Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

Hey Mike! I contacted Scotts right away, but they wrote back to say they start with a '62 1200 ute or the '64 bluebird and 320 and the 62 fairlady.

More glass info. I found out that windshields have a NAGS number. Unfortunately I don't think it the numbers I found earlier apply. They weren't always printed on the window. So it has to be looked up by year in old glass shop books. Or I think there are pay services out there. But I am also not sure how long the #'s have been used.

They are 7 digit #s and the first digits are DW for domestic windshields and FW for forign windshields.

Here is a site about it:

http://www.deltakits.com/newsletter/articles/0507-5.html

Fascinating!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fisch.

How bout a gasser look for the 59. Since it has a straight front axle. Go the other way just to be different. :eek:

You can always go back like you said.

And I think you should start selling your art work to fund the project. It looks like everyone want's a piece of your work. :cool:

Oh yea one more thing. This is going to be a blast to keep track of.

Scott's also sells it by the meter....so if you can match up the cross section, you can have just one glue point. They're saying they can't match up a premade gasket. I bought the rear 521 window gasket by the meter from them.....even though they don't offer the 521 gasket premade :)

Fisch do not forget about Central and South America for possible parts.

You can post want to buy ads in craigslist. Also see what ebay has for those areas. I used to collect slot cars and I would them all over the world.

Look at the pictures of the 59 1000 truck, I will bet it uses the same windshield, Also the early N & NL windshield might work. Do not give up hope until you have exhausted all resources. You already accomplished the impossible you have a rust free 59 Datsun nothing will stop Fisch on a mission!:cool::lol:

How very very kool is that! Seeing you tear into the 59 discovering all the lttle tricks & treasures is awesome! It looks virtually untouched & just dirty. Im subscirbing to this thread right now :D

Yeah...me too! What I like is that the gamble really paid off...I mean how often does that happen?:blink:

Fisch...you are the right man for the job here man!:cool:

LOVE the dash! Love the roadster motor idea and I LOVE the stock rims!

What are the rear rims from? They look a little wider...maybe more offset. Like they should be on the back of my 521!:D

Let me know if you find out what they are man...

And...GREAT JOB SO FAR!:cool:

Really!! Dude I had no idea they could do that. I bet there is something close, probably something from england or Germany. I ran out and grabbed the markings right away.

The windshield says 'Safety' then has a symbol under that, then the numbers 'P-58-K' and under that 'AS1'.

All of the side glass has the same wording. It is flat glass and I need the two triangle windows in the rear doors and the passenger-side rear roll up window glass. The wording is- 'Temperlite' there is a symbol under that then the letters "S-58-K" and under that "AS2".

Are these the right numbers or do I need to start digging under the gasket?

How AMAZING would it be if there was something else out there that would work!!! Hopefully something plentiful like a VW beetle!

How do we look these #'s up? i

Old 50's Fiat 1200's had sorta the same body style as did the old Morris Minors. Maybe you can cross reference one of their windshields?

Fiat:

fiat-1200-granluce.jpg

Morris:

602px-Morris_Minor_1000_green_woody_v.jpg

They have some differences but if they have the same curvature and will fit with modification may be a good bet. We have 2 1955 or so Fiat 1200's in a local junk yard, I could go check them out if you think it might work?

Let me know when you find a windshield, I need one too.

I wish I still had my stock one, it was in almost as good of shape. As Datsun made the Austin A40 and another Austin, I think they used the same windshield but I have not found one to measure. I think the Morris is more curved, but I didn't measure it either. I wanted to chop mine and was gonna use a VW Super Beetle cut down but now with the tall wife I have to leave the roof up high.:( The VW windshields are more narrow at the top than ours.

I would keep it all stock too, as I have many a goodie I haven't told you about......Shhhh, I have a few NOS and used parts tucked away, don't tell OK?:D Also, I can strip down my axle for you, and you can have it dropped and realigned at the same time. There's a guy on the HAMB that does it.

This shop is nearly local to me, and I've seen a lot of the custom stuff they've done on chopped rigs here in the valley. Maybe get in touch with them and see if they can create/reproduce a windshield for a reasonable cost.

Bob's Classic Auto Glass website

They have complete glass kits on ebay, it's a nice way to peek at their products.

Bob's Classic Auto Glass ebay Store

Last I knew, my dad spoke with him about 320 windshields a couple of years ago. Apparently they were talking about a 5-10 unit run. Not sure anything came of it, but my understanding was that the limiting factor was demand vs. cost, not the ability to manufacture them. Dad said they would have been right about $400 each for a run of 5, but he was reluctant to fork over the $2000 without any other prospective buyers.

Those rally Datsuns are awesome. Those are just the type of safety yellow lights that I want for my cabby.

Hey Joey B! Guys JoeyB is my good friend here in MA and he digs Datsuns. He will be helping me wrench on this bad boy, and is as excited as I am. So I told him he had to join Ratsun, even though he doesn't have a Datsun........ YET!!!!! (Remember they are rare as hell in NEw England.)

He does have a VW cabby though, which is almost as cool as a Datsun.;) I will convert him, just you wait!

Hey Joey B! Guys JoeyB is my good friend here in MA and he digs Datsuns. He will be helping me wrench on this bad boy, and is as excited as I am. So I told him he had to join Ratsun, even though he doesn't have a Datsun........ YET!!!!! (Remember they are rare as hell in NEw England.)

He does have a VW cabby though, which is almost as cool as a Datsun.;) I will convert him, just you wait!

Give him the body from the one roadster and take the R16 from it.. So many motor swap options for it. :lol:

as for the measurements the motor is about 16 inches from front to back, the width with carbs I'd say is about the same, and it is about 18 inches tall. With transmission it is about 51 inches from front to where the drive shaft begins.

I've been trying to find the pictures, but if its not raining I'll get you more exact measurements as my camera didn't have the photos I took for measurement.

Those rally Datsuns are awesome. Those are just the type of safety yellow lights that I want for my cabby.

Welcome to fisch's nightmare. :D

Good to have ya here. You'll have a datsun before ya know it. :eek:

i have a 58 truck with an l18 in it.fits well but the straight axle in front will prevent you from lowering the front without alot of cutting.to lower mine i made a new front axle.as for the windsheild,if you find one that is a close fit ,you dont cut it ,you sandblast off the parts you dont want.as for finding parts...well you got what u got.lol

i have a 58 truck with an l18 in it.fits well but the straight axle in front will prevent you from lowering the front without alot of cutting.to lower mine i made a new front axle.as for the windsheild,if you find one that is a close fit ,you dont cut it ,you sandblast off the parts you dont want.as for finding parts...well you got what u got.lol

Cool Datsunhead! Have you started a thread about your 58 truck? Please do! And if you have, send me a link!!

Do you have anymore info on the axle? Did you make it? What did you use? So are you saying even with the new axle you had to do some cutting? I don't need it to scrape the ground, but a little tire tuck would be nice!

Some more shots guys!

Check out that engine! She's a dirty girl!

IMG_5339.jpg

I started hosing her down and scraping 50 years of desert off her. Here she proudly shows she's a 37 HP c-engine. Notice the original blue paint still showing on the head. Actually it shows in a lot of places!

IMG_5346.jpg

Her Calling card.

IMG_5354.jpg

Everything is wet from the hose, but you can see how a light wash exposed the blue paint on the header! Didn't even scrub it. Also worth noting is the fuel pump in the lower left, see that ring, that is a priming ring to get the gas flow started! I've never seen that!

IMG_5362.jpg

This is really cool. Two of the spark plug wires look original and actually say 1959 on them! You can also see all the blue still on teh block where the well preserved oilfilter is screwed on.

IMG_5349.jpg

This is the voltage regulator. Looks like it should be in a mad scientists lab! Also see that lamp? I read in an article from 1959 that it used to have a 5 foot cord so you could use it to see anything in the bay. A factory work lamp!! Obviously the cord on mine has been shortened. EDIT- The guys schooled me, it totally still has its cord. See it in action on page 4.

IMG_5355.jpg

Lets go in the back seat! This is driver side rear door and is the best door panel in the car. But the other back door has an arm rest that is just as good as this one!

IMG_5361.jpg

Now we are sitting in the back seat. The door pillar on the left shows the paneling and this one has a spot for an opera light! But I have no idea what it looked like.:( You can also see the headliner falling down. It is worse behind me, but I am beginning to wonder if it can be resewn? I will have to examine it closer to see how brittle it is.)

IMG_5360.jpg

This is pretty cool, you are looking at the back of the front bench seat. There is a cool little ashtray that says 'Datsun' on it.

IMG_5359.jpg

Remember I mentioned the radio? Lets hop over the seat and take a closer look. It probably had bakelite knobs. The window cranks, levers and the other knobs seem to be. But I am not a bakelite expert!

IMG_5358.jpg

The plastic face of the radio has warped from desert heat. At first I wondered if it were an after market cause I've never seen a picture of one in a 59. But I peeked inside the case a little bit, and would you believe it says:

IMG_5357.jpg

So there's this evenings tour guys!

Edited by fisch