• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

...please explain why this is not a big thing.

They have been stealing intellectual property and getting away with it, this is the administrations attempt to reign them in.

Let it play out for awhile they'll play nice( or nicer ) in the long run.

Right now they are a manufacturing juggernaut but there are many other countries salivating at the prospect of chipping away some of that business.

• Like 1

Please explain why we should let China continue to send their crap over here and put American businesses at risk of going out of business.

Damnit john, every time I think you don’t have an ounce of common sense, you post something extremely commonsensical.

...please explain why this is not a big thing.

I have before and I will again. It's a power play and we have the upper hand already from years of lopsided trade. In my opinion, it's the start of a serious negotiation.

I mean he ran on this during the campaign. He's doing exactly as he said he would do.

Americans are the cause. They flock to WallMart and Cosco and buy cheap ass shit and then complain. A hundred years ago if you bought lawn or patio furniture it lasted a lifetime, was intended to last a lifetime. How many sets of cheap plastic patio chairs and tables have you thrown away in the last 5 years? 2-3?  How many bar-b-q's?

• Like 1

Americans are the cause. They flock to WallMart and Cosco and buy cheap ass shit and then complain. A hundred years ago if you bought lawn or patio furniture it lasted a lifetime, was intended to last a lifetime. How many sets of cheap plastic patio chairs and tables have you thrown away in the last 5 years? 2-3? How many bar-b-q's?

Dead on!!! I've long touted the idea of a landfill tax. If a products life expectancy is in the lowest 10% of comparable product they get a huge tax. Something is below 50% of average, they get a small tax. Buy the product with a long ass life expectancy and you pay no tax. Consumers fuck themselves by saving a few bucks at the register not realizing it will affect their paycheck and possibly their job.

• Like 2

It frustrates me to no end trying to buy quality products that always fall short, and for what, a 50 cent savings on the bottom line?  I will gladly pay more for a good product.  I work in construction and deal with so much garbage it's ridiculous.  We have a door & window hardware supplier (from low to the highest end) with a small lumber yard attached.  With a storefront move planned, they've shuttered the lumber side and now we are paying more money for crappier products with the larger chain lumber yards.

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa-school-district-stocks-classrooms-with-rocks-to-combat-school-shooters/ar-BBKCqaz?OCID=ansmsnnews11

A Pennsylvania school district has armed its students with rocks to defend themselves in the event of a school shooting.

David Helsel, the superintendent of Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County, said at a state House Education Committee hearing on school safety this week that his district's classrooms are equipped with 5-gallon buckets of river rocks.

"If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance to any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks," he said. "And they will be stoned."

I just want to know one thing. What the hell are they drinking in Pa,.....'cause it is some strong ass liquid to think this is anywhere near a good idea.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa-school-district-stocks-classrooms-with-rocks-to-combat-school-shooters/ar-BBKCqaz?OCID=ansmsnnews11

A Pennsylvania school district has armed its students with rocks to defend themselves in the event of a school shooting.

David Helsel, the superintendent of Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County, said at a state House Education Committee hearing on school safety this week that his district's classrooms are equipped with 5-gallon buckets of river rocks.

"If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance to any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks," he said. "And they will be stoned."

I just want to know one thing. What the hell are they drinking in Pa,.....'cause it is some strong ass liquid to think this is anywhere near a good idea.

My instinct was to laugh. But... Think about it. Students won't have guns. So either they have nothing, or they make sure the single point of entry is a path of resistance.

• Like 1

Americans are the cause. They flock to WallMart and Cosco and buy cheap ass shit and then complain. A hundred years ago if you bought lawn or patio furniture it lasted a lifetime, was intended to last a lifetime. How many sets of cheap plastic patio chairs and tables have you thrown away in the last 5 years? 2-3?  How many bar-b-q's?

I appreciate that, but Walmart v Amazon.. I'm wondering about small businesses and local

Dead on!!! I've long touted the idea of a landfill tax. If a products life expectancy is in the lowest 10% of comparable product they get a huge tax. Something is below 50% of average, they get a small tax. Buy the product with a long ass life expectancy and you pay no tax. Consumers fuck themselves by saving a few bucks at the register not realizing it will affect their paycheck and possibly their job.

Just what we need,another tax.Move to California and then get back to us on how you feel about an extra tax on everything.Here's a couple of examples of being gouged,the mattress recycling fee added to your mattress purchase for recycling a mattress that goes in the trash.Buy a television,get a tax added to recycle the one you replaced.A gallon of paint gets a "recycle fee" added to the cost.How do you recycle a gallon of paint that you used up ? another question,what the hell is our government doing with all these extra fees ? my guess is wasting it on bullshit.

• Like 1

WE had one for tires. $5 per tire to find a way to get rid of them or recycle them. At the time there was no way, so it was expected that something would be 'invented' in the near future. One day the government wandered by and looked in that account and saw hundreds of millions sitting there making 2% interest so they 'borrowed' it to cover some other shortfall. I don't know it they ever continued to try to find a way to recycle tires or not. But that green coming in every year sure was handy. I moved away.

• Like 1

Yep..that could be but I think it will be okay, tons of bedroom communities along the way, opportunities for starbucks, malls and other consumer traps abound. We'll have to see if the promises are up to par with reality.