• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what we need,another tax.Move to California and then get back to us on how you feel about an extra tax on everything.Here's a couple of examples of being gouged,the mattress recycling fee added to your mattress purchase for recycling a mattress that goes in the trash.Buy a television,get a tax added to recycle the one you replaced.A gallon of paint gets a "recycle fee" added to the cost.How do you recycle a gallon of paint that you used up ? another question,what the hell is our government doing with all these extra fees ? my guess is wasting it on bullshit.

The landfill tax would only tax cheap crap. It would motivate people to buy domestic. It would show Walmart shoppers that paying more once, is cheaper than paying less ten times. It would reduce waste. It would be great for small business. It would be quite similar in overall affect to a tariff, but states would manage it instead of the Feds.

There is taxation because the government needs money. We are over taxed in stupid ways, and the government is too fat. I agree. But taxes will continue to exist, and we must add taxes in ways that benefit society as well as fund government so we can eliminate blanket taxes levied without regard. Add good taxes, dump shit taxes.

Btw. Mike, tires are recycled and repurposed these days. I don't know about the specific case you've referenced, but states average around 10% for how many tires go to the landfill now. That's a huge change in a relatively short time. I'd have structured the tax to motivate tire makers to develop tires that last longer, or are re-treatable. But I don't know a ton about that stuff.

We consume too much that's just plain and simple. Its good we recycle but I don't think its enough. Something drastic will happen before people get used to being conscious about the amount we eat, consume materials, we are just spoiled rotten. Sad to say, maybe a major war will turn the tide but maybe at that time America will not exist as we once knew it.

• Like 1

Totally normal reaction to stress. Sometimes it goes out the other way.

Btw. Mike, tires are recycled and repurposed these days. I don't know about the specific case you've referenced, but states average around 10% for how many tires go to the landfill now. That's a huge change in a relatively short time. I'd have structured the tax to motivate tire makers to develop tires that last longer, or are re-treatable. But I don't know a ton about that stuff.

Oh yeah this was 30 years ago in Ontario, I don't know what they do now. 20 years ago, 25,000,000 used tires per year in Canada... I imagine ther US is 10X that by population. I think there is a dirty little secret here. Some are 'recycled' by selling to third world where they are burned for fuel. Yeah we all know about rubber crumb mats but 25 mill tires worth??? Where are these tires ending up???

Totally normal reaction to stress. Sometimes it goes out the other way.

Oh yeah this was 30 years ago in Ontario, I don't know what they do now. 20 years ago, 25,000,000 used tires per year in Canada... I imagine ther US is 10X that by population. I think there is a dirty little secret here. Some are 'recycled' by selling to third world where they are burned for fuel. Yeah we all know about rubber crumb mats but 25 mill tires worth??? Where are these tires ending up???

Ground beef from the taste of it.

I noticed that at these rallys ( & the student "Walkouts") that a lot of them

are smiling.What's with that.

Of course,a lot of high school students were glad to get out of class.

• Like 1

The landfill tax would only tax cheap crap. It would motivate people to buy domestic. It would show Walmart shoppers that paying more once, is cheaper than paying less ten times. It would reduce waste. It would be great for small business. It would be quite similar in overall affect to a tariff, but states would manage it instead of the Feds.

There is taxation because the government needs money. We are over taxed in stupid ways, and the government is too fat. I agree. But taxes will continue to exist, and we must add taxes in ways that benefit society as well as fund government so we can eliminate blanket taxes levied without regard. Add good taxes, dump shit taxes.

I remember WW2 and the lack of new vehicles.  Our apartment building was heated by a coal furnace.   The coal was delivered by a chain driven rear end Mack dump truck.  It had wood spoke wheels and a solid rubber tread .  The ultimate in retreadable tires.  Also looked cool .  Who wouldn't like a solid chrome plated bull dog on the hood ?

sea-of-eyes.jpg

Wonder who is behind this mind control??

Thought it was common knowledge now that the people who set up and ran the woman's march with the pussy hats are the ones running all of this.

Have to admit they have organizational skills. The ability to keep this in the news,...and for events like this bus in people and get big names to show up like Paul McCartney.

At this rate,...With Trump giving away the mid terms and signing that spending bill (it will keep millions from showing up and voting),.....they just might get what they want.

We consume too much that's just plain and simple. Its good we recycle but I don't think its enough. Something drastic will happen before people get used to being conscious about the amount we eat, consume materials, we are just spoiled rotten. Sad to say, maybe a major war will turn the tide but maybe at that time America will not exist as we once knew it.

That comment applies to the globe.

Whilst many will say that the planet is putting along fine no need to alter any of our patterns/habits etc the earth can only offer us so much at a certain rate before we outpace that rate.

Recycling and smart/clever tech that allows for more measured use of resources is not a bad thing at all,it's just change which is what humans HATE or LOATHE.

Population and lifestyle is what is the difference to all of the previous era's of human existence. 

Being thrifty is something the pre-WW2 folks knew was a good thing but now post WW2 we as a planet have discarded for the most part that idea and gone on a massive binge.

It's not sustainable in the current model indefinitely as is population growth.

Course that subject about population is a prickly one cause now mass war death and even mass disease death is not really occurring to bring down the #'s.  

That's why I feel that im in the wrong era. In very thrifty, I do as much as can to recycle. I bring my lunch to work about 90% of the time, buy use clothes, hardly use my credit card. Try my best to live e in my means. I quit smoking in the last 3 mos.

• Like 2

The Illuminati

Yep...the all seeing eye

Yuup

That's why I feel that im in the wrong era. In very thrifty, I do as much as can to recycle. I bring my lunch to work about 90% of the time, buy use clothes, hardly use my credit card. Try my best to live e in my means. I quit smoking in the last 3 mos.

When I was a kid I recall my Grandmother (who lived through the Great Depression) saying that the phrase "Waste not want not" really was something that her generation took away with them even when the GD was over.

The scope of that financial collapse we have not seen since by a long shot so the extreme of it would leave a lasting impression I would think on most with some maybe loving the abundance and gorging themselves on everything,forgetting how bad it was.

However my generation saw the whole "planned obsolescence" and throw away society where a thing was cheaper to replace than to repair.

When I was a kid I recall my Grandmother (who lived through the Great Depression) saying that the phrase "Waste not want not" really was something that her generation took away with them even when the GD was over.

The scope of that financial collapse we have not seen since by a long shot so the extreme of it would leave a lasting impression I would think on most with some maybe loving the abundance and gorging themselves on everything,forgetting how bad it was.

However my generation saw the whole "planned obsolescence" and throw away society where a thing was cheaper to replace than to repair.

...ya, but we repair our Datsun. That's why I'm thinking that something drastic will have to happen, not that I want to...but that's how values change. People in general will not or see that they consume and waste too much, therefore, they typically will say why me, i don't need to cut back or save. After all this is Murica and yet the general populatipn can't apply how we recycle our Datsuns, keep them running w minimal skills, tools, cost and parts as compared to new cars. So if people can just treat their stuff like how we maintain our Datsuns and not throw things away, they will appreciate their stuff more and not go super consumption...
  • Like 1

The post WW2 generation has not had to five up anything.

The War Effort meant everything was rationed. 

Now for 70 years plus we've had the luxury of being able to on demand have what we want (relatively). 

Taking away what people are used to is not easy though recycling and other smart options do not mean not having things at all to such an extreme just giving more thought to what we need/want  and how we use it. 

• Like 1

/\...its all about conditioning, just like pavlovs dog, imagine if ppls video. Games. Cell phones, a.c., et c. Are taken away..withdrawals like a mother fucker...I saw this w my son when his cell phone broke and didn't have one for 2 days.

• Like 1

/\...its all about conditioning, just like pavlovs dog, imagine if ppls video. Games. Cell phones, a.c., et c. Are taken away..withdrawals like a mother fucker...I saw this w my son when his cell phone broke and didn't have one for 2 days.

2 days?! Was CPS called???

Everything you save simply supports more people. If you maximize your efficient use of resources you only allow more people to exist.  If your cars get twice the mileage, the gas saved will simply support having twice the number of cars. Everything is geared to producing and sustaining more people. Well fuck that! I'm not recycling just so there are more assholes walking around. Christ knows there is enough wasted skin out there. What we need is fewer people, a lot fewer.

I bike about 8 miles a day to work and back but not so so some undeserving douche has my gas, I actually enjoy it. 

• Like 1