Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

same as 320s

I just went through the entire 320 manual. I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I had british on the mind. Duh!

Yup the clutch slave and master look the same as the 320. (though I don't have a 320 slave to compare it to it looks like it should totally work.) Bet the brake parts are the same or close.

The rear axle housing visually look the same.

I still can't figure out the wiper system though. The brackets I see don't seem to agree with the one in the 320 parts catalog. (The 320 shop manual says nothing about the wipers. Which seems weird.) But I am guessing by looking at photos that the 320 wiper motor mounts from inside the engine bay rather than under the dash?

I've been doing a bunch of research on MG/AH interchange with early Datsuns. Here's a link to victoriabritish.com, showing the clutch assy for an Austin 100-4. They list the slave @ $59.95. This is just one possible application. What you need to know is the bore diameter of the slave and the stroke of the piston. An ebay search for 'datsun slave' shows a slew of stuff, all very similar. This is one of those things, that from an engineering standpoint, might as well be left alone unless there is a problem with it. That translates into Datsun using the same or similar design in a multitude of rigs.

I don't think the powerplant matters, really. A hydraulic system of this design will work with an awful lot of horsepressure. So, the key really is knowing what transmission is in there. The stroke of the slave is what determines the throw on the fork, the diameter of the slave determines the speed of the throw. At least that is my understanding.

Maybe purple would take a photo of his (and his wipers too)? I know how hard it is to find a part completely missing. :D

Scott....I'm heading to bed, but if you dig through my NL thread....I've got some pics up of the slave setup I made/used. Never could find a 320 slave.....the mounting bolt holes are too far apart....so I made a simple adapter. I had to make the push rod too, but luckily, you have one already.

More parts pics. First a box of mixed parts that came with my 61 PLG222.

IMG_1046.jpg

This slave was in the box.

IMG_1047.jpg

Another box of parts under that fan. It has mostly 59 parts too.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Follow the links to my photobucket for more pics I took. Added 27 pics total just tonight.

Purple, man you are my hero! These pics are great! And the placement of the wiper motor pretty much confirms that mine was removed in order to dashmount the radio. Can you imagine? Getting rid of wipers for tunes??

One more favor, can you measure the distance between the center of the mounting holes on that slave?

My wallet has cobwebs at the moment, but I wil start prioritizing a list of things I need in order of importance for when the cashflow recoupes!

I can't thank you enough.:thumbup:

Edited by fisch

So I might have found a windshield type that could be cut down for the '59!

What I did was take a piece of string and stretch it along the inside of my cracked glass from left to right. I then marked 5 points on half the length of the string. (Since it will be the same curve on both sides, I only needed half.)

Then I simply measured the distance from the straight string-line to the curved glass surface at those 5 points and wrote it down.

Then I took that same length of string (length of the 59 glass) and stretched in inside the windshield of the three other cars in the driveway. And measured the same 5 points. Because the '59 glass is so small it will fit inside most other windshields which can then be cut down.

The 521 was not a match- too deep of a curve.

The MAzda MPV was too shallow of a curve.

BUT the Suzuki Swift GTi was 'almost' an exact match of curvature! Off by 1/16 at one point and 1/8 at another, but that could be measuring error and is still pretty close. The Swift is the same as the 89-94 Geo Metro, so glass is out there!

Also the Swift/Metro glass is flat top to bottom, like the '59.

DatsunSwiftGlass.jpg

Edited by fisch
Do you need the trunk prop? I have an extra.

I actually have a working trunk prop surprisingly!

Also I 'may' have found a replacement windshield wiper motor for this '59.

Since they based these electronics on Lucas stuff I started googling there.

Here is the most interesting find. It is from a Jaguar XKE (61-68 I think). Though the cheapest I've seen one is $150.

Granted, this was probably mounted in the engine bay like most wiper motors were, and will need to be flipped to put inside the cab under the dash of the '59. But I am hoping the arm is repositionable, so, if I need to, I can rotate it 180 so it won't try to run the wipers over the hood!

The bracket mounting holes are differently spaced, but I could prolly drill different different holes in the same plate.

Lots of extra wires on the XKE too, but I imagine they are for speeds and I can delete them?

JagXKE61-67WiperALL.jpg

Purple's

IMG_1040.jpg

Edited by fisch

! You beat me to it, I was searching for you last night and found pretty much the same thing. You might find it interesting that a Lucas SW4 style motor appears to be the ticket. Still spendy, but UK ebay seems to show them. If only the lister would have posted the car he pulled it from...

Here's another listing, saying they are NOS, and he has 2. He's even provided a Lucas PN. MODEL SW 4 LU 734357.

If all you can source is the motor, it looks like purple has some/all the linkage you'd need in one of his boxes. We'll find you one. :D

! You beat me to it, I was searching for you last night and found pretty much the same thing. You might find it interesting that a Lucas SW4 style motor appears to be the ticket. Still spendy, but UK ebay seems to show them. If only the lister would have posted the car he pulled it from...

Here's another listing, saying they are NOS, and he has 2. He's even provided a Lucas PN. MODEL SW 4 LU 734357.

If all you can source is the motor, it looks like purple has some/all the linkage you'd need in one of his boxes. We'll find you one. :D

Awesome Nuke! Dude you rock for looking!!! The one you've linked to is indeed pretty close!

But what is hard to see is how the motor mounts. (Cause it is very hard to get a picture of.) I took out my radio so I could snap one.

Essentially it mounted on the metal part of the motor rather than the rectangular box. (And the way that box sticks out totally means mine was removed to fit the radio.)

The way I think it goes is the motor's spinny thingy goes through the slot on this plate (with the three mounting holes). That spinny thing attaches to the short arm which then attaches to the long actuating arm.

IMG_5385.jpg

Thankfully it seems I have everything except the motor and the short arm that attaches to it. (Though I am missing one wiper and the blade part of the other!)

I just want to thank everyone for the support on this project! I feel like it is almost a team project! Y'all rock!

Edited by fisch

Looking at purple's and then your mount bracket, it really looks like the wiper motor is attached using the gear head and not the motor itself. That jag motor looks like it would bolt right in if you removed the adapter plate on the gearhead.

Just out of curiosity, maybe measure the 'tripod' legs on the wiper assembly in Oildrop? If the bolt spacing for the 521 gearhead matches the plate in the '59, then I don't think the motor itself really matters (the '59 IS 12V, right?). It takes about 15 minutes to remove the wiper motor in a 520/521. The linkage is sticking right into the passenger compartment above the package tray. Pull the little clippy inside and slide the arm off the linkage. Make sure you look at it first, there is a spring washer that needs to go back in the right place, and a couple of washers that will likely fall out. Then under the hood, unplug the connector, and pull the 3 bolts attached to the bracket. There are 3 more bolts that hold the wiper motor to the 521 mount bracket. It *looks* like a 521 motor without the bracket would go in your '59.

Here's a pic of mine removed from the bracket:

300_0047.jpg

300_0046.jpg

It might be worth looking into? The final orientation relative to the 521 might be upside down and backwards, but I think the arm could be moved to the correct position.

Measure it first, but I think the legs on the gear assembly are a pretty close match for the bracket you've photographed. Only take you a 1/2 hour or so to test fit it, if it looks like it's close. To keep it stock you'd probably want a 2 speed motor, but if you find a Jag unit, why not upgrade the switch too, get you some intermittents?

Just my thoughts...

Looking at purple's and then your mount bracket, it really looks like the wiper motor is attached using the gear head and not the motor itself. That jag motor looks like it would bolt right in if you removed the adapter plate on the gearhead.

Just out of curiosity, maybe measure the 'tripod' legs on the wiper assembly in Oildrop? If the bolt spacing for the 521 gearhead matches the plate in the '59, then I don't think the motor itself really matters (the '59 IS 12V, right?). It takes about 15 minutes to remove the wiper motor in a 520/521. The linkage is sticking right into the passenger compartment above the package tray. Pull the little clippy inside and slide the arm off the linkage. Make sure you look at it first, there is a spring washer that needs to go back in the right place, and a couple of washers that will likely fall out. Then under the hood, unplug the connector, and pull the 3 bolts attached to the bracket. There are 3 more bolts that hold the wiper motor to the 521 mount bracket. It *looks* like a 521 motor without the bracket would go in your '59.

Here's a pic of mine removed from the bracket:

300_0047.jpg

300_0046.jpg

It might be worth looking into? The final orientation relative to the 521 might be upside down and backwards, but I think the arm could be moved to the correct position.

Measure it first, but I think the legs on the gear assembly are a pretty close match for the bracket you've photographed. Only take you a 1/2 hour or so to test fit it, if it looks like it's close. To keep it stock you'd probably want a 2 speed motor, but if you find a Jag unit, why not upgrade the switch too, get you some intermittents?

Just my thoughts...

Damn good thoughts there Nuke!!! Woah that is pretty close. Once again the answer may be closer to the family than I thought. It is a 12v car. Though I don't know if the positive ground vehicle effects wiper motors? But I can look that up easy enough.

The distance for the 59 mounting holes is 2" between the smaller spaced holes and 3.25" for the farther out hole. It looks like the 521 is equal distant spacing? but I could redrill my bracket easy enough!

Yeah I'd like it to look more stock, but if I save cash on this unseen thing, that is more cash for the seen! Looking at e-bay, there are a ton of wiper motors that might do the job the 521 would. For as low a $24! A lot will depend on how much throw the spining part has, but that could probably be adjusted with changing the length of the mounting point on the short arm.

Great stuff here Nuke, Thanks! I've never even paid attention to what a wiper motor looks like before this!

Looking through my parts supersession book the clutch master cylinder (#30610-B0300) and slave cylinder(# 30620-30002) for the C engined L210 are only the same as the L211 and LG220. I have a bunch of other tidbits on the L210 i'll scan for you if you want.

PLEASE!!!!! I'd be your best friend! With all of y'all helping, this thread could be a great resource for other l210 owners down the road!

So given this info, it is looking like for the slave, an english counterpart might be the way to go. I contacted a guy who was selling a slave for a b-series british motor, and it appears the mounting holes are just about the same distance as the bolts I have on the 59 trans.

But for me, the slave purple showed is high on my shopping list! Did you have a chance to measure the bolt spacing Purple to be sure it was from a l210 or l211?

I've also been reading that these older British brake and clutch systems require dot4 fluid rather than dot 3 as dot 3 will eat the rubber for some reason?

Edited by fisch

The pos grnd change will not affect the wiper motor....or the starter....or the htr fan. They are not permanent magnet motors, so the field windings are the armature windings both reverse with the polarity.....meaning they stay relative to each other and therefore spin the same direction despite a polarity change.

This wiper motor looks pretty close.

100_0362.jpg

....also....you can use a different slave like I did on the NL. I didn't have the shaft. You might need to lengthen yours. The slaves are one of those wear items....do the work to put in a common one now and you won't have to sweat it when it goes out on your a couple years from now and you can't find another rare one. :)

DCP_6834.jpg

I'm pretty sure I used a 521 slave....you'd have to go back into my NL thread to see if I mentioned it. You can follow this pic back to my photobucket album to see the column shift trans pics.......to see if they match up :)

The pos grnd change will not affect the wiper motor....or the starter....or the htr fan. They are not permanent magnet motors, so the field windings are the armature windings both reverse with the polarity.....meaning they stay relative to each other and therefore spin the same direction despite a polarity change.

This wiper motor looks pretty close.

100_0362.jpg

Dude Mike, that looks like an EXACT match. Ding, ding, ding! Just upside down! Is it from Melvin? Does it work? You know you want to sell it to me! After all you won't be driving Melvin in the rain once it is topless, right??:lol:

Well it might not be a perfect match basing on this photo showing the mounting hole spacing as an even triangle ('59 isn't even spacing, but is a triangle) But the closest I've seen! May have to widen the spindle spot and redrill a mounting hole, but that is easy stuff. Especially for something that looks this close to stock.

I borrowed this pic from jefe de jefes 320 sheet metal sale thread. Hope you don't mind Jefe!

320partout002.jpg

Fisch, Maybe I messed it, but why do you want a new wiper motor. There are, at least here, places that will rebuild the motor if that's what you are having problems with. There is also a place, that I know the owner of, they will rebuild it for 12volt if its 6volt and vis-versa. We have had a few VW things done there.

Fisch, Maybe I messed it, but why do you want a new wiper motor. There are, at least here, places that will rebuild the motor if that's what you are having problems with. There is also a place, that I know the owner of, they will rebuild it for 12volt if its 6volt and vis-versa. We have had a few VW things done there.

Thanks for asking, but alas, mine is missing! It looks based on location that it was removed to put in the radio. But now that i am studying these things, I don't know why they didn't just flip it. There seems to be room for the butt (box) of it to stick out the other side of the bracket.

Though, Purple, I am studying the photo of yours and starting to wonder if it is a 320 one? The only reason I suspect it is because it doesn't use the rubber bushed mounting holes that you can see on the bracket where mine is missing? And mine doesn't have a hole where your lower right bolt seems to mount.:confused: But even if it is a 320 one, all the more proof it works!:)