The L.e.n.o effect

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Guest 510kamikazifreak

So as we all have noticed the spike in 510 prices lately

Lets post the over priced ones here

I will start with this

pos

This was an absolute waste of time, the car is apart as it gets,it was "painted" 10 years ago,not great.... home grown job

The underside of everything has been sprayed with cheapo gravel gaurd shit,they painted over that

Makes for a hell of a flakey mess, the parts are here there and everywhere,upstairs of the house,in the chicken coop(the garage :rofl: )

I need another shower(just had one before I went there)Its one of those hoarder types of places,just disgusting gross, yuck eww..

Trying to find the parts was a horrible thing, I went in the house.

Walk in the back door,it wreaks of cat urin :o

Yeh one of those places

the510003_zps3e490442.jpg

the510002_zps737b78f8.jpg

the510001_zpse9797e3e.jpg

Oh and how much,

She came across like I want it out of here(take away)

I asked do you want me to get it out of here for you,

She says how much will you give me for it,I tell her I will give you scrap price for it,she is how much,I tell her.

She says oh,Well I was thinking in the thousands.. :huh:

Thousands I say,She said yeh minimum $2000.00 :huh:

I say,well its not for me,

Seeyah

Big waste of time

Leno induced

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical. The rich yuppie collectors are ruining classic car buying for those of us who truly enjoy the cars. I want a Chevelle SS so bad, but thanks to damned yuppies I will never own one.

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

Typical. The rich yuppie collectors are ruining classic car buying for those of us who truly enjoy the cars. I want a Chevelle SS so bad, but thanks to damned yuppies I will never own one.

So true.

I have been into 510's ever since I started to drive

There has always been over priced ones, but its getting crazy now...

there was a 510 wagon at the PIR swap meet today. dunno what year, kinda rusty, old ass paint, looked like it had been rear ended at low speed at some point, just all around not that clean...4k. my dad kinda looked at me, we both giggled, and moved along.

• Like 1

there was a 510 wagon at the PIR swap meet today. dunno what year, kinda rusty, old ass paint, looked like it had been rear ended at low speed at some point, just all around not that clean...4k. my dad kinda looked at me, we both giggled, and moved along.

That was me on the bike leaving when you walked up.

Try to find anything down here in San Diego.Ive been looking for a rolling shell and people want ridiculous money for a 510 thats one step away from the junkyard.Craigslist has had the same show quality 510 listed for months.$8,000 bucks and isnt worth $4,000.If the stuff im seeing gets the prices the sellers are asking my car is worth a small fortune.I liked that Leno thing with the blue car but it created quite a demand for Datsuns all of a sudden.All these recent want adds are kind of funny.

Try to find anything down here in San Diego.Ive been looking for a rolling shell and people want ridiculous money for a 510 thats one step away from the junkyard.Craigslist has had the same show quality 510 listed for months.$8,000 bucks and isnt worth $4,000.If the stuff im seeing gets the prices the sellers are asking my car is worth a small fortune.I liked that Leno thing with the blue car but it created quite a demand for Datsuns all of a sudden.All these recent want adds are kind of funny.

I wouldn't pay 3g's for that thing, granted the motor and interior are decent that car has been ruined with all that other crap.What baffles me about that car is that It's been up for months at that price., maybe if that price comes down A LOT someone might take on the task of trying to revive it. I wouldn't touch it.

• Like 1

So how is that the "l.e.n.o. effect? I doubt everyone with a 510 has seen the video and then be like oh just for that my car is worth twice as much.

I see your point though prices are getting really high it's why I haven't got a 510 as I always wanted one.

I wouldn't pay 3g's for that thing, granted the motor and interior are decent that car has been ruined with all that other crap.What baffles me about that car is that It's been up for months at that price., maybe if that price comes down A LOT someone might take on the task of trying to revive it. I wouldn't touch it.

You know which one im talking about.No bumpers,a grill made out of diamond lath and a naps-z engine i believe.

Id thought 510 were too much anyways. Nothing has changed

except the prices have double / tripled for the same shit :rofl:  Some guy was selling a rattle canned blue wagon on CL for 4 grand the other day :blink: :fu: :rofl:

• Like 2

First 510 goon I ever saw. I stalked the guy for months trying to make an offer. Finally meet the owner, and his first words are "you're not a race car guy are ya?"

I tell him no, but he was so worried that I may modify one of his precious lawn ornaments, that he never gave me a price on any of his dilapidated dattos, and has since informed the neighborhood watch to call the police if they see anyone looking at them.

There is a thread about it in 411s.

He had no preconceived notions of value, but has an unreasonable idea that he will one day, in the 30ish years he has left, restore the 15 or so cars he has left sitting for the last 40ish years.

Long story short. Some people have crazy ideas of what their rust buckets are worth. Always have; always will.

• Like 1

I don't think it's just Leno.  I think the reality is 510s and Datsuns in general are becoming rarer, and morons think they have gold.  Kind of like most people with no clue who have a car from the 50s think they're worth a lot more than they really are.  Realistically, most things that are "field cars" from 40+ years ago, should be given away to new homes as obviously they weren't cared for in the first place.

People are greedy, they always will be.  I traded a rolling shell (albeit rusty) for about the same condition broken 86 D21 for a chump truck.  I only asked $250 for the car as it was, and couldn't even get that.  That was basically scrapper price and I included a motor and trans with it.  It previously had a motor in it, but hadn't run for 10 years.  Rust in the a pillars, etc.  Standard stuff for an old 510.  It wasn't all that bad though.  I was just as happy to get a hardbody to play with, but I can imagine someone trying to sell it for 1000 on craigslist because it's old, it must be worth something!  Or no, it's worth something, but only when you figure every square inch will have to be gone over and replaced.

I got my 4 door for $350.  Running.  Bent rear control arm, broken windshield, rattle canned flat black.  I felt that was just about the right price.

I miss the days where you could find a 510 project sitting behind a house for 3-5 hundred bucks.  Near legacy salmon creek there is STILL a butterscotch 510 sitting under a tarp, my parents used to ask when i was a kid, willing to sell?  NOPE, for my grandchild....well stopped  a few years ago and its still for his grandchild. I wonder if that kid has even been freaking born yet.  I imagine its now a bucket of rust under that tarp, has never moved since then. Only reason he put the tarp on was for people to stop asking :(.   I feel bad with these cars that sit, and then the person passes away and they get sent to the jy or scrapper :(

the cars may be getting rarer, but it literally took about 3 days after the leno video came out for 510's to double in price.  yes there will always be idiots that think that things are worth more than they really are just because they're old, but you generally don't see 50 idiots in a week all trying to sell the same car for double what it was worth the week before.

the cars may be getting rarer, but it literally took about 3 days after the leno video came out for 510's to double in price.  yes there will always be idiots that think that things are worth more than they really are just because they're old, but you generally don't see 50 idiots in a week all trying to sell the same car for double what it was worth the week before.

Exactly. And look at how many new people showed up within days trying to buy 510s here.