WTF when did datsun prices sky rocket???

this is why you go to buy a care prepared go to nada guides and print out the value stated here is what a 70 510 is worth the orange one posted earlier is about 10k to high 

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1970/Nissan-Datsun/510/2-Door-Sedan/Values

Untitled_zps07dc2ca6.png

when you show up with a cold hard dose of reality like that it should help bring there asking price down 

Right, I would tell you to fuck yourself if you brought this to me if I had a car for sale. No offense.

If you got junk then yes junk prices, but if you got good stuff with money invested in it and time what should these guys do give it to you.Get Reel people.what about a bone stock 2 door 510,In mint condition 3000 maybe 4000, or lets talk about Coupes yes right hand drive,now what its worth more because they dont belong per say, maybe they should go for less because you drive on the wrong side of the car.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, high asking prices. But no one is paying it for a 210.

No they certainly aren't which is why I'm always surprised when I see someone putting a 210 up for sale at $14k. I just saw one listed for $10k and it was junk. If it's been made beautiful again then the price would make more sense (ok not really) but not the junk I'm seeing. As I said before, if it looks like it already went through the crusher you gotta be a little more reasonable (realistic) with the price tag you attach to it.

this is why you go to buy a care prepared go to nada guides and print out the value stated here is what a 70 510 is worth the orange one posted earlier is about 10k to high 

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1970/Nissan-Datsun/510/2-Door-Sedan/Values

Untitled_zps07dc2ca6.png

when you show up with a cold hard dose of reality like that it should help bring there asking price down

Sorry, NADA sucks for values. They list a wagon for more then a two door. Wagon high retail $9050.00

1970 Nissan/Datsun 510

4 Door Station

Base Price $2,265 $2,125 $5,225 $9,050

TOTAL PRICE: $2,265 $2,125 $5,225 $9,050

I recently (in January) switched insurance on my Pete Brock 2 Door 510. I wanted an agreed value policy for $15k. State Farm (my car and home owners company) came back saying they could only offer me a policy for $8400 (NADA high retail). I was not happy as this is not enough coverage in my opinion. I certainly could not replace it for that. I sent them a bunch of recent sales of 510s on eBay and Bring A Trailer and they finally agreed to the $15k value.

• Like 1

im just saying that people who are asking stupid amounts of money for there car need a reality check i saw a 810 for i think it was 13k the other day these cars simply arent worth what these people are asking for them and it drives me nuts when  some punk kid finds a car and buys it for nothing then tries to sell it for a fortune because he sees other cars listed for that price sorry there is only so much a person would be willing to pay if someone wanted to sell me a bre replica car right now the most i could possibly see forking over is 8k only because all the hard work is done people who are asking 3k for a fucking shell need a cold hard reality check 

Part of the problem is that there just are not as many cars out there. These Datsuns are all over 40 years old now. Most are rusty shells or abandoned stripped down projects with boxes of parts. They used to go for a couple hundred to $1000 but as the supply of cars have decreased and the demand has increased, prices were bound to follow. Also, the economy has gotten worse and the dollar has weakened, and the price of everything has gone up. The cost of parts and labor and supplies have gone up too.

5 years ago, the cost of gasoline in this country averaged $1.86 per gallon. Today, gas now cost an average of $3.69 which is just short of Double from 5 years ago. Besides gas prices, things like produce have doubled too. Corn, apples, green beans, broccoli, etc. coffee, sugar, cereal, bread, all of it. Just do a google search on food prices and you will be amazed.

So it goes in line with other price increases. It is not so much that a rusty shell that used to sell for $1000 or $1500 is now selling for $2000 or $3000 because the seller is out of line on their asking price, but that the buying power of the dollar had decreased and your paycheck has not increased enough to keep up.

I do agree that some sellers are asking way too much for junk but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay so they will either find someone willing to pay for it, or they will lower the price down until it is in line with what the buyer will pay.

They days of $200-$300 Datsuns is not completely over but it is much harder to find them in that price range. Sometimes, you can get lucky and find one where the seller has had it sitting a long time and has not kept up with current values and just sees a pile of junk in their yard. That's where you find a deal. But those deals are less and less available. Current scrap values are high so lots of cars gets scrapped too.

If you have a Datsun, be happy you got one when it was affordable to you. If you don't have one but are in the market, spread your search and be patient and save up your money. Have cash in hand and buy the most complete, solid car you can find. Don't buy a rusty heap and think you will fix it cheap. It will cost you more to fix it and you will likely end up with a car that is not as nice as if you wait and buy a cleaner one.

I am not 'in the market' for a Datsun really, but I think what has really happened here is what is excepted by the masses as 'cool'. Many years ago, if you had a Datsun, it really was a bit like a Toyota camry, it was just a car and nothing special to your average drone. If it was a little tired, it indicated that all you could afford was a 500 dollar catbox of econo car. These days, classic Japanese cars are considered cool by many more people, rather than just a small minority. A handful of really nice 510s sell for a previously unheard of amount, which starts a ripple effect. A guy see a nice one sell for 30k, figures his husk of a 510 must be worth at least 5k and tries to sell it. I really doubt that most of the high priced rust heaps ever sell for what they ask.

This is similar to old air-cooled vw stuff. I seriously have more than enough vw parts on the shelves of my shop to build at least 10 engines. I have so much, because you can't give the shit away. I see ad after ad of guys wanting 300 to 400 bucks for an engine case, yet...when I try to unload one for 50 bucks, I don't get a single call and neither do they, because I see the same ads for like a year. Oh, but god forbid they would drop the price any. Guys see something listed for a high price and think it is worth that much. It's only worth that much if it sold. Unfortunately, once something like this has started, it does not seem to end.

So. Kid gets out of school, goes to work making peanuts. By his early twenties, he's making 30k/year, working full time. Stays at it for 15 years, getting promoted along the way. Mid 30's he's making 65k/year. Keeps going toward retirement. Retires at 120k/year, after 40+ years.

Inflation canceled out all his financial progress, throughout his working years.

Ends up taking part time work after retirement, still living paycheck to paycheck.

The American dream.

• Like 1

Chicken/egg really. Minimum wage in 1968 was 1.60, by today, that is worth almost 11 bucks (like 10.80 something). A basic thing like fuel in 68 was 34 cents on average. Today it's 3.68. Federal minimum wage is 7.25 and of course many states are higher, WA being the highest at 9.32. That is a fuel price increase of close 11 times what it was in 68. Compare it to the highest minimum wage in the country which has risen to 6 times what it was in 68. Federal minimum wage is not even 5 times as high. So in the case of fuel it has more than doubled what federal minimum wage was in comparing. Fuel is probably a bad example to use, but I bet that if a person did that to the price of the things we need (such as food) you would get uneven results in those as well. 

• Like 1

It's a hard one to do really, because in 68, the Datsun would have been new and I think they were a little over 2000 bucks off the floor and in 68, there are really not many used cars of that nature to compare it to. But if a person wanted to do the brand new price of a datsun in 1968 vs federal min wage of 1.60 that would equal 1250 hours of work to pay for it if you did not include interest and such. Today, buying a used Datsun 510 and assuming you get one for the NADA price you would be working about 700 hours to pay for it. Of course, that is comparing a new car to one that is 46 years old. How much would a 1968 Datsun be worth today if they found one with only a couple miles on it and in original factory, non restored condition? Since that is a crazy comparison, the closest thing would be to look at a new Nissan I suppose. But I would not even know which one to compare it to, I don't think you really can. But, a 30,000 dollar new car will take like 4140 hours of work to pay off at minimum wage these days. So that would be over three times the work hours of 68 in that case for a new car.

But, if a person wanted to compare it to a 10 year old Nissan car that would be around 2000 bucks. So in that case the 510 would be way off base at 5050. Unless of course, there were other things involved in its price besides inflation of wage.

The new popularity and interest in the 510, and other early Datsuns is a painful reminder of "Be careful what you wish for". I've always been pissed off that the 510s race heritage and historical significance never gave it the recognition it deserved. I am sick of the American muscle car seen and the anti Jap ignorance they cling to like mommy's tit. If an american car had been as successful on the track as the 510 it would have been canonized and wrapped in the same BS mythology as the Camero and Mustang. I will admit, this chip on my shoulder is a large part of my obsession with the 510. It's the ultimate fuck you when I smoke yet another fat oaf "muscle" car in my little "Jap Crap" car.

Now these cars are getting more recognition it's not what I expected. It's insulting that kids buying them up, because they're "cool", have no idea of their heritage, who Peter Brock is, or that Datsun Nissan has more SCCA championships than any manufacturer. They just know it's cool for some reason and "Daddy Daddy, I want one". Sense 2008 ish there's been a bunch of article in car collector mags saying the era of Japanese collectable cars is here, and at the top of their list is the early Zs and the 510. Then the author usually slaughters the history of these cars. Suddenly the shunned Datsun is kiddy cool, or a sound investment, but the respect I was hoping for seems to have been supplanted by fashion and the all mighty $$$$$. Personally I'm not looking forward to some kid pulling next to me in his new iDX and giving me the thumbs up either. This is a dilution of the underdog image of my beloved Datsun.

• Like 2

VW beetle 1700 bucks. But okay mrsrp for vertra is 13k (12,800) that's a raise of almost 7 times the amount of the cheapest car, vs under 5 times the min fed wage. Taken in hours, that would be 1793 hours of work for a new car vs 1250 hours in 69. 543 hours difference. That is like a year and two months of extra work to get the new bottom of the line car. A year of work seems like a lot. Thing is though, at minimum wage, you would not even try to buy a new car if you had even one other bill besides it, you could not pull it off.

The new popularity and interest in the 510, and other early Datsuns is a painful reminder of "Be careful what you wish for". I've always been pissed off that the 510s race heritage and historical significance never gave it the recognition it deserved. I am sick of the American muscle car seen and the anti Jap ignorance they cling to like mommy's tit. If an american car had been as successful on the track as the 510 it would have been canonized and wrapped in the same BS mythology as the Camero and Mustang. I will admit, this chip on my shoulder is a large part of my obsession with the 510. It's the ultimate fuck you when I smoke yet another fat oaf "muscle" car in my little "Jap Crap" car.

Now these cars are getting more recognition it's not what I expected. It's insulting that kids buying them up, because they're "cool", have no idea of their heritage, who Peter Brock is, or that Datsun Nissan has more SCCA championships than any manufacturer. They just know it's cool for some reason and "Daddy Daddy, I want one". Sense 2008 ish there's been a bunch of article in car collector mags saying the era of Japanese collectable cars is here, and at the top of their list is the early Zs and the 510. Then the author usually slaughters the history of these cars. Suddenly the shunned Datsun is kiddy cool, or a sound investment, but the respect I was hoping for seems to have been supplanted by fashion and the all mighty $$$$$. Personally I'm not looking forward to some kid pulling next to me in his new iDX and giving me the thumbs up either. This is a dilution of the underdog image of my beloved Datsun.

When a guy in a muscle car gets dusted by something like a 510...it didn't happen to him. I swear to you, they can block it out like a bad childhood memory. I can't even count the number of guys I have just beaten so badly that it really would not be considered a race, driving something with a turbo vw engine. They first ask me what the hell the engine is, when I tell them it's an air cooled VW, they instantly go into the "it didn't really happen" mode.

• Like 1

Still with this?  

See the thread on the logical value of things as they become older, rarer and more sought after.

-72240z      (quote was messed up ... sworry..)

you guys are giving Leno too much credit.

The ball was already rolling long before that little internet feature.

--carter

^^^^This. Everybody needs a scapegoat, and the more untouchable, the better.

As an experiment, my brother and his roommate decided to create a "bubble" in the market a few years ago. They had a particular car(make/model) that they wanted to inflate the market value of, so they started posting pictures of them online with ridiculously outlandish prices. At first, there was not much response, but gradually over time(a few weeks), they noticed the price of this once cheaply obtainable vehicle beginning to climb. Others began matching their prices, and people were still buying! It doesn't make sense, but it happens.

This is exactly what has happened in the Datsun scene. I saw it happening YEARS before the phrase "Leno Effect", which has now been adopted as the reason people can't pick up a 2dr 510 for peanuts, was been accepted as gospel.

Shovel the blame off on some celebrity that you'll never meet in person if it makes you feel better, but the true reasons these cars are becoming unobtainable for less than a paycheck can be found within the halls of this very forum.

tumblr_ln3ttqyg6K1qbngm4.jpg  gif-2-thumbs-up.gif?w=312&h=176

Couldn't have said it better myself without being painfully redundant. Well done !

• Like 1