Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buddy of mine trades & flips quite a bit. He hauled in a cute little 1980 Sunbird 4 cylinder/4 speed hatch back a few days ago that had been parked in 1993. Had a hole in the block. I ain't about hunting up an iron duke core image.gif.01dfcc96c7aece3ca27390ef17bf071f.gif

As I went to leave he said, "Oh yeah.....come out to the back pasture. I got one that's just too nice to go to the scrapper - hell, it even runs!"

bronc1.jpg

bronciii.jpg

broncb.jpg

1986, 2.9 V6 (German engine that started as a Ford Taunus V4 in the 1960s per wiki), auto (meh), 156k original, super nice interior, perfect glass, no rust, has keys but no title BUT tags are expired enough that's not an issue......he wants $100 less than what he was asking for the tin indian with the aerated block!!!!

I've never messed with a 2.9. I think Rangers ran them too. Been awhile since I've even considered putting anything in my "maybe" pile but this one is giving me pause for the cause. Anyone ever owned one of these?

• Like 2

I briefly owned a 4 cylinder POS pinto and was SOOOOO unimpressed. Drove like a barge and was very under powered. My B-210 would have easily walked away from it in a race. A friend had the V6. I had to lift the hood and look because it was so fast. Well... in comparison

• Like 2

2.8 and 2.9 are different engines . The 2.9 was built to run the fuel injection system and not that much interchanges between the two. 
the older 2.8 is pretty gutless but reliable
    the fuel injection makes it drive a bit better than carb but not going to win a drag race against a Yugo . 

the automatic in those is usually the part that is bad .  Look up ads for broken/major cheap ones, it will usually be bad automagic..  I’ve only had 5speed Broncos ii or trucks though

FYI ,, even though they look very similar. you can’t make a 2.9 carbureted by switching distributor and manifold . They are to different 

Edited by bananahamuck
What’s with predictive text fucking up your sentences by changing words ??
  • Like 1
On 2/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, a.d._510_n_ok said:
Buddy of mine trades & flips quite a bit. He hauled in a cute little 1980 Sunbird 4 cylinder/4 speed hatch back a few days ago that had been parked in 1993. Had a hole in the block. I ain't about hunting up an iron duke core image.gif.01dfcc96c7aece3ca27390ef17bf071f.gif

As I went to leave he said, "Oh yeah.....come out to the back pasture. I got one that's just too nice to go to the scrapper - hell, it even runs!"

bronc1.jpg

bronciii.jpg

broncb.jpg

1986, 2.9 V6 (German engine that started as a Ford Taunus V4 in the 1960s per wiki), auto (meh), 156k original, super nice interior, perfect glass, no rust, has keys but no title BUT tags are expired enough that's not an issue......he wants $100 less than what he was asking for the tin indian with the aerated block!!!!

I've never messed with a 2.9. I think Rangers ran them too. Been awhile since I've even considered putting anything in my "maybe" pile but this one is giving me pause for the cause. Anyone ever owned one of these?

My brother had one as his first car. Probably owned it 6 years. It was 2 wheel drive with the hollow transfer case. Wierd they just slapped in a hollow case instead of lengthening the rear driveshaft. The car was nicknamed the " Bucking Bronco" due to short wheelbase and highway expansion joints. I had to wrench on it a few times for him and I was always disappointed in the quality of the parts. If you are used to Japanese rigs the castings and machinine finishing is soooo much better. Even the bolts holding stuff together seem cheap. That is a mini version ttb? Front suspension. Cheap enough have fun but build quality and finding parts will disappoint. I think the Wizard the Midget drove a red one with blacked out windows drove one that looked good. The "Wizard" was a short run crappy mid 80s TV show. Strange the crazy shit you remember. Minute 9.14. 

So, I recently picked up a fully functional Honda Insight for a song.  Not crazy about hybrids and the impact they have one the earth.  But thats another subject.  So, if I am going to be driving this fucker, I want max mpg.  I just got 53 smooth my last tank.  Math of the car vs a calculator is close, really would have to fill up gas jugs to exactly measure to be sure.

My big thing is I know I had to change my driving habits.  Lots of right lane riding.  This has made me observe what I think is a strange thing.  Ive always done 10 over.  Used the left lane to pass and cruise in the right.  If I came up on a slower car I would then pass.  People refuse to pass me.  There will be fucking no one in the left lane OR lanes.  They will come up on me and ride.  Its baffling to me.  I will end up with 20 cars behind me between exits on the interstate.  And there will be several miles between exits.  Yes, I am being a "dick" by doing 55 in the right lane.  Speed limit is 65.  Are people really that stupid and sheepish?

Im upping my tire pressures to 50 psi next tank.  My next goal is 55 mpg.

WOW! Was not expecting the plethora of early Ford V6 knowledge! Thank you guys! Wife is pretty interested in it for a project. Kinda hard for me to say "no" since I have three toys of my own. Dude wants $500 for. Scrap is almost that high, ain't it?

stopped at another buddy's salvage today. here are a few highlights.

salv7.jpg

1977-ish square body, 32k og, 6/auto, purchased new by a school that kept it until last fall. runs/drives like brand new! cannot be sold per the deal he made with the school. he can part it out though.

salv6.jpg

pile of mudstains that have been in this configuration since 1995 (that I know of).

salv4.jpg

old Buick and vette.

salv3.jpg

IDK but it's funky.

salv2.jpg

salv1.jpg

late 80s mudstain, auto, tags went out last year.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

WOW! Was not expecting the plethora of early Ford V6 knowledge! Thank you guys! Wife is pretty interested in it for a project. Kinda hard for me to say "no" since I have three toys of my own. Dude wants $500 for. Scrap is almost that high, ain't it?

stopped at another buddy's salvage today. here are a few highlights.

salv7.jpg

1977-ish square body, 32k og, 6/auto, purchased new by a school that kept it until last fall. runs/drives like brand new! cannot be sold per the deal he made with the school. he can part it out though.

Buy all the parts and put together.

• Like 2