the reason I worry is because Comcast is running advertisements in favor of Net Neutrality.. If they are onboard something is fishy!

The ACLU, MoveOn.Org, Progressive Change, Rock the Vote, Greenpeace and the Center for Media Justice also support it. No libertarian or right of center groups in there that I saw.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/

• Like 2
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

P.s. if anyone here doesn't know. Ratsun doesn't have ads. We don't get this forum because of corporate support. It's 100% community supported. If you don't donate to the site, there are (to my knowledge) two guys paying the bill to keep this place going.

I talked to Jeff recently, and was blown away by how much it is to keep this place paid up and running.

• Like 1

Nancy Pelosi is on Fox News Sunday and she is making me want to put my foot through the T.V. 

Can't give a straight answer and just wants to spout the same old tired crap. And she just got called old. She is 77 and just called herself a Master Legislator. 

• Like 6

Something that should be getting more attention in our media.

Donald Trump rails against government checks and balances after defeat of Obamacare repeal in Senate

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tweet-obamacare-repeal-bill-senate-60-votes-majority-government-check-balance-us-a7865331.html

51 vs. 60, should a simple majority rule the senate? If you think it's good for your agenda now, just wait till the other side get's it. Is 60 the best way to insure a balance of power, or is it the best way to make sure nothing get's done? 

Short History

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Filibuster_Cloture.htm

Argument to keep

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2010/12/15/929239/-

Argument ot change

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/295859-senate-60-vote-rule-is-an-abuse-of-democracy

As individual Rep and Dem Americans how can we influence the senate to restore Regular Order to the Senate and work across the isle.

Liberal Rhetoric

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/26/539358654/what-is-the-regular-order-john-mccain-longs-to-return-to-on-health-care

Conservative Rhetoric

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/7/26/1684282/-Less-than-24-hours-after-demanding-return-to-regular-order-John-McCain-votes-against-doing-that

• Like 1

My rhetoric: politicians should consider their constituents.

If your jurisdiction voted 99% for you, go with your gut. The people you represent agree with you almost unanimously.

If you got 51% of the vote, you need to weigh each decision to best represent the ones that voted for you as much as the people who voted against you.

You can't leave 49% of the people that you swore to represent without a voice.

Trump's simple majority push seems to consider over half of the nation's population as enemies.

That's a formula for a civil war. I know a few people want that, but the vast majority wants to work together to (dare I say it?) make America great again.

Elected officials are avatars of their districts. Vote accordingly.

• Like 3

Trumpcheeto needs to use more carrots than sticks. He's not use to how things are done in Washington. They have the white house and they dominate both senate and house,what's going on? Negotiation is not about sticks, he needs to compromise or else nothing will get done and please stop tweeting, he needs to go out to the public and sell his idea. He is making too many enemies.

If the electors were choosing between apples and oranges this would be a no brainer. If 50.001% wanted apples then this is what everyone would get. But it's never that simple.

Beware 99% as you may feel you are obliged to, and can do whatever you like because every one is on your side. Get the best fit for your constituents, BUT if they wanted cars without seatbelts over over cars with, just to save $500, and you are sure it's not in their interest, don't agree. Don't think of yourself, think of the greater good, the long game. A politician must be willing to sacrifice himself for this. You may end up 99% hated but history will be kind to you for the 15,000 lives you saved every year.

The electors should have voted for you to support the greater good not just serve their interests. Sometimes these are the same thing. You should be willing to hand out the medicine and they should hold their noses and swallow it..... for the greater good.

Trumpcheeto needs to use more carrots than sticks. He's not use to how things are done in Washington. They have the white house and they dominate both senate and house,what's going on? Negotiation is not about sticks, he needs to compromise or else nothing will get done and please stop tweeting, he needs to go out to the public and sell his idea. He is making too many enemies.

nope.

Trump may end health subsidy for members of Congress

The other part of President Trump's tweet this morning that will get a lot of attention from members of Congress: he hinted he might overturn an Obama-era rule that allows members of Congress and their staffers to get subsidies for their health insurance, which they have to get through an Affordable Care Act health exchange. That's what he meant by "BAILOUTS for Members of Congress."

The back story: The ACA requires members of Congress and their staffs to get health coverage through its exchanges, but it was never clear on whether they should get subsidies to pay for most of their premiums, the way employers pay for most of their workers' health premiums. The Obama administration issued a rule that allowed them to get those subsidies — because if it hadn't, members of Congress worried that talented staffers would leave rather than pay the full cost of the premiums.

https://www.axios.com/trump-may-end-health-subsidy-for-members-of-congress-2467046677.html

See you in September: McCain's health, Paul's protest delay NDAA

WASHINGTON — The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act is likely stalled in the Senate until September.

Senate Armed Services Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., is leaving town to start cancer treatment on Monday, CNN was first to report. He plans to return to Washington at the conclusion of the August recess.

“In accordance with the guidance of his physicians, Senator McCain is returning to Arizona to undergo further treatment at Mayo Clinic,” his office said in a statement Friday. ”On Monday, July 31, he will begin a standard post-surgical regimen of targeted radiation and chemotherapy. During that time, Senator McCain will maintain a work schedule.

After returning to town Tuesday after announcing his cancer diagnosis, McCain had hoped to quickly take up and pass the bill while he was in town, but that plan was upended before dawn Friday on the Senate floor.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, on the heels of losing the GOP a pivotal healthcare vote — thanks to McCain’s defection — was poised to take up the National Defense Authorization Act. Then Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., objected.

Paul is blocking the bill to get an agreement that would allow votes on his amendments on a war authorization and on indefinite detention.

“Senator Rand Paul requested two bipartisan amendments, one on ending indefinite detention and one on AUMFs. He looks forward to working with leadership and the committee to get this done soon,” said Paul’s spokesman, Sergio Gor.

Without naming Paul, McCain ripped him in a statement on Friday morning.

“It is unfortunate that one senator chose to block consideration of a bill our nation needs right now, the National Defense Authorization Act,” McCain said.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2017/07/28/see-you-in-september-mccains-health-pauls-protest-delay-ndaa/

• Like 2

If the electors were choosing between apples and oranges this would be a no brainer. If 50.001% wanted apples then this is what everyone would get. But it's never that simple.

Beware 99% as you may feel you are obliged to, and can do whatever you like because every one is on your side. Get the best fit for your constituents, BUT if they wanted cars without seatbelts over over cars with, just to save $500, and you are sure it's not in their interest, don't agree. Don't think of yourself, think of the greater good, the long game. A politician must be willing to sacrifice himself for this. You may end up 99% hated but history will be kind to you for the 15,000 lives you saved every year.

The electors should have voted for you to support the greater good not just serve their interests. Sometimes these are the same thing. You should be willing to hand out the medicine and they should hold their noses and swallow it..... for the greater good.

I disagree begrudgingly. If the people want free cigarettes, and they voted for it, they should get it.

That's the idea of representative democracy. We vote for what we want. The winner has an obligation to do what his district wants. Right or wrong.

If it's a local congressman, he/she has a limited obligation to his/her jurisdiction. If that jurisdiction is the entire U.S. that person is obligated to represent them all.

I don't really care about your individual ideals. You're our Mascot. You wanted the job. Do it.

• Like 1

nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY7qOwaZEqw

Trump may end health subsidy for members of Congress

The other part of President Trump's tweet this morning that will get a lot of attention from members of Congress: he hinted he might overturn an Obama-era rule that allows members of Congress and their staffers to get subsidies for their health insurance, which they have to get through an Affordable Care Act health exchange. That's what he meant by "BAILOUTS for Members of Congress."

The back story: The ACA requires members of Congress and their staffs to get health coverage through its exchanges, but it was never clear on whether they should get subsidies to pay for most of their premiums, the way employers pay for most of their workers' health premiums. The Obama administration issued a rule that allowed them to get those subsidies — because if it hadn't, members of Congress worried that talented staffers would leave rather than pay the full cost of the premiums.

https://www.axios.com/trump-may-end-health-subsidy-for-members-of-congress-2467046677.html

See you in September: McCain's health, Paul's protest delay NDAA

WASHINGTON — The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act is likely stalled in the Senate until September.

Senate Armed Services Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., is leaving town to start cancer treatment on Monday, CNN was first to report. He plans to return to Washington at the conclusion of the August recess.

“In accordance with the guidance of his physicians, Senator McCain is returning to Arizona to undergo further treatment at Mayo Clinic,” his office said in a statement Friday. ”On Monday, July 31, he will begin a standard post-surgical regimen of targeted radiation and chemotherapy. During that time, Senator McCain will maintain a work schedule.

After returning to town Tuesday after announcing his cancer diagnosis, McCain had hoped to quickly take up and pass the bill while he was in town, but that plan was upended before dawn Friday on the Senate floor.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, on the heels of losing the GOP a pivotal healthcare vote — thanks to McCain’s defection — was poised to take up the National Defense Authorization Act. Then Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., objected.

Paul is blocking the bill to get an agreement that would allow votes on his amendments on a war authorization and on indefinite detention.

“Senator Rand Paul requested two bipartisan amendments, one on ending indefinite detention and one on AUMFs. He looks forward to working with leadership and the committee to get this done soon,” said Paul’s spokesman, Sergio Gor.

Without naming Paul, McCain ripped him in a statement on Friday morning.

“It is unfortunate that one senator chose to block consideration of a bill our nation needs right now, the National Defense Authorization Act,” McCain said.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2017/07/28/see-you-in-september-mccains-health-pauls-protest-delay-ndaa/

Prior

Edit: Lo siento, pero I got a phone call in the middle of replying.

Without re-reading what I was responding to, I will try my best to finish this thought.....

.. to the ACA, my wife has health insurance through her employer. My stepson had it through his father's stepdad. I had none.

Upon the implementation of the ACA, thier plans were cancelled by the providers.

Their only option was the ACA marketplace.

Because of my income, we got no subsidy.

Because I was uninsured, we paid the same fine as though none of my household was insured.

Last year, I changed companies and was able to get health insurance. 2017 would have been the first year since the ACA that I could've avoided being fined.

If Trump's latest ploy to disrupt the ACA market works (which by all accounts it will) my wife and son stand to lose their insurance again.

My company policy would cost much more than my mortgage if I were to add my family.

I think health insurance is a racket akin to mob protection money. However, what can I do to minimize the cost to my family short of drawing straws to see who deserves to live?

That's the thing. Congress have more options than the average citizen, specially if they served in the military. I guarantee you if they are offered the same thing what they tried to pass, they would have nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

I disagree begrudgingly. If the people want free cigarettes, and they voted for it, they should get it.

That's the idea of representative democracy. We vote for what we want. The winner has an obligation to do what his district wants. Right or wrong.

If it's a local congressman, he/she has a limited obligation to his/her jurisdiction. If that jurisdiction is the entire U.S. that person is obligated to represent them all.

I don't really care about your individual ideals. You're our Mascot. You wanted the job. Do it.

The United States is a "republic". And the idea is not for the elected representative to vote for shit their constituents want. The idea is for the representative to stand guard against the people's will if and when the people fail to see the impact/ramifications of their will. Masses make stupid choices (as was recently evidenced). Senators, Representatives, Justices, and the President have access to information the public does not. As well, the public doesn't have the best intentions of the country. And, people are stupid. The US is not a democracy.

• Like 1

The United States is a "republic". And the idea is not for the elected representative to vote for shit their constituents want. The idea is for the representative to stand guard against the people's will if and when the people fail to see the impact/ramifications of their will. Masses make stupid choices (as was recently evidenced). Senators, Representatives, Justices, and the President have access to information the public does not. As well, the public doesn't have the best intentions of the country. And, people are stupid. The US is not a democracy.

Woman - "Doctor Franklin, what kind of government have you given us?"  Reply "A republic if you can maintain it."

French observer on the new US republic, "Democracy will last until the people discover that they can vote themselves money."

• Like 3

The only true "Republic" is San Marino in the heart of the Italian peninsula.  They have kept their independence almost forever.  The residents elect 2 [to use an obsolete term term  consoles] for 6 month terms each and let them govern the republic.  The consoles are for the most part independents and do not seek reelection.  No, they are nt an international Corporate tax refuge.

• Like 2

French observer on the new US republic, "Democracy will last until the people discover that they can vote themselves money."

A.. n.. d...... there you have it. Self interest above the general good.

• Like 1

The only true "Republic" is San Marino in the heart of the Italian peninsula.  They have kept their independence almost forever.  The residents elect 2 [to use an obsolete term term  consoles] for 6 month terms each and let them govern the republic.  The consoles are for the most part independents and do not seek reelection.  No, they are nt an international Corporate tax refuge.

Do you mean Consuls? 

Cause the Ancient Roman Republic had two (a senior and junior Consul) for same term of office.

• Like 1

Canada: Break-in suspect shot, man in home charged

A man is charged with attempted murder and a raft of firearms offences after helping fend off home invaders, one of whom he’s now charged with shooting.

Kyle Earl Munroe was arrested on July 12 after RCMP and Halifax Regional Police responded to a report of a home invasion involving firearms at a home in Porters Lake.

Police said that three men entered the residence with guns and a struggle took place with two men inside.

The two in the home seized a firearm from one of the suspects and several shots were fired as the suspects fled. Police later located one of the suspects, who had non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.

Munroe faces charges of attempted murder, intent to discharge a firearm, intent to discharge a firearm when being reckless, careless use of a firearm, improper storage of a firearm, pointing a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing that possession is unauthorized, and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1487818-break-in-suspect-shot-man-in-home-charged