Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

Dug up some old pics from my past.

underfront.jpg

under3.jpg

rearend.jpg

Courier rear in mine.

under2.jpg

under1.jpg

ShastaRun.jpg

My original front axle might not be out of alignment since this is how I drive it. When I lived in Manteca it was flat land and the RR crossings were raised up so I would jump them. Good strong car.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome pics purple. I can't tell you how many times I studied your suspension shots before I even found a '59. I zoomed in on those things till they turned to pixels!

Nice radio shot too! Very different than mine. I've removed mine and should take some pictures of it for the class. Mine definitely says Datsun on it, but I wonder if it came from a 320 or something else. I really want that bench seat in the 221!

Hey what wheels are you running in that rally shot?

I was browsing earlydatsun.com and come across the Bluebird identification list. It says that the 58 model has the side trim that doesn't run the full length of the car and that the 59 was the first to get full length side trim. It also talks about the grills and how the 58 has 3 horizontal bars and the 59 has 10 horizontal bars. IF earlydatsun's information is correct, I think it might be possible you have a 58.

Below is Quoted from:http://www.earlydatsun.com/blue.html

DATSUN 1000 210

(1958 Model)

210photo.jpg

The 210 is essentially the same as the 114, with a new design front guards and grill, chrome side stripes and a new dashboard. It continues to use the 114's C series 988cc 34hp OHV 4cyl. engine. Nissan's production almost doubled after the introduction of this model.

DATSUN 1000 211

(1959 Model)

datsun211.jpg

The 211 has a new design grille with 10 smaller horizontal bars instead of the 210's 3 bars. The side strips now continue the full length of the car.

Honestly it's hard to tell since information on these cars is soo hard to come by...

New Zealand Classic Car also supports earlydatsun's claims.

1958 Datsun L210

1959 Datsun 211

Edited by ezcruiser

I've wondered this same thing EZ. I'm guessing they badged the 58' with 59' when they started exporting them. They sold so few in '58 it is very hard to find any of them. From what I've read, they only sold 83 that year! (And I think that might be all models!)

So yup, mine is a '58 but they stamped it '59 cause it must have missed that first boat!

Did you notice in the pictures ez posted the 58 does not have mirrors and the 59 does.

It's like the first pic in 67411sss's post, it has neither. But from the trim and grill, it could be an early 59 but most definitely a 58. A 57 model shows a small, maybe 8 inches, emblem on the side and fender turn signals.

1957114.jpg

There is a 1960ish fiat 1200 at a wrecking yard close to here, is that worth taking measurements off?

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! Great material here I can't wait to digest it! I am going to download it and print it. First thing I notice of course it that wiper motor being very different from the ones we've discussed. And neat that the bracket is flipped from mine in that illustration, for RHD I'd guess.

The front glass on that fiat would be awesome to measure. It looks really close. So next time you are there, if you have a tape measure close, please do!!

You are da MAN 67411sss, thanks!!

It's like the first pic in 67411sss's post, it has neither. But from the trim and grill, it could be an early 59 but most definitely a 58. A 57 model shows a small, maybe 8 inches, emblem on the side and fender turn signals.

1957114.jpg

Yeah mine has no holes where a side view mirror would have gone. Also mine has no mounting holes for where a passenger sun visor would go!!! There never was one! They are kinda funny really. Just a flat sheet of textured board. No sewn upholstery . And the rear view mirror is a thin piece of glass with a mounting clip! I will take some pics so you guys can see!

I wish mine still had those fender mounted blinkers though!! They moved them under the headlights and deleted them on my model.:( But the new location does add a little more visual interest to the nose.

On my 1961 Datsun , I was able to have all the car's Hydraulic system components rebuilt by Whitepost Restoration. Wheel cylinders were rebuilt with stainless steel sleeves. They also rebuilt the Brake Master, Clutch Master and Slave.

It was pricey, but they did a fantastic job. Super fast turn around time, as well.

http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

For brake hoses and clutch hose, I used :

KATY HYDRAULIC HOSE SERVICE

1322 FM 1463 RD

KATY, TX

77494-5472

Phone: 281-392-8823

Brought them my originals and in less than 30 minutes had brand new DOT approved hoses.

For your windshield, there was someone on ebay who periodically lists PL210/Pl211 windshields for sale for $400, Sorry, I don't have the contact info, but they have been offered up for sale within the last 6 months.

For engine/mechanical parts, I had problems trying to match nissan J13 parts to my E1 engine. I ended up buying parts from Moss Motors for a MGA. Things like the valve cover gasket, release bearing and even small parts from the Oil Filter Canister all fit perfect.

Good luck.

Sweet! I love the way that this place has all jumped in to help! What a dream come true for you Fisch! I am so glad that the help is so organic!

Maybe humans aren't all idiots after all!:cool:

I wish that I could go back in time to the JY that I went to in NewMexico last year...there were several cars that had front windows that looked like they would work. Fiats, Renault even old Datsuns...:blink:

Sorry man...it's just not last year anymore!:rolleyes:

Keep up the good work, and the pics!:D

Remember too that many cars back then were titled for the year they sold, not the model year or year of manufacture. So with old Datsuns like that there's some discrepancy when it comes to what years had what parts. Seems also that Nissan tried to use up available parts before going to a different style of part. So they'd use up what was left in the parts bin on a certain model and then switch to a different part in the mid life cycle of the body style.

Man Fisch 8 pages and not building yet! This I think is the Hottest thread on Ratsun. I am so happy for you that you are getting the support of the members here on Ratsun. Great Project & Great People. I am both learning and enjoying from this thread. Thank you

The long side trim and different grill are the 211 and Fisch and I have the 210 with short trim. Mine is altered of course but they used the same trim as the truck. In the US I don't think they sold the 1000 211, just the 1000 210 and the 1200 211. Fisch, is your back window 11" or 12" tall? Do your doors have bear claw latches or stars? Early is 11" and claws and late is 12" and stars. If one on each list it is a mid. Not sure when they changed these items. Also, my early had only a driver visor while the other had both. My late had the arm rest thing on all doors but my early has them only on the back doors. The tail light housings are bigger on the late and hadan extra chrome ring around the lens. The late had bullet lenses and the early had the flat lenses. real 58s came with the fender signals and mirrors.

Fisch, is your back window 11" or 12" tall? Do your doors have bear claw latches or stars? Early is 11" and claws and late is 12" and stars. If one on each list it is a mid. Not sure when they changed these items. Also, my early had only a driver visor while the other had both. My late had the arm rest thing on all doors but my early has them only on the back doors. The tail light housings are bigger on the late and hadan extra chrome ring around the lens. The late had bullet lenses and the early had the flat lenses. real 58s came with the fender signals and mirrors.

Just got back from the garage. Looks like mine has the 11" back window.

Here is a shot of the latches. I think these are bearclaw? (BTW that is dirt and old gasket in the channel, not rust. Sure looks like it though!)

P9300071.jpgP9300078.jpg

The tailights are bullet style, but they are Dietz 178, plastic, so I am guessing replaced?(One is broken) I have two chrome rings and there's one on there but you can see how the ring has a split in it.

P9300072.jpgP9300074.jpg

Some more detail shots:

Here is the visor I mentioned before. It is just a piece of textured board! It seems only the driver had this luxury as there is no mounting spot for the passenger side! So I guess they had to suffer the UV rays.:D

P9300067.jpg

Check out the rear view mirror. It is a piece of glass with a little clamp in the middle of it! I don't think I will adjust that (or the visor) much if I can help it! Be a shame to break them!

P9300070.jpgP9300069.jpg

A shot of the door hinge. I love how they tapered half of it.

P9300077.jpg

A shot of the front turn signal.

P9300075.jpg

And finally, the super sexy hood ornament!

P9300076.jpg

So with the evidence, what-cha think? Early 59?

Hey Scott? How about waxing the trunk lid and seeing what it looks like? :rolleyes:

I did a little TR3 on some spots to see what would happen. Cleaned up pretty well, but I need a buffer! The car is covered in this white chalky layer that comes off on your hand.

Buffer???? And risk burning through? You'll love that rig even more if you just do it by hand, a section at a time :) Give it a good washing with some real car was soap and most of that white chalky stuff will come right off.

So I think it would be a hoot to try to fire this thing up in the near future. So I have a couple questions for y'all.

-First, it is missing the keys for the ignition. I've never hotwired anything. It is a push button start. (At least I think that is what the button by the key hole is?) Do I need to hotwire it?

-Second, there are no radiator hoses or heater hoses. How long can I run an engine before worring about coolent. Or should I get some hoses on there and coolent before I do anything?

-Third, I just need to remember that it is apositive ground vehicle when I hook up the battery!

-I was told to crack the oil drain plug and see if any water comes out. Hopefully not! And the oil looked pretty fresh on the dip stick, but is at least 5 years old. Replace?

-Should I use some Marvels mystery or something? I pushed it around in a higher gear (before I found nutural) and there was some huffing from the carb and things were spinning, so I know it isn't frozen.

-The fuel pump has a priming ring lever thing on it so I should be able to run a line from a tank and get gas up to the carb.

Anything else or general recomendations for something like this?

Saddly I won't drive it since there is no clutch/slave or brakes. Not even a working e-brake.

But it would be neat to hear it run, even though the last foot or so of the tail pipe is broken off. (Heh, the pipe it ran is like 3/4" or some such thing! No 2 inch exhaust here!)

And speaking of that, this is a pic from earlier where the muffler has gotten so hot it burned the floorboard on top of it. What would cause that!?! They wrapped the muffler in tin too.

Burntfloor.jpg

Edited by fisch