Yeh, the knife thingy is a stretch. With guns, specially automatics, even semi you can kill on massive acale, lets say in 5 min, vs knife in 5 minutes. Also if u see a guy coming at you w a knife, you have the ability to protect yourself. As the saying goes, "typical..........brings a knife to a gun fight"

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole discussion is really a result of the fact that humans are bad at risk analysis.

Outside of living in some very specific places under very specific circumstances, your chances of being killed by a gun are really statistically insignificant. Our cars and diet are the most likely things to kill us by a large margin.

But gun deaths are outside of our control and sudden and flashy and capture our attention. But in reality this is a big waste of resources if the goal is to prevent people from being killed. But we are not a rational species.

Gun deaths are flashy and capture our attention? What percentage of murders are gun related? Statistically more people die of old age, but eating fried food and car accidents aren't the same as an act of violence with the intent to end a persons life. The Vegas perp didn't throw a bunch of pork rinds out his window. If all we used was risk analysis to define a threat, why are we making such a big stink about Muslim terrorists? Apples and Oranges.

• Like 1

In the case of eating salt and sugar overladen foods and other pastimes that have been advertised to be "fun" and then die of them  - acceptable.

Being blown up by a (deleted) or shot by some deranged (CIA or other black op False Flag patsy) - unacceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagmeet_Singh

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-think-jagmeet-singhs-religion-could-hurt-his-chances-of-winning-an-election-poll

Canadians think Jagmeet Singh's religion could hurt his chances of winning an election: poll Being a practising Sikh will hurt new NDP leader Jagmeet Singh’s chances in an election, an Angus Reid poll suggests

I give you, the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind. 

Michael Moore

My Proposal to Repeal the Second Amendment and Replace It With This:

PROPOSED 28th AMENDMENT TO THE US CONSTITUTION 

“A well regulated State National Guard, being helpful to the safety and security of a State in times of need, along with the strictly regulated right of the people to keep and bear a limited number of non-automatic Arms for sport and hunting, with respect to the primary right of all people to be free from gun violence, this shall not be infringed.”

I, Michael Moore, along with all who support an end to this epidemic of gun violence, propose a new Amendment to our Constitution that repeals the ancient and outdated 2nd Amendment (which was written before bullets and revolvers were even invented), and replaces it with a new 28th Amendment that guarantees States can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies), allows individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food, and guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).

This amendment would allow states and the federal government to pass laws that would regulate gun ownership in the following manner:

• As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner). This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.

• All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned.

• No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets.

• To activate a gun for it to be used, the trigger must recognize the fingerprint of its registered owner. This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun.

• One’s guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.

• To own and operate a gun one must obtain a license (like one does to operate a car). To get a license you have to complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check.

• As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded. And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun - and requiring its storage outside the home - easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.

• Current restrictions placed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), due to successful lobbying by the NRA, have prohibited them from studying the gun violence epidemic in the US. These rules need to be removed and the funding restored. Science will then be free to find out why we are ALONE among nations in killing each other at such a massive rate (hint: It’s not just the guns - it’s us as Americans).

These are a few of the regulations that can be enacted to both protect society yet not deny hunters and sportsmen their fun. This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs -- everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager. We will never eliminate all murder; that’s been with us since Cain killed Abel. But we CAN join the community of enlightened nations where gun violence is that rare occurrence — as opposed to the daily tragedy we now suffer here in the United States of America. This can come to an end with the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and replacing it with the 28th Amendment.

For those who believe it will be impossible to do this, let me close by sharing with you two important facts that should give us hope:

1. We are not a country of gun nuts. 77% of all Americans do NOT own a gun! If three-quarters of the country has decided they have no need for a gun, three-quarters of the country may also decide they have no need for an archaic amendment that allows retired accountants to own 47 assault weapons. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 77%!

2. When President Obama tried to get Congress to pass simple, common sense gun control legislation after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, polls showed 90% of the country backed him! But the NRA beat him. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 90%!

We can start with the upcoming midterm election. Let every candidate know: If you take NRA money, we will 

remove you from office.

Then do it.

So much to comment on. Moore is an idiot.

Here in Louisiana I would say it is close to 100% gun ownership. If not that then a good solid 90%. Back home in Wisconsin at least 80%, if not a bit more.

• Like 1

Gun deaths are flashy and capture our attention? What percentage of murders are gun related? Statistically more people die of old age, but eating fried food and car accidents aren't the same as an act of violence with the intent to end a persons life. The Vegas perp didn't throw a bunch of pork rinds out his window. If all we used was risk analysis to define a threat, why are we making such a big stink about Muslim terrorists? Apples and Oranges.

You proving that we're being controlled by irrational fear?

10-big-killers-824.jpg

About 12,000 deaths a year from gun violence. The death rate from terrorism since 9/11 per year averages just over 30.

So many people die annually from gunfire in the US that the death toll between 1968 and 2011 eclipses all wars ever fought by the country. According to research by Politifact, there were about 1.4 million firearm deaths in that period, compared with 1.2 million US deaths in every conflict from the War of Independence to Iraq. So the misinterpretation of the second amendment, the NRA and gun makers have led to more deaths than the actual enemies of the US, and all in just the last 50 years. 

Not once have they been used to protect the user from a tyrannical government. Well, not successfully, if you believe the winner gets to write the history.

So much to comment on. Moore is an idiot.

Here in Louisiana I would say it is close to 100% gun ownership. If not that then a good solid 90%. Back home in Wisconsin at least 80%, if not a bit more.

"In the 2010 Census, the number of people under age 18 was 74.2 million (24.0 percent of the total population). The younger working-age population, ages 18 to 44, represented 112.8 million persons (36.5 percent). The older working-age population, ages 45 to 64, made up 81.5 million persons (26.4 percent)."

While I know kids do own guns, perhaps thinking about his statistics with age in mind will help.

I give you, the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.

Michael Moore

Michael Moore

October 4 at 4:00am ·

My Proposal to Repeal the Second Amendment and Replace It With This:

PROPOSED 28th AMENDMENT TO THE US CONSTITUTION

“A well regulated State National Guard, being helpful to the safety and security of a State in times of need, along with the strictly regulated right of the people to keep and bear a limited number of non-automatic Arms for sport and hunting, with respect to the primary right of all people to be free from gun violence, this shall not be infringed.”

I, Michael Moore, along with all who support an end to this epidemic of gun violence, propose a new Amendment to our Constitution that repeals the ancient and outdated 2nd Amendment (which was written before bullets and revolvers were even invented), and replaces it with a new 28th Amendment that guarantees States can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies), allows individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food, and guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).

This amendment would allow states and the federal government to pass laws that would regulate gun ownership in the following manner:

• As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner). This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.

• All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned.

• No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets.

• To activate a gun for it to be used, the trigger must recognize the fingerprint of its registered owner. This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun.

• One’s guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.

• To own and operate a gun one must obtain a license (like one does to operate a car). To get a license you have to complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check.

• As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded. And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun - and requiring its storage outside the home - easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.

• Current restrictions placed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), due to successful lobbying by the NRA, have prohibited them from studying the gun violence epidemic in the US. These rules need to be removed and the funding restored. Science will then be free to find out why we are ALONE among nations in killing each other at such a massive rate (hint: It’s not just the guns - it’s us as Americans).

These are a few of the regulations that can be enacted to both protect society yet not deny hunters and sportsmen their fun. This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs -- everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager. We will never eliminate all murder; that’s been with us since Cain killed Abel. But we CAN join the community of enlightened nations where gun violence is that rare occurrence — as opposed to the daily tragedy we now suffer here in the United States of America. This can come to an end with the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and replacing it with the 28th Amendment.

For those who believe it will be impossible to do this, let me close by sharing with you two important facts that should give us hope:

1. We are not a country of gun nuts. 77% of all Americans do NOT own a gun! If three-quarters of the country has decided they have no need for a gun, three-quarters of the country may also decide they have no need for an archaic amendment that allows retired accountants to own 47 assault weapons. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 77%!

2. When President Obama tried to get Congress to pass simple, common sense gun control legislation after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, polls showed 90% of the country backed him! But the NRA beat him. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 90%!

We can start with the upcoming midterm election. Let every candidate know: If you take NRA money, we will

remove you from office.

Then do it.

Hahaha! That guy is so out of touch with actual Americans that I thought he was Canadian. Seriously, I was shocked to learn he was actually a U.S. citizen.

• Like 2

About 12,000 deaths a year from gun violence. The death rate from terrorism since 9/11 per year averages just over 30.

So many people die annually from gunfire in the US that the death toll between 1968 and 2011 eclipses all wars ever fought by the country. According to research by Politifact, there were about 1.4 million firearm deaths in that period, compared with 1.2 million US deaths in every conflict from the War of Independence to Iraq. So the misinterpretation of the second amendment, the NRA and gun makers have led to more deaths than the actual enemies of the US, and all in just the last 50 years. 

Not once have they been used to protect the user from a tyrannical government. Well, not successfully, if you believe the winner gets to write the history.

Yeah, that one time it didn't work

pl9aoelfimqxobxkibho.jpg

1654342.jpg

wounded-knee.jpg

• Like 3

License.... No.

Insurance..... No.

Fingerprint trigger.... Fuck no.

I already overpay for a license to drive on roads that I pay for. Hunting license. Fishing license. Vocational licenses. Yeah, they get enough license money from me already, thanks.

a local dim/dem ex-congressman whom I grew up with was ranting in the barber shop a few years back about wanting to spare no expense to keep kids off drugs. I told him we ought to make hunting and fishing license free for impoverished kids since they're the ones who can't afford the licenses that are required right about the age (16 here in Oklahoma) when most of 'em are getting into drugs. It might not save a bunch of 'em but if it saved one it would be worth it, right? nope. dude turned pale and said, "No, we need that revenue!". sure we do.

• Like 2

a-journalists-guide-to-firearm-identific

Cortina MKIII? You telling me that I was ACTUALLY driving an AK-47,

when I had one? 

Of course,mine was a two door.

I agree about people killing people but could you kill me from 20' away with a pair of scissors.knife.a bat,stick,bare hands,etc. ? i seriously doubt it.With that gun i'm dead.I have no chance.There's no outrunning a bullet.

20' away? Rock, slingshot&or sling, spear&or atlatl, bow&arrow, hunting boomerang, blowgun with darts, etc...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Twain

Counting the total number of deaths for wars against that of the total number of firearms misses the very important change in POPULATION numbers over that time. Note: the non-firearm homicides are still higher then firearm homicides. But realistically most of those firearm deaths are not average people, they are poor urban areas inhabited by gangs. Per the CDC 80% of those gun deaths were due to gangs. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf 

That means 11,000*.2= 2200 gun deaths due to non-gang members. Out of ~300 million people in the USA.

So for probability of a single random event (and it is not random!) it is 2200/3x10^6=0.00000733333 or 0.00073% chance of dying from a gun if you are not a gang member but live in the USA. So 1/136,000 approximately. I've seen other numbers of a wide range posted and of course this makes many assumptions, but you can at least see my math and reasoning. To give that some perspective the odds of being struck by lightning during your lifetime are 1/3000.

To summarize, you are going to die, I am going to die, we are all going to die. How that happens is anyone's guess.

• Like 3

20' away? Rock, slingshot&or sling, spear&or atlatl, bow&arrow, hunting boomerang, blowgun with darts, etc...

Yea i guess if i just stood there and waited to be attacked it's quite possible isn't it.How many darts from a blowgun would it take for it to be lethal ? 

You don't get it.

I guess you're right.i don't get how a sane,logical,sensible person could feel as if a knife,rock,spear or whatever is just as lethal as a gun unless you just sit and wait to be attacked.Please enlighten me.Of all these weapons mentioned which one would you be most concerned about ? i bet you won't answer that.