What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

Fixed my flooding problem. I thought the return line from the carb had clogged up- truck had run fine for 18 months with the Weber with no flooding and ~30MPG, but around mid-August the mileage dropped into the mid-20s and I had fuel dripping out of the air cleaner. Float was still floating, but the fuel pump was forcing fuel in.

Around September I tried putting air to the return line to blow it out- NOTHING. 120PSI and all I did was make balloons out of the fuel return hose up front. Since the tank is not original (it's a 15+ gal aftermarket tank) the fuel lines are inaccessible. Tried a fuel pressure regulator, which erupted in Chelan in early October. Got a new regulator which made the engine starve for fuel on anything but "wide open" at which point it just started flooding again.

Irregardless of the weather, used this weekend to try and figure out where the clog was. Detached the hard lines and the connector block on the frame. ALL clear of clogs, but full of muddy brown fuel. Still clogged from that point back though.

Since I could kind of reach the tank connections through the rear wheelwell I decided to try and trace the lines. The supply line I deduced to be the larger line- it was. The vent lines had a "T" that went from the fuel tank to the vapor tank, up to the fill hose as well as up to the carbon canister. Popped that hose off and sent air down the hose from the carbon canister- yes, that line was both clear and correct.

None of these are the fuel return line though. There was one capped-off line coming up from the frame, I thought came from the bottom of the tank but no lines were there. The "cap" was a piece of 1/4" fuel line with a body screw held in with a hose clamp. NOT original. So on a whim I uncapped the line and ran air down the return line... yup, that's it.

The bugger was capped off the whole time. Whoever installed the aftermarket tank never hooked up the return line. There even was an extra corresponding capped line on the tank (that one was a factory dust cap though) . There's only maybe 2 1/2 - 3" of clearance from the bed to the tank top, but I was able to snake a fuel hose on there and clamp it on.

Ditched the regulator, and the truck runs perfect again. No more flooding, no more erratic idle. It's still a wonder why it worked for so long without flooding though. Must have weakened the float/float valve.

return fuel line with a weber?.............

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

return fuel line with a weber?.............

Yup

I've never had to use one, but my orange 510 had it, with a second fuel filter on it. Its a good idea to have one, really. There isn't one on my truck now, but i can smell gas every time i get out. And its running an electronic fuel pump. So ill be getting to it asap.

Yup

I've never had to use one, but my orange 510 had it, with a second fuel filter on it. Its a good idea to have one, really. There isn't one on my truck now, but i can smell gas every time i get out. And its running an electronic fuel pump. So ill be getting to it asap.

id be interested in how you would run it, as i also have a electric fuel pump and 32/36

I got quite a bit done today, I started by connecting the heater control lever, the defrost/room one, that's nice, I can quit using the squeege now:lol:, I then went to curlys lock and key and had them key the two door locks, went home and installed the door locks after pulling every door lock I had looking for mounting parts, keepers and such, and then I put sound deadener inside the doors, and made temporary door panels out of that plastic political sign material, but it is not any quieter:(. I put the front turn signal covers back on inside the fender wells so mud won't get in there. After I got done with that, I went in the back and spun the two 411 geared 720 third members, to see which one was the tightest, so I could make one up for ole' 320s L320 truck, it turned out that neither of them were 411s, one was 390 gears, and the other was 440/450 something, Grrrrr, they were both supposed to be 411s, so off to the wrecking yards to find a 411 pumpkin, which I found at the vancouver pick&pull for $125.00, Grrrrrr, that was to much, but didn't have a choice anymore, it was tight, so I bought it. On the way home I used the impact to take the steering wheel nut off to ajust the steering wheel so it was centered rather than being pointed at 1:30pm. I stopped at the auto parts store and bought some oil filters and fuel filters and some spray degreaser for the tach senser, I am going to change everything before the trip to LA saterday, I put a new set of tires on last week. After all that I took a shower, went and filled the truck up with diesel, and went to the store and spent another $50.00+ on food, it was an expensive day.

Fuel return line in many Datsuns does not actually connect to the carburetor. It Tees into the main fuel line just before the line connects to the carburetor. The purpose is to keep the fuel flowing in a loop to avoid hotspots (thus no fuel lock) and to keep fuel cooler overall (thus less evaporative emissions).

Fuel return line in many Datsuns does not actually connect to the carburetor. It Tees into the main fuel line just before the line connects to the carburetor. The purpose is to keep the fuel flowing in a loop to avoid hotspots (thus no fuel lock) and to keep fuel cooler overall (thus less evaporative emissions).

On my 84 4x4, that i bought not running and cheap, I had fuel problems when i started it. It would run at idle but soo as you tried to go down the road would die. I found that what ever restricts most of the fuel from going back the return was gone and i had next to no preasure. I capped off the return and have had no problem since. I am also running a old 32/something weber. One day i will look to see how the fuel line return was supose to be restricted. The one i bought the truck from said the one he got the truck from on a trade had rebuilt the motor. But to leave this part out you would wonder how well of a job he would do on a rebuild. All i know is i got a good 2.4 that leaks no oil or water for less than 500 in it.

I accomplished quite a bit today on my 521 kingcab diesel, I changed the oil and filter, tightened the alt. belt again???, then I moved to the interior, I put a complete 720 console in it, I decided I wanted a radio, so I put this pioneer I had in the console, not the dash, as I didn't want to cut the radio hole, as it is uncut with a radio delete plate, then I found some box speakers, connected everything up and it turned right on, but when I shut off the truck, I lost the radio station, I swapped the two wires I had backwards, and it is fine now. I then connected up the 720 volt meter, I ajusted the tach senser, now it works perfect to. The truck is now loaded up for the trip to LA, the one issue I see is that my rear leafs have about 2 to 3 inches of space between them and the frame. I hope it doesn't bottom out a lot, as the bump stops are gone, looks like a frame notch in the future. I also setup ole'320s 3rd member, it now has 320 side gears in a 411 gearset for his 65 datsun 320.

well the day before yesterday...

but who cares..

adjusted the lash on the valves... all outta whack again..

removed all the choke bulshit from the motorcraft.. wasnt hooked up, nor did it work..

douched the carb out, and cleaned the idle primary jet.. it had a low speed issue..

re-gapped the plugs. good ol ngk's kick ass!

runs good now... still a cold blooded as a mofo tho... i need a rebuild soon... or another motor..

well you gotta have it around to work on it, so thats a step forward!

Yep, I can't hardly wait for it to get here, I got it for free from my grandfather. HE WAS GONNA SEND IT TO THE SCRAPPER!!! :sick: :no: :sick: It's costing me a grand in title fees and shipping charges :crying: to get my "free" truck home, but at least it's one more saved and going back on the road. I can hardly wait to get going on it over the winter. :D :D :D

Backed the hood pin thingy out so I pops when you pull the lever. (before, I had to open the door and pull the lever and lift the hood at the same time XD)

Pulled the bumper and valance off so I can repair the dents in them and paint behind them. Only broke 3 bolts in the valance! Just gotta get three good bolts out of the parts truck.