Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

actually here are a picture of the two:

2951653130102197423S600x600Q85.jpg

EZ this fiat looks really close!! I gotta track down some measurements! If you are ever there again w/ a tape measure handy will you grab some digits?

You RULE for these shots, thanks!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fisch...I would love to see if a hunch of mine is correct.

That work light looks a lot like the one I got off of a 240Z from the JY...the top portion just might twist gently and pull up to reveal a long wire inside...meaning...it could pop out and allow you to still move it around the engine bay. Mine has the same shape and switch as yours. Like...exactly the same as far as I can tell.:blink:

MAN I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!:eek::D:cool:

Nice find! Again...nice find Fisch!

I surf CL nationwide all the time and missed it. Not that I have the money anyway.:rolleyes:

If you twist the top of the work light it open's and the cord is inside coiled up.

Abe

Holy cow you are right! How freakin cool. Check it out! Wire inside looks brand new! I reckon your awesome goon does this, but did the 320's do it too? EDIT I'm guessing from what Denver is saying, a bunch of Datsuns did this!

There is a little toggle switch on the bottom!

P9220001.jpg

P9220002.jpg

P9220003.jpg

Edited by fisch
Holy cow you are right! How freakin cool. Check it out! Wire inside looks brand new! I reckon your awesome goon does this, but did the 320's do it too? EDIT I'm guessing from what Denver is saying, a bunch of Datsuns did this!

Iv got a box of thos :lol: let me know if you need another one in decent shape

The radio is not in the stock position according to the sales brochure I have. It is supposed to be in a box added below that spot.

I MIGHT have the rubber tube for the air filter. There is also a cover for the distributor. Again, the old Austin stuff is probably exactly the same.

The radio is not in the stock position according to the sales brochure I have. It is supposed to be in a box added below that spot.

I MIGHT have the rubber tube for the air filter. There is also a cover for the distributor. Again, the old Austin stuff is probably exactly the same.

Interesting, does it look like the same radio Purple?

Nice on the tube for the filter! I need to get a list going with you! I don't know a lot about oil bath filters. But from the way they are described they are kinda like a bong! Sucking the air through a pool of oil, right?

Purple knows most of this list, but here is what I know I am missing for those that are curious.....so far:

-Tube for filter.

-The 't' handle for the trunk. I have both parts of the latch on the inside, but am not sure if the mechanism works.

-The chrome license plate lamp hood that says Datsun.

-The engine hood latch mechanism.

-One hood hinge. (I will try to repair mine, but the pin is broken.)

-The opera lamp inside on the 'B' pillar.

-The round plug that goes on the trans tunnel.

-A key for the damn thing! Will look for a replacement ignition. Driver door is locked too! But can open it with inside handle.

-One headlight bucket.

-Both rings that hold the headlight in the bucket (but I have the chrome outer bezels!)

-I only have one visor, but there is no screw hole where a passenger one ever was?

-Side view mirror? There is no evidence there ever was one, no mounting holes.

-One tail lens (Purple let me know lucas ones work.)

-Both rear reflectors.

-Of course the tools! (This even shipped with a bottle of touch-up paint in the tool kit!)

-Most of the lugnuts. One wheel is only held on with one! (But these shouldn't be too hard to get, though they are bigger studs than the 521.)

-I imagine the master cylinders are toast! (Wonder if there are rebuild kits?)

I was wondering if a set of dual carbs from a bug eye sprite would fit this engine? (Don't know if they would clear the masters though.) I still plan on the engine swap, but I wanna see if this one will go!

Hey purple, do you know what the shift pattern is on the 4 speed on the column? So weird!

So i thought i would google a 1959 datsun 1000 and the first image that come up is???????? check it for your self

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4GPEA_enUS290US290&q=1959%20datsun%201000%20for%20sale&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

That is awesome!

This is one cool project. I agree with the others on staying with something like an R16, would still be very quick for the weight.

I've got some pictures of an old bluebird that was for sale in Australia, I think it's probably 3-5 years newer than your one, but might still be good for a reference (I have a couple more photos if they are of use).

bluebird1.jpg

PARTS HERE! I don't have the filter tube, but you are gonna be hittin up the British guys for a lot of stuff.

IMG_1019.jpg

The chrome license cover is just the standard Lucas and doesn't say Datsun. The Datsun 1000 emblem is to the right of the plate. This pic also has the rubber parts. The reflactors can also be had from the brit supplier.

IMG_1018.jpg

Complete headlights.

IMG_1024.jpg

I have 2 interior lights both lenses are cracked.

IMG_1030.jpg

Early used the flat lenses and the late used the bullet lenses. They are interchangeable.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

The axle is useable and the steering stuff too. The long crossing steering bar I had sleeved to beef it up because I kept bending it.

IMG_1017.jpg

I have been filling in a guage panel and plan to make fiberglas copies to use for custom guages in the stock dash.

IMG_1032.jpg

And the best part I am not willing to 'part' with (pun intended), an NOS hood ornament still coated in cosmoline.

More pics at my photobucket, including extra hood hinges.

2eDeYe;208450'']It's a disease and VW ownership is a known symptom precursor :D

That's actually me in the pics with Fisch as it's being unloaded. He's already got me hooked. I can wrench on his for a while until I get mine.

Wait... that came out wrong.

That's actually me in the pics with Fisch as it's being unloaded. He's already got me hooked. I can wrench on his for a while until I get mine.

Wait... that came out wrong.

Yea what you and fisch do in your spare time is really more than we need to know.:lol:

Allrighty dudes, this evening why don't we travel under under the bumper of this thing!

Here is a shot of the stock front suspension. It is a solid I-beam axle, but with parallel leaf springs. Ol skool baby! (Datrod, we are a straight tube axle away from being a gasser!) The parallel leaf springs still look to have their fiberglass or plastic friction reducers between the leafs. This axle is missing both tube shocks which attach at the spring mount. It has hasn't been cleaned at all, just sprayed with a hose.

Check out the sway bar coming forward- on a straight axle! This thing was built like a tank for such a little car!

P9220008.jpg

I noticed an familiar color peeking out at me on the oil pan and had to get a closer look.

P9220009.jpg

Out came the plastic putty knife! I was a little surprised to see what I believe to be original paint on this oil pan. Notice the overspray! There is still overspray on the generator too! I started scraping the axle and I believe it also has original paint. It is as if the desert sands have preserved it.

P9220004.jpg

This next picture is one of the king pin bosses I started to clean up so I could take some measurements. Turns out the kingpin boss is the same height as the 521 boss, which is also the same size of '49-54 chevy bosses. This could open up some interesting spindle swaps. But I need to check kingpin inclination angle and kingpin diameters and lengths. Hopefully Purple will measure his for me!:D

P9220006.jpg

I started cleaning more of the engine bay and am discovering more and more factory paint. And stickers!

On the generator.

IMG_5351.jpg

And on the oil bath air cleaner. Pretty cool!

IMG_5352.jpg

But I made a mistake trying to get the dirt off with a hose. It got a lot off but the dirt that was left absorbed the water like a sponge and is causing some of the factory paint to come off with the dirt as it is removed.:( But I didn't know all that paint would be there or I would have been more careful!

But the condition is making sense.

After looking at the title and talking with the family, the car was first bought in 1960 and the family sent me a picture showing the last registration sticker on the license plate was 1968. (They kept the plate for sentimental reasons, which I totally agree with!) This is about the time they remember it being taken off the road. So it was only run for 8 years.

At first I couldn't see the 1968? (Not sure why people black out plate #s but I did that here too.:) )

LicensePlateEdit.jpg

But then I saw it closer.

LicensePlatesticker.jpg

Yup looks like 1968 to me!

LicensePlate.jpg

Well that is all for this evening!

Edited by fisch