Very rare 72 510

Hi everyone. My grandfather used to own a Datsun dealership. He passed a way a little while ago and left me his 1972 4 door, automatic transmission 510. This is an incredible car. He only drove it once a year to keep it running but other than that he didn't touch it. It has less than 70 miles on it, still has the factory plastic on the seats and door panels. It even has all the stock hub caps, original paper work and other accessories in the trunk. He did live by the water so there is some rust and the paint is faded a bit. With a little work a good paint job it could really be just like new though.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I'd almost feel bad driving the thing but I don't want it just to sit either. Then something unexpected happened. Some random guy saw it at the estate sale and he wants it badly. He is offering $20,000. Selling it never really crossed my mind and I've always wanted a classic Datsun to fix up. That being said, $20k is a lot of money and could make a major difference in my family's finances (medical bills etc.). I could even take part of the money and buy another Datsun and customize it exactly how I want it.

On the other hand, this is a very special car that my grandpa left to me. As you probably can tell I am very conflicted. Does anyone have any idea about the approximate value of a car like this? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only one of it's kind so how do you put a price on it?

On a side note, he also left my dad a 10th anniversary, gold & black Z. Very cool car. So we would still have at least one of the cars from his lot still in the family.

I will post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it on this sight.

Any opinions or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Open a photo bucket account, upload your oics to your comp., copy the direct link code, come here to this thread, click the little polaroid icon paste the direct link into the box and submit

As far as the cars value i think its worth moar with the org. Paint and if some guy is offering 20k, and you need the money than ask for moar, if he dosnt give you what you want keep it, drive it, love it... You going to get mixed feeling about this topic, but 70 org. Miles well i would say its worth 500$ a mile money wise but something like that is to some priceless... Welcome to ratsun

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. (right now it just an offer, and not paid ... yet)

Are you interested in Datsuns yourself? Could you drive it and perhaps learn to enjoy owning it? Or would you rather it go to a person who would treasure it more than you?

to the right person yes it would be worth that... but I'd still need to see pics, especially of what you call rust... the more miles you put on it, the less it's worth. send Les at ClassicDatsun.com or Ross at Sportsimports.ca an email ... they have some buyers with really deep insane pockets.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1340742918' post='708868']

Were these cars at the Datsun Heritage Museum?

No I don't think so. Fred's wife still has his black & gold Z

I doubt seriously that your grandfather kept this car new for 40 years with the intent of saddling you with a car that you couldn't use. Sounds like it was investment.

Either continue the tradition and keep it new til it's worth a price you like, or sell it now for what seems like a lot to me.

Do not restore it. You will devalue it.

Do not daily drive it. If that's what he intended, he'd have driven it a lot more.

If it were me, I'd sell it and use some of the money to buy one from my grandfathers old dealership. I'm sure there are some out there still in need of some TLC.

Sell, Sell, Sell! You will never build that one the way you want because of sentimental reasons and when you do get tired of it you won't be able to find anybody that wants it $20K bad at that time. Over and over I have watched guys turn down top dollar offers only to sell two years later for half the amount. $15k for the family needs and $5K for Datsun fun.

He only drove it once a year to keep it running but other than that he didn't touch it. It has less than 70 miles on it

He did live by the water so there is some rust and the paint is faded a bit. With a little work a good paint job it could really be just like new though.

Do not restore it. You will devalue it.

Money comes and goes, shit like this doesn't. Keep it.

Actually,, if there's rust it will go .... . :rofl:

Did he leave it to you, because he wanted you to cherish it like he did? Or just wanted to leave you something because everyone else got Ferrari's. If his intent was for you to treat it like he did, then keep it and enjoy it as is. If you really need the money and don't really care about the car, sell it and move on. If grandma is still in the picture, discuss it with her or your parents, and if possible, sell it to someone in the family just to keep the karma flowing.

No I don't think so. Fred's wife still has his black & gold Z

Oh ok, I saw that Black and Gold Z when I visited. Super clean car, I imagine the one your dad got was just as clean.

We are gonna need some pics of both cars though :P

Donate it to a Museum.Have the owners name on the car ,where he lived

and your grandfather will live on forever.

You, it wasnt reall yours in the first place and you had nothing before. So having nothing will be no real loss

Well said.

if you are keeping just for sentimental reasons, but really want a car you can thash on in the midnight hours, sell it and get a car you can thrash on. sell it for the $20k, keep $5k for a project vehicle and $15k for family expenses. or even split of $10k project car and $10k family expenses.

Another option is to build this car into what you know it can be, that way you keep it in the family and can pass it onto future generations.

In 1973, My grandpa bought a new ford f250. He took me to Disneyland in it that summer. I was 12. Later on, I worked for him, and that truck was my work truck. When my grandpa died, it went to mexico with my Aunt, and then ended up on her ranch in Cali, where it sat until it was dead.

I had it shipped up here and changed everything that moved or held fluid. It now lives with me. If I ever sell it, (not likely) it will be to a family member.

I dont think anyone can answer that question for you. If you have any sentimental attachment to it, you will more than likely regret selling it later on in life. Money isn't everything.

If you put a wing on the trunk lid and a fart can muffler on it, I will come to your house and punch you in the side of the head.

• Like 3