Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayno! All is well here. still a couple hours away from the eye. I was a little surprised that the projected path literally goes right over my house (I am inland) rather than up the coast! But the Datsuns are all in the garage!

• 3 months later...

Just read this Project Thread... good read... lots of info. Any updates?

Originally you mentioned an engine swap to a L-series. One person mentioned an A-series swap. The A-series may be easier ti get in there. I've seen where the Datsun "A" series is a popular replacement for Austins and MGs and maybe Morris also. The "Rivergate" upgrade puts a Datsun A-series trans in these vehicles. So if your engine is based on an Austin engine, maybe the A-series Datsun engine will fit? Just a thought as the 1200's motor make twice the HP of what you have.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Some more shots guys!

This is the voltage regulator. Looks like it should be in a mad scientists lab! Also see that lamp? I read in an article from 1959 that it used to have a 5 foot cord so you could use it to see anything in the bay. A factory work lamp!! Obviously the cord on mine has been shortened. EDIT- The guys schooled me, it totally still has its cord. See it in action on page 4.

IMG_5355.jpg

my s30 came with a factory lamp too, still works and has original cable thing was a life saver once i found out what it was.

Datsun65, I can't believe you found one. I actually have a scan of it that one of our fellow Ratsuners managed to score from an antique book seller. How many copies can be out there!

Where did you locate it?

As far as my 59 goes... I am slacker! It sits how you see it. Though I did start reassembly on the brakes only to find that one of the pivot points/guides for the shoe is broken off and MIA. A post type thing that is riveted to the backing plate.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hey man your art is great and it looks like your cars are pretty special keep at it

by the way did i read that wrong or do you own an 89 swift gti?

Indeed I do own an 89 Suzuki Swift GTI. And thanks for the kind words on the art and cars! Wish I had more time for the cars, but all time goes into the art these days. Alas, no updates.

Indeed I do own an 89 Suzuki Swift GTI. And thanks for the kind words on the art and cars! Wish I had more time for the cars, but all time goes into the art these days. Alas, no updates.

man i wish i had enough money to buy your streetfighter painting and the bullets inc truck, i also wish i was lucky enough to get my hands on a GTi my daily driver is a 93 geo metro same body but the GTi looks better and has more torque