Fisch's 1959 Datsun 1000 project! Peeking in the oilpan!

fisch

Aww yeah dudes! Awesome day for the '59! First, I GOT THAT FREAKIN REAR DRUM/HUB OFF!!!! I think the combination of the grade 8 hardware on the puller, Melting real bees wax on the heated hub twice, and a little muscle from the BFH finally did the trick!!! You can imagine how happy I was, and nothing broke!

Check it out, you can see that there isn't any rust on the spindle, it was just a tiiiiight fit! Also notice the adjusters are on the cylinder itself and not down below.

IMG_1557.jpgIMG_1558.jpg

A quick brushing showed that everything was looking pretty sweet for a freakin 1959 vehicle! Here you can also see the bearing retainer plate that is only accessible once you are inside the drum. (I was sure to cover the bearing hole before I cleaned them.) Pads look pretty good too!!

IMG_1563.jpg

And and here is the prize I was after. The wheel cylinder! Good ole Tokico 7/8. Man it cleaned up well under that brake dust. Not only that but look how new the rubber still looks! (I think the caps are pretty close to original as they are Tokico. (Further evidence that I believe it is a 21K car.) I don't even think it needs a rebuild, BUT there was enough gummy brake juice that it totally needed to be cleaned out. QUESTION, how do I get the really hard brake gunk off the metal pistons (There are only a couple tiny spots)? Brake cleaner didn't budge it. Steel wool? Or just use my fingernail?

IMG_1561.jpg

Finally, in even bigger news- I got the official title in my name today!! Woo-hoo! The MA DMV is tough. I even need a death certificate for the deceased original owner! But I came out on top cause they only taxed me on the purchase price on my bill of sale. Normally they charge you on the high retail value in this state- no matter what the condition is! (I kid you not, there are dudes who go to register a 1932 ford shell with no motor and rust everywhere and get charged what a fully restored one sells for! It is criminal, but is it MA.) However no one has a record of what a '59 Datsun sells for!!!!! So after calling Boston to find out what they should do, they finally had to go with my bill of sale! WOO-HOO!

Title2.jpg

Great day indeed! However the next big hurdle is that the lug nuts on the other side are stripped out. And to make it harder, they are reverse left hand threaded. And to make it even harder, they appear to be METRIC!!!! :blink: (So mopar l-hand threads won't work.) Lug Nut King has some 12mm L-hand nuts. (I guess some Alphas had them.) I am praying they will fit! Cause, though the Mopar ones I have will thread on, they are so loose they will not hold the force of the puller at all! (Nor would I use them for driving! Yikes!) Wish me luck!

• Like 1
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fuck looks like you didnt even have to take it apart to begin with bout time that shit came off did you get both sides or just the one to come off

and now that its apart put some new studs in it

Thanks guys! B, still have the other side to do, and it is a bit tougher because it has the reverse l-hand threads, and is metric, and every nut but one I have is stripped out. I think the studs will hold if I can track down some new nuts!

Thanks guys! B, still have the other side to do, and it is a bit tougher because it has the reverse l-hand threads, and is metric, and every nut but one I have is stripped out. I think the studs will hold if I can track down some new nuts!

i think if i were you i would do the welding sugestion made earlier then once its off replac it with some regular right hand studs that way you know your gonna get it off without having projectiles shoot accross the room and finding lugnuts later down the road becomes easier

Congrats Fisch on both victories. Before tearing into the other side pop out 1 of the studs from the drum and get them matched up and buy enough for both sides. You should be able to get right and threaded metric nuts from a good nut & bolt distributor. Also if you plan on running cust mag wheels you will need longer studs. I new you could win the battle! Bees wax I will have to remember that one.

A good TrueValue or Ace hardware store should have or be able to get you the LH nuts. I'm thinking you could get about 9 of them in gr8(sae) or 10.9(metric) and double or triple up the nuts on the bolts....get as much thread hold there as you can.

Thanks guys! I will try an ace Mike. It would be great to get two nuts on the stud rather than one long lugnut for sure.

Alas I don't have a welder! But if the studs won't hold, it may be an excuse to finally get one!

I know replacing the LH studs w/ RH is the logical choice, but there is that part of me that thinks the LH, though annoying, contributes to the character of the '59. We will see if logic or emotion prevails! Longer studs would be great cause charlie is right, mags won't fit these studs!

If you ever take it to a shop to have the tires done, they'll try to impact them the wrong way....possible damage.....add that to the logic side :)

So true! And I've been looking quite a bit for L hand threaded M12 1.5 wheel studs and no one has them. So if I ever did want to run mags, I couldn't use um. I can get the L nuts from a couple places, but not the studs. Seems to be pretty easy to get R-hand studs in a M12 1.5, though. I am pretty sure that is what's on a 620, right? The 521 that has the non-metric.

I called about 6 fastener companies (pure fastener companies, not hardware stores) in an hour radius today, and no one has a LH M12 1.5 nut locally. But they could order it.

In other news, the second front drum came off like a dream! Only one left!

SO your saying all the drums are pressed on like that? Wow...

Totally! The fronts are real easy though because the spindle doesn't move since the hub drum assembly rotates around it on bearings. Heh I barely even needed a wrench to remove the spindle nut. Actually the hardest part was removing the cotter pin!

Ace Hardware might possibly stock Grade 8 LH nuts. If you change all to RH you do not need to buy LH lug Nuts just to remove the other side. The fronts are probably LH also. If you are going to change to all RH studs then just use LH nuts off the front to get the rear hub off and save your money for all RH studs & nuts.

Ace Hardware might possibly stock Grade 8 LH nuts. If you change all to RH you do not need to buy LH lug Nuts just to remove the other side. The fronts are probably LH also. If you are going to change to all RH studs then just use LH nuts off the front to get the rear hub off and save your money for all RH studs & nuts.

Thanks Charlie! I tried Ace and they didn't have M12 1.5 LH nuts. And some places will have M12 1.75 but not M12 1.5. Of course L-hand makes it tougher! I wish I could use the ones from the front, alas the whole car only came with 6 l-hand nuts total, and every one is stripped out except one.

I don't have a welder, but have been wondering if epoxy on a stripped nut would hold long enough to use the puller. If I decide to replace the studs, it couldn't hurt to try it!

Fisch...

This will cure your blues my friend. I forgot to post it, but the day you posted the thread saying it was for sale I purchased it, and got it a day or two later i think?? Anyways. I took a picture as i said but forgot to post it. Here you go buddy :D

This is my youngest, Andrew Jacob. he is 4 turning 5 this year.

IMAG0328.jpg

Fisch...

This will cure your blues my friend. I forgot to post it, but the day you posted the thread saying it was for sale I purchased it, and got it a day or two later i think?? Anyways. I took a picture as i said but forgot to post it. Here you go buddy :D

This is my youngest, Andrew Jacob. he is 4 turning 5 this year.

IMAG0328.jpg

Awesome izzo!!!!!!! Man that makes me so happy! I am doing a performance of JUMP today for a ton of kids, thanks for the inspiration!

SUCCESS! Psyched to report I got the last drum off the '59!! I know it isn't a big deal, but man have they been fighting me!! Once again the combo of the puller, BFH, HEating it, and beeswax did the trick!

I got LH M12 1.5 lug nuts and they held with no problem! Which means I probably won't do a stud swap immediately.

A quick brushing.

DriverRearBrake.jpg

Oooo pretty! This one also doesn't look like it needs a rebuild.

RearDriverBrakeCylinder.jpg

Finally, I got the brake hoses off too. I am no expert on brake hoses, but have y'all seen some like this? Where they go into the bracket where the hard line connects, there is a huge threaded nut that holds it in place and then that is hollowed out and threaded the male hard-line fitting screws in.

Finding exact replacements might be tough. But I am wondering, as long as I get a hose with the same thread pattern, can I just use ones that stay in place with clips? The bracket is the kind with a full hole in it.

BrakeHose.jpg

Cool Mike! good to know that is an option. I wonder if there is a hydraulic place around here that could do the same. I will have to look.

Do you know if the rear of the L320 is the same as the NL320?

The rear of the '59 is hardline actually so I only need two hoses. Bonus!