Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

I don't remember if they're the same or not, but I would bet they are. You may be able to find a place that can make the brake hoses for you.

Only two hoses? There is usually one connecting a hard line near the frame to the hard line on the diff. Then, there's two more for the front brakes.....and you clutch hose if you replace it. :)

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two hoses? There is usually one connecting a hard line near the frame to the hard line on the diff. Then, there's two more for the front brakes.....and you clutch hose if you replace it. :)

Quite right Mike! There is a third in the rear. Don't know what I was thinking. (Shows how many times I've had to replace brake hoses!) DOH! I might have to borrow your signature!

Thanks Atom! I'd love to drive this thing out to see you guys! 34 HP across the country sounds like a blast! (If I had a lot of time it would actually be cool to back road it totally stock. Turn it into one of those drives for chariety!) I keep hoping some hollywood movie or museum will need a 59 so bad they ship it (and me) out there! And if they restore it, even better! (Where's 'Overhaulin' when you need it!) Though I tell you if I ever hot rod it (VG or CA etc...) and make it really stable, I will be itching like crazy to drive it across the country!

I've always wanted to roadtrip in a classic! Or a powertour if it had a bit more gusto! SOMEDAY!

Road trip in that car would be Epic! My friends and i in Atlanta want to do a east-west trip straight over to JCCS one year. The desert is going to burn us up and choke our carbs but we will make it one year!

I might have to meet up with you for that datsun power-tour Charlie!

• 2 weeks later...

Little update for y'all. First, PURPLE IS THE MAN!!!! Check out what he sent me in exchange for a print and a bunch of other surprises he should be getting any day! This is from his collection of '59 goodies. And he even painted the box purple. It was like freakin Christmas!

-Headlight buckets- Combined with what I have I can complete mine finally! (Mklots is hooking me up with gaskets from a 320, which should fit!)

-Brake M/C- this one does not need to be resleaved like my other does. Interestingly, it is a Tokiko and mine is a Nabco, even back then they switched it up!

-Slave Cylinder- Hot damn I need this piece so bad! Not only that but it doesn't need a rebuild by the looks of things!

-Taillight gaskets- Looks like british ones will fit the Datto!

-Rear Reflectors- Again British dudes to the rescue!

-Hood Hinge- Are you kidding me? Where would I have EVER found one!

-Interior light cover- A little epoxy and it will be as good as new!

-License Plate lamp cover- Not quite the same as stock, but I think I can get it to work!

-Finally, some rebuild kits. Prety random but I am pretty sure the clutch slave one will be golden!

THANKS PURPLE! I hope you dig the box headed your way!

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Here is some brake line info for future '59 owners. I think that the rear hose from a 320 would work for some of the brake lines, but might be long for the front brakes. I looked and looked, and it appears 521 hoses come close. But they have a clip system while the '59 has a big bolt to hold the line to the frame.

So I ordered custom lines. I checked with a few US companies (As I have none local) but none wrote me back so I am trying a company in Argentina I found through Ebay. I sent him these photos to have the lines made, and it was cheap, like $30 for three (including shipping)! They started their travel yesterday, so we will see how long they take to make it here.

1959DatsunBrakeHose.jpg

BrakeHardLine.jpg

I could find no visual match for the Clutch hose. Most these days seem to have a male and a female, not two males. So I also ordered that from Argentina!

1959DatsunClutchHose.jpg

So once these get here, the only thing I still need is a rebuild kit for the Brake MAster, but I am almost certain the wilwood 7/8 rebuild kit will work. Need to order one! (The clutch uses the same as the 521 clutch rebuild kit!) After that I should be able to plumb it all, and maybe even be able to take it for a romp in the yard!!

A note on fluid. I went ahead and got DOT4. I hear Dot 3 is a no-no with older systems, especially if they have original rubber like my rear cylinders will. THough DOT 3 is fine on the 521. I hear mixed things about DOT 5, so it is Dot 4 for me!

On to the hood latch! I need one. Both parts of mine are MIA, and the cable is toast. I have a pretty good suspicion that the latch system for a 320 will be a match.

Here are some photos of the '59. The thing to note is that the spacing between mounting holes (to the outside of the holes) is 2 1/2". Not sure if it is the same on a 320, but I'd bet it is! Can someone confirm it for me! I will be your best friend!

Upper Spot.

IMG_1844.jpg

Lower Spot.

IMG_1843.jpg

Here is the bottom of a 320. Look at teh oval shape of the unit and then look at the spot for it in the photo above. There is a faint oval there too. Really makes me think it is a match!

nl320engine_bay.jpg

I can find no photos of the upper latch on the hood of a 320, if anyone has one or can take one, (And measure it too!) I will be your best friend too!

So I need to buy one if it fits! I have a couple leads but will try to put an ad in the wanted section! Thanks guys!

LOL!!! Thanks Bonvo!! I probably would have just scanned this post....and not closely enough. Here you go Scott...hope these help :)

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

The 320 uses a hard rod linkage...not a cable

Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but a lot of things like brake lines probably cross over to british applications. I know MG's and such are big back east, so you may want to take the hoses into one of their shops and see if they can match it up. Remember, these old Datto's are licensed copies of BMC Austins.

Hell yeah Mike! Thank you so much. That pretty much confirms it is a match for the '59! Super news! Can't thank you enough! The rod linkage is totally different though, but sourcing a cable shouldn't be too hard. I think someone recently did a write up on using a bicycle cable! I will have to dig for it.

Yellow, yup I hunted the English brake stuff first thing. So much of this car is British I could probably take it to a Brittish car show!! Alas I couldn't find a match in that world either. Almost found something on a Puegeot, but it wound up being metric.

You guys rock, Thanks!

A note on brake fluid. I went ahead and got DOT4. I hear Dot 3 is a no-no with older systems, especially if they have original rubber like my rear cylinders will. Though DOT 3 is fine on the 521. I hear mixed things about DOT 5, so it is Dot 4 for me!

DOT 3 and 4 (both glycol-based) and the new 5.1 are compatible. DOT 5 is silicone-based and a completely different animal. Google is your friend if you want to know more.

Suffice to say, you *** CAN NOT *** mix DOT 5 with the others....PERIOD!!!

I know others may disagree, but I wouldn't even think of using DOT 5 unless the system specifications call for it, especially in our old Datsuns.

I am trying a company in Argentina I found through Ebay. I sent him these photos to have the lines made, and it was cheap, like $30 for three (including shipping)!

They started their travel yesterday, so we will see how long they take to make it here.

Yes. We had a friend living in Argentina for a year. Mail can be iffy. Sometimes stuff would get there in 2 weeks, sometimes months, and sometimes never. Hopefully, leaving the country will be better. Killer price!

Suffice to say, you *** CAN NOT *** mix DO 5 with the others....PERIOD!!!

Totally! I read that too. Hope you didn't think I was suggesting mixing when I said "I hear 'mixed' things about Dot 5..." :D

So I ordered custom lines. I checked with a few US companies (As I have none local) but none wrote me back so I am trying a company in Argentina I found through Ebay. I sent him these photos to have the lines made, and it was cheap, like $30 for three (including shipping)! They started their travel yesterday, so we will see how long they take to make it here.

In case this doesn't work out, there is an old shop near my home which makes custom , DOT approved brake hoses. They made me a set for my 1961 SPL213. Brought in my old hoses, and in a half hour and I had perfect replica hoses. The hoses worked perfectly.

If you need help, I'd be happy to bring the hoses over to their shop to have them made. Price was about 110 for the brake hoses. Just let me know.

Good to know! Thanks Datsun65! And thanks for letting me know the price too! I was wondering!

Yeah for $30 shipped I thought what the heck, I will try Argentina. I am not in a huge hurry and there are so many things that need attention on this buggy and I am so swamped with work I don't have much time for the garage right now anyway. The guy was really great. Asked a lot of measurement questions. Was very impressed that I took the time to send him exact pictures and measurements. He actually made them for me over the weekend so he could ship the following monday. I read somewhere there might be an import duty tax when I have to pick them up, but hope the tax won't be that much on $22 (price before shipping).

If it all works out I will be sure to let y'all know!

by the looks and measurements of mikes pic's, the upper and lower latches look the same as the 520's, I so happen am parting out 2 520's ~ I sent you a pm Scott...

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg