WTF when did datsun prices sky rocket???

Chicken/egg really. Minimum wage in 1968 was 1.60, by today, that is worth almost 11 bucks (like 10.80 something). A basic thing like fuel in 68 was 34 cents on average. Today it's 3.68. Federal minimum wage is 7.25 and of course many states are higher, WA being the highest at 9.32. That is a fuel price increase of close 11 times what it was in 68. Compare it to the highest minimum wage in the country which has risen to 6 times what it was in 68. Federal minimum wage is not even 5 times as high. So in the case of fuel it has more than doubled what federal minimum wage was in comparing. Fuel is probably a bad example to use, but I bet that if a person did that to the price of the things we need (such as food) you would get uneven results in those as well. 

They just did it here in California,once the minimum wage goes up the first thing will be food followed by transportation costs,so i ask how the fuck did it go from people cant affording nice 510's to the federal minimum wage, don't buy it if you cant have it.Thats why none of us here are on the Skyline or Nissan GTR forums,WHY because we cant afford them.Fix your rusty datsun and have fun with them.Hell ask Obama maybe the goverement  will get it for you. I buy what I want But if I cant afford it I dont.CAse closed..

IBTL

• Like 1
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken/egg really. Minimum wage in 1968 was 1.60, by today, that is worth almost 11 bucks (like 10.80 something). A basic thing like fuel in 68 was 34 cents on average. Today it's 3.68. Federal minimum wage is 7.25 and of course many states are higher, WA being the highest at 9.32. That is a fuel price increase of close 11 times what it was in 68. Compare it to the highest minimum wage in the country which has risen to 6 times what it was in 68. Federal minimum wage is not even 5 times as high. So in the case of fuel it has more than doubled what federal minimum wage was in comparing. Fuel is probably a bad example to use, but I bet that if a person did that to the price of the things we need (such as food) you would get uneven results in those as well. 

Wait you got fuel prices of $3.68?

• Like 1

^^^^This. Everybody needs a scapegoat, and the more untouchable, the better.

As an experiment, my brother and his roommate decided to create a "bubble" in the market a few years ago. They had a particular car(make/model) that they wanted to inflate the market value of, so they started posting pictures of them online with ridiculously outlandish prices. At first, there was not much response, but gradually over time(a few weeks), they noticed the price of this once cheaply obtainable vehicle beginning to climb. Others began matching their prices, and people were still buying! It doesn't make sense, but it happens.

This is exactly what has happened in the Datsun scene. I saw it happening YEARS before the phrase "Leno Effect", which has now been adopted as the reason people can't pick up a 2dr 510 for peanuts, was been accepted as gospel.

Shovel the blame off on some celebrity that you'll never meet in person if it makes you feel better, but the true reasons these cars are becoming unobtainable for less than a paycheck can be found within the halls of this very forum.

A good point but most people here already have a Datsun and aren't selling or looking for one. If they are, they aren't in a hurry and some deal comes along or they build one up. No, not all but most I think. Members trade info for working on them. I don't blame J in the least, how is anything his fault? Unless he bought up 50 or 100 510s and drove the price up.

A few years ago everyone who has built a car wanted about 30% more than it will sell for. Asking price was seldom met and usually you got 2/3s. Basically the loss, was an enjoyment tax for your time spent working on it for free. You were lucky to get the cost of the car shell and parts for it. Datsun owners are cheap bastards and want to sell high and buy cheap. So in that respect not too much has changed today. Maybe those getting into Datsuns have more money to spend on them?? and the old guys can't compete. Maybe enjoy what you have and shrug at the prices asked. I don't get it... is everyone that's complaining looking to buy????

• Like 1

im just saying that people who are asking stupid amounts of money for there car need a reality check i saw a 810 for i think it was 13k the other day these cars simply arent worth what these people are asking for them and it drives me nuts when  some punk kid finds a car and buys it for nothing then tries to sell it for a fortune because he sees other cars listed for that price sorry there is only so much a person would be willing to pay if someone wanted to sell me a bre replica car right now the most i could possibly see forking over is 8k only because all the hard work is done people who are asking 3k for a fucking shell need a cold hard reality check

Funny you mentioned that specific 810 I actually made the buyer a good offer of $3500 which is more than I'm willing to pay for a 810 and being automatic but it was super clean and got denied instantly lol I wasn't surprised but told the seller good luck getting $10k more than what it's worth. A clean as 1978 810 wagon automatic last sold on eBay for $4500 it was slightly cleaner than my 810 it was as clean as that "13k 810". It ended yesterday with no bids no offers, I wanted to send the seller a message to rub it in but I'm not a dick so I'll just let it be with a sigh of "oh well" lol.

A good point but most people here already have a Datsun and aren't selling or looking for one.

I was more talking about a few years back; the prices are where they are now. It's not like getting bent over for a decent 510 is a recent development. I AM, however, beginning to see the trend spread to other models. A 521 going for $7k on ebay? The times, they are a changin'.

• Like 2

I was more talking about a few years back; the prices are where they are now. It's not like getting bent over for a decent 510 is a recent development. I AM, however, beginning to see the trend spread to other models. A 521 going for $7k on ebay? The times, they are a changin'.

Yea so the last one sold on EBAY for over 10000.00.yea baby.

I blame the SR20

What about the L24, L26. VG, VQ, RB, KA, CA, small block V8, LS1, 10B, 12B, 13B, F20, 2L Ecoboost and on and on, The fact is people have been stuffing different engines under the hood of their Datsuns for decades. I blame the dickless wanders who can't wipe their own ass, but think they can swap an SR with a budget of $2,500 and a set of inch standard sockets they got for Christmas. If it weren't for their failures though, we couldn't afford to do it right. I've built high compression side draft L20s and now I have an SR510 dragon slayer. Sorry to say, but I'd never be satisfied with an L again. 

• Like 1

just be patient my young samurai! I believe that is what are you willing to spend on a car! I seen some for like $1,000-$36,000!  I feel you I been wanting to get a 620 and they are expensive! but since am not looking for a 510 I see them cheap!! ah lol :w00t:

I sold a 51 Ford F1 with a Air Ride suspension IRS, a late model Modular V8, Jim Meyer IFS, No RUST for $3500.00 

I can find on the CL a 1937 Ford truck or 1947 for 2500$ running, yet a rolling 510 is more expensive or nil to be seen..... All Quality rides but prices on everything are all over spectrum. 

No point to make but thought I would make noise.