Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you have time to be working on the car? Aren't you supposed to be painting or taping yourself eating cereal or something?

Despite the fact that Ang might cut yer nuts off, this keeps getting better and better.

This isn't work! Just a little... uh, sprucing up.:) Yeah that is it! But Ang was over today and we filmed TONS of cereal videos! I had cereal in every corner of my studio by the time we were done and one hell of a sugar high.

To clue the rest of you in, my latest kidsbook has a 5 in 13 chance to be on over 1,000,000 cereal boxes for general mills. But it will need to be voted in! So I am making viral videos to get internet votes and I will TOTALLY hit Ratsun up for VOTES come polling time in Oct!!!!! (Voting will go on for 10 days.) This would be HUGE for my book!

Here is a link to the book:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Jump!/Scott-M-Fischer/9781416978848

Ya got my vote. When the poll opens. :D

That has to be a blast to uncover all that cool stuff on the car. I've never had a car with that much treasure hidden in it. Keep the work going I'm lovin it.

When I was in high school I worked at an auto body shop and we did a 1930's caddy. We did find some cool stuff under all the crap on the car. They used to paint the cars with a brush back then. When we stripped it you could really see the brush marks. I have no idea what kind of paint it was. I'm guessing laquer. That stuff was thick.

I did find some really old coins that I still have. A couple indian head nickels, & an old dollar coin. And a really cool pocket watch.

Indeed! I also did this really funny book called Animals Anonymous. I made it look like an old spiral bound notebook and illustrated the whole thing in ball point pen! Over 50 drawings and doodles in this one. Written by Rich Michelson.

THis one is actually for ages 14 and up! So not quite a kidsbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Richard-Michelson/dp/1416914242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253762942&sr=1-1

Edited by fisch

hey fisch, funny we met this way.i was going to talk to you bout drawing up some logos for the doors on my truck.i will make you a windshield in trade for those hubcaps.....think bout it. im soo need them. the way the truck sits is a 3 inch drop on stock 15 inch steelies.whitewalls coming soon.

hey fisch, funny we met this way.i was going to talk to you bout drawing up some logos for the doors on my truck.i will make you a windshield in trade for those hubcaps.....think bout it. im soo need them. the way the truck sits is a 3 inch drop on stock 15 inch steelies.whitewalls coming soon.

Cool! You rock man! Though I think need to hold on to the hubcaps!:)

We could think about a trade of some door graphics for that windshield though!:D

So how did you drop that truck? I'd love to know!

Anyone know what the shift pattern would be with a 4-speed on the column? I have no clue.

I used to drive a '61 320 to the bus stop every day when I was a kid. From memory, it's a standard 'H' pattern with 1st and 2nd toward the driver. For reverse, pull out the end of the shifter, and push away from you and down.

Edit: Guess my memory isn't so good. See post #118 for the right answer:o

Edited by 72wagun

wow fisch, ididn't know you had so many books out! i searched your name on amazon last and came up got lost reading all the decribtions. i love to get some of you childrens books to read to my kids. we read a lot and i would really get a kick out of knowing you did the artwork and whatnot. let me know the best place to purchase your stuff.

wow fisch, ididn't know you had so many books out! i searched your name on amazon last and came up got lost reading all the decribtions. i love to get some of you childrens books to read to my kids. we read a lot and i would really get a kick out of knowing you did the artwork and whatnot. let me know the best place to purchase your stuff.

Awesome Charlie! Amazon is the place to go!

Depending on the age of your kids, my only little-kids books so far are Twinkle and Jump, but I am working on a third called Ruby Paris.

If they are like 5-11 years old, and dig Scooby Doo type stories, Grab 'the secrets of dripping fang' series! I illustrated the inside of those books too. They are a blast to read!

If they are Harry potter age, grab Peter Pan in Scarlet. I contributed 50+ silhouette illustrations to that book. But someone else did the cover. And the book was a pretty big deal (not me per say, just the author and the fact that it was Peter Pan) it was a NY Times best seller, because it was the first official sequel to the original Peter pan in 100 years.

But the one I think is the most fun is Animals Anonymous. Some of the humor is a little risque but not too bad. (Like Shel Silverstein) But is is all about the art in that one!!

Thanks dude!

My Simca is a 4 on the tree...like this:

1 3--;

/ / R

2 4

It requires a push away from you and then a pull towards your right leg.

No pulling out or anything...just a straight "L" shape away from you.

Thats actually a big part of why the guy gave me the car...he couldn't find reverse...said he tried for several days. :lol:

Looks great man...keep it up...when you have time;)

This isn't work! Just a little... uh, sprucing up.:) Yeah that is it! But Ang was over today and we filmed TONS of cereal videos! I had cereal in every corner of my studio by the time we were done and one hell of a sugar high.

To clue the rest of you in, my latest kidsbook has a 5 in 13 chance to be on over 1,000,000 cereal boxes for general mills. But it will need to be voted in! So I am making viral videos to get internet votes and I will TOTALLY hit Ratsun up for VOTES come polling time in Oct!!!!! (Voting will go on for 10 days.) This would be HUGE for my book!

Here is a link to the book:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Jump!/Scott-M-Fischer/9781416978848

hehehhee link me to where you vote. i can make it so that my computer alone can vote about 10000 times in 1 sitting :fu:

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention before, great thread! I love all the pictures. The interior looks just like the old '61 pickup our family had when I was younger. Tons of stories, and tons of memories.

You had to be careful if someone tried to give you a jump start (pos. ground). They would see the grounded cable on the battery, and try to hook up the cables backwards!! Fun times.

Thanks for all the pictures. Keep em coming!

Anyone know what the shift pattern would be with a 4-speed on the column? I have no clue.

Hi Scott, I'm very happy for you. Finding your dream car is awsome. Make it the way you picture it. Here is a photo of my shift pattern on the 64 l320, Hope this helps. Guy.

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03439.jpg

You rock Guy! Great thing to have in this thread. And how cool that your 320 still has that sticker!

(Man I wish I had your skills here to help me work on it! You know I am a fan!)

Indeed! I also did this really funny book called Animals Anonymous. I made it look like an old spiral bound notebook and illustrated the whole thing in ball point pen! Over 50 drawings and doodles in this one. Written by Rich Michelson.

THis one is actually for ages 14 and up! So not quite a kidsbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Richard-Michelson/dp/1416914242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253762942&sr=1-1

Fisch this makes me think of one of my favourite author/illustrators Edward Gorey.

:D I think it needs to be added to my collection as well

Fischie, I am SO stoked for you... I know we talked about this car a few times, and you KNOW where it would have wound up if you hadn't had dibs!!!

:fu:

Fontana got the shift pattern correct - The old fella that showed me how mine worked said, "Remember Superman - Up, up and away"... which helps your remember 1st gear - Away from you, and up.

2nd is straight down, 3rd is back to neutral, pull towards you, and up, and 4th is straight down again. Reverse - Pull stick out (towards passenger door), forward, down.

Rear end ratio is the same as the 320.

I guess all I can add is, please, please resist the temptation to mod it... It's way too rare and pristine to do anything irreversible... We'll find the parts, and making a windshield ain't that hard (I've cut a few myself).

You're gonna want to get a few measurements - First, the height and width.

Next, measurements of the curvature - Find the centerpoint, lay a straightedge on it, and measure how far back the edges are from the straightedge... Do this for the X and Y axis.

Then, it's off to the junkyard - Find a car with a BIG windshield, because you'll probably want to use the middle of it and trim off the outer edges. You'll have a little "wiggle room" because the windshield isn't a structural member like it is in new cars, and you can alter the frame a little if needed (the rubber seal will allow for some variation, but not much).