WTF when did datsun prices sky rocket???

Can't find a car worth the price. I deployed last year and wanted another 510 possibly a 240 or 260 maybe even a 610 when i returned home but now that I'm back prices have gone crazy... so what happened? I bought my first 510 in 08 for $1700 and its a decent car but now cars are going for no less than 5000 for a rust bucket with no floors!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any vehicle is worth only what a motivated and sober buyer is willing to buy it for!  You are in the San Francisco greater sales area.  Post in the"For sale " area and see what San Francisco / East bay Yuppies are willling to expend their IRA accounts that are coming due to buy,  You might get lucky!

Restored...restored means bring back to original shape, i see black bumpers and no chrome on that, restored for 18k my ass.  I know i got a hell of a deal on Art with how much shes insured for and appraised at, but i would not of spent even the 18k on her no matter how much i love the car >.>   Some people i just want to shove my foot up their ass with their asking prices. 

you guys are giving Leno too much credit.

The ball was already rolling long before that little internet feature.

--carter

^^^^This. Everybody needs a scapegoat, and the more untouchable, the better.

As an experiment, my brother and his roommate decided to create a "bubble" in the market a few years ago. They had a particular car(make/model) that they wanted to inflate the market value of, so they started posting pictures of them online with ridiculously outlandish prices. At first, there was not much response, but gradually over time(a few weeks), they noticed the price of this once cheaply obtainable vehicle beginning to climb. Others began matching their prices, and people were still buying! It doesn't make sense, but it happens.

This is exactly what has happened in the Datsun scene. I saw it happening YEARS before the phrase "Leno Effect", which has now been adopted as the reason people can't pick up a 2dr 510 for peanuts, was been accepted as gospel.

Shovel the blame off on some celebrity that you'll never meet in person if it makes you feel better, but the true reasons these cars are becoming unobtainable for less than a paycheck can be found within the halls of this very forum.

• Like 2

Sorry I didn't realize how much this topic has been covered! Unfortunately im seeing all the hack job cars come out of the woodwork in this area and trying to haggle with a teenager with a pile of rust how thinks he is sitting on a gold mine hurts my head. Im going to find a yugo get a maaco paint job put 18's on it and see if I can get $10,000 hahaha

We have 4 teenage boys and i think we pay more than $800. for all of us for food every month, and we hardly ever go out to eat.

You have to pay to play.

Ask your UPS or FED-EX guy to keep an eye out for you ,, it sounds crazy but they get behind houses you could never see, and have a reason to talk with owner.. try it.

• Like 1

Ask your UPS or FED-EX guy to keep an eye out for you ,, it sounds crazy but they get behind houses you could never see, and have a reason to talk with owner.. try it.

Also CATV or phone guys.In one day hanging from poles, I found 2 67 Chargers,A bug-eyed Sprite & a 68 RS Camaro in one neighborhood

• Like 2

It's all BULLSHIT!!!! I tell you, bull.... shit! Unless you don't have one and want one, then you have a problem. If you have one (any Datsun) it might be worth more by next week, and again... so what? unless it was bought as an investment no one cares, or no one should care!

I know what I paid for my 710s and what I put into them wasn't to increase it's value but to make them more fun to own and drive. If they increased in value it has no effect on me whatever. Jay Leno likes 510s?  Whoopie fuckin dooo he has hundreds or thousands of vehicles he 'loves' and can afford to love them. If you want to see skewed car values look no farther than a  Barrett Jackson reality show. The rich ripping off the rich using a car as an investment.

If nothing else, rarity drives up the price of any car every year.  A '51 chevy will be worth more next year because there will be fewer around.

Nostalgia is another. Baby boomers who are successful look back an remember their grandfather's old Buick and want one. Good times recaptured

Popularity is another. Real or perceived.

Only reason I can see for worrying about the rising prices is you are used to grabbing a $200 510 and driving the shit out of it and then throw it away and get another and another and another. If you really wanted and liked the 510 you would have one by now and if it was worth 6 times what you paid for it you really couldn't care less.

• Like 1

Richard aka Goichi on the Realm built a resto-mod SR20 Bluebird Coupe while he was in the Air Force stationed in Japan. A really tasteful, well done car. He shipped it to the States when he came back, put it up for sale at $40k and the car sold to a guy in Australia. I don't think Leno had anything to do with that. To be honest I think the price of the 510 has been held artificially low for decades, because of the residual image of the "disposable Japanese car". No one saw them as "collectable" cars. I think the shift we are seeing is a generation that grew up driving Japanese as kids now have the disposable income to relive their youth. I think one of the biggest effects on classic Japanese car values is when that GT 3000 Toyota sold for $1.4 million. That kind of money makes the wealthy's ass pucker. 

Richard aka Goichi on the Realm built a resto-mod SR20 Bluebird Coupe while he was in the Air Force stationed in Japan. A really tasteful, well done car. He shipped it to the States when he came back, put it up for sale at $40k and the car sold to a guy in Australia. I don't think Leno had anything to do with that. To be honest I think the price of the 510 has been held artificially low for decades, because of the residual image of the "disposable Japanese car". No one saw them as "collectable" cars. I think the shift we are seeing is a generation that grew up driving Japanese as kids now have the disposable income to relive their youth. I think one of the biggest effects on classic Japanese car values is when that GT 3000 Toyota sold for $1.4 million. That kind of money makes the wealthy's ass pucker. 

It's all BULLSHIT!!!! I tell you, bull.... shit! Unless you don't have one and want one, then you have a problem. If you have one (any Datsun) it might be worth more by next week, and again... so what? unless it was bought as an investment no one cares, or no one should care!

I know what I paid for my 710s and what I put into them wasn't to increase it's value but to make them more fun to own and drive. If they increased in value it has no effect on me whatever. Jay Leno likes 510s?  Whoopie fuckin dooo he has hundreds or thousands of vehicles he 'loves' and can afford to love them. If you want to see skewed car values look no farther than a  Barrett Jackson reality show. The rich ripping off the rich using a car as an investment.

If nothing else, rarity drives up the price of any car every year.  A '51 chevy will be worth more next year because there will be fewer around.

Nostalgia is another. Baby boomers who are successful look back an remember their grandfather's old Buick and want one. Good times recaptured

Popularity is another. Real or perceived.

Only reason I can see for worrying about the rising prices is you are used to grabbing a $200 510 and driving the shit out of it and then throw it away and get another and another and another. If you really wanted and liked the 510 you would have one by now and if it was worth 6 times what you paid for it you really couldn't care less.

this is why you go to buy a care prepared go to nada guides and print out the value stated here is what a 70 510 is worth the orange one posted earlier is about 10k to high 

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1970/Nissan-Datsun/510/2-Door-Sedan/Values

Untitled_zps07dc2ca6.png

when you show up with a cold hard dose of reality like that it should help bring there asking price down 

I want a Datsun but there is no way I'm going to pay over $1000 for a rusted roller. No way I would pay $750...... That's just me. I know tons more people are willing to absorb a raping just to have the Datsun. Call it what you will or give it some form of reasoning, but a car is only as valuable as a customer is willing to fork over.

It's very much the same in the work industry. People are so willing to sell their skills short so they accept piss poor wages from having no confidence in them selves.

Be patient and don't rush a sale. A better bargain is always right around the corner.

Matt D.

• Like 1