gone. If anyone got a shot of the dash I'd love to see that radio! Also interesting that there are no reflectors under the tail lights on this lil nugget.

A stunner though! I doubt mine will ever be that nice (But will hopefully stand out in other ways!)

fish,contact Datsun Heritage Museum they do have a car like yours and they told me that they have all the parts to put it toghether,maybe they can help with some info.about getting some parts..........:cool:

Yeh, i have been talking to the guy down at the museum about fisch's car and he told me he had one(wonder if that one in the pics is his) i asked if he had anything on the 210/211 and he is calling me back on Monday. I told him about my parts catalog collection and he was very interested to talk ,so maybe he can find a service manual or something. I've also been asking on the NZ forums about info on the 210, nothing yet.

Yeh, i have been talking to the guy down at the museum about fisch's car and he told me he had one(wonder if that one in the pics is his) i asked if he had anything on the 210/211 and he is calling me back on Monday. I told him about my parts catalog collection and he was very interested to talk ,so maybe he can find a service manual or something. I've also been asking on the NZ forums about info on the 210, nothing yet.

My hero! Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!

Scott, I also told the owner that I know someone that just got a '59. So I asked if I can take photos for him. He said sure, And opened it up for me. So here you go. Guy.

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00092.jpg