What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I was pulled over. Cracked windshield-strike one, He slowed down when he noticed it was an older truck, noticed the plate was obscured behind the bumper-strike two, Then noticed my brake lights on passenger side didn't work, strike three. Well they worked when I first picked it up. Then a motorcycle cop pulled in, I had him step on the brake, I didn't have any brake lights then.

The first officer handed me my info back with a verbal warning then told me I was lucky he pulled me over as the MC officer would have given me a ticket. :-D

Today I removed the radiator and took it in to get cleaned out and resoldered. It had been done before as there was a 3 row core in place of a stock 2 row core. Only half the rad was getting warm/hot and I reverse flow the rad with the garden hose and it came up to the top slowly. Granted it wasn't sealed with the hose, but it told me enough that it was clogged. Should get it back tomorrow. I did order a rad from O'Riely's, if it is of good quality I will probably keep it as a back up. Will check the brake lights and see what's up with those. Probably something simple.

Waiting on windshield gasket before I order the glass.

I put my truck on blocks this weekend, tore off all the drum brake parts. No turning back now!

The good news was; the previous owner claimed to have replaced the front wheel cylinders and new shoes before selling the truck. When I took off the drums I was pleased to find everything looked as it should, the seller was straight with me. That is always nice to find.

There was some "not so good news". Getting those rear backing plates off took a while, I used a sawzall to make two cuts per backing plate. Man the steel they used to make these trucks is awesome. Very tough stuff ... but what a pain in the arse to cut through.

The other "not so good news" was that my wheels don't clear the 300zx calipers <grumble, grumble, grumble>.

Lowered the front a little more and mounted my Titan Off Road wheels

febdaa4d.jpg

Stripped the interior and cleaned it up

c81e9e90.jpg

Installed some rubberized flooring "stuff", it's what we put in the Locomotive cabs at work. Shit's tough, it'll probably outlast the truck

a617df53.jpg

84da3e4e.jpg

Got some new retractable seat belts

48efd1af.jpg

Installed one of DatsunDaves stop/start systems as well as auto locks and an alarm system

0deba265.jpg

Added some BMW ellipsoids and some yellow fogs. Also got an HID kit from DDR

73cdd771.jpg

Now I admit I didn't do all this today, but I sort of forgot about this thread :thumbup:

Also have a Steroid airdam I'm slowly massaging into place

• Like 2

Got the rad and hoses installed, new thermostat, rad cap and filled with antifreeze. No leaks so far, not over heating. Took it for a 4 mile test drive and everything looked good.

I used this to fill the radiator,

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B001A4EAV0

Now if I remember to squeeze the top hose before I put the plug in, I will have a spill free fill.

BTW, this is great to get all the air out of the cooling system, no spilling, don't have to keep an eye on it to top it off. Great tool for a reasonable price.

Got the rad and hoses installed, new thermostat, rad cap and filled with antifreeze. No leaks so far, not over heating. Took it for a 4 mile test drive and everything looked good.

I used this to fill the radiator,

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B001A4EAV0

Now if I remember to squeeze the top hose before I put the plug in, I will have a spill free fill.

BTW, this is great to get all the air out of the cooling system, no spilling, don't have to keep an eye on it to top it off. Great tool for a reasonable price.

This is a must have for me. I love this tool.. It burps the system for you and.. no spills. Can't argue with that!

Blew the cluster/turn signal fuse. No turn signals + State Patrol not good, had to watch my six every lane change. Tried replacing while on the freeway, it just blew again.

Since that fuse only powers 3 things- the gauge-idiot light cluster, the turn signals, and the reverse lights I started tracing- looked by the meter to be in the harness that goes from the main chassis harness by the battery to the reverse light switch/oil light switch/starter solenoid. Disconnected it, fuse lived, but now I couldn't start the truck. So pulled the small stub harness. Wires were worn through where they attach (and henceforth rub) on the torsion bar. Cleaned it up, taped up the worn spots.

I'm not entirely sure that the harness wear alone caused this- it had been occasionally blowing the fuse if I put it in reverse, so it's possible the reverse light switch has gotten stuck "on". The wear looked way too advanced to have just happened today. So I left the reverse light switch disconnected until I get more time (and more light, it's too damn dark and cold to mess with that oily mess) to check the switch.

Noticed wasps coming out of the cowl vent. Filled it with water from the garden hose. Fuckem.

I got yellow jackets all over my Datsuns.

fuckers arn't afraid of ya. when i was weed whacking i took out a nest and a couple in mid air... lol

Also, I adjusted slave further today, and confirmed, clutch is slipping.

slave cylinder is leaking, and i have a oil leak ontop of oil pan... under timing cover...

Drove it around for a couple minutes. thought i would start driving it.. sadly not for another two weeks :(