Madness

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started the J15 in my 520 project today, as it turned out I grabed the wrong ground cable and connected it to the battery, but it was only grounded to the body, not the engine. So when I tried turning it over, it acted like a dead battery and smoked something around the carb, like an idiot, I grabed the throddle cable to see if it was warm, dahhh:hmm: , it burned my fingers, of course it got my thumb to.

DSCN0913.jpg

After I figured out what happened I connected the correct ground(to the engine), started it up, and warmed it till the thermostat opened, and then shut it down as I am unsure how much tranny fluid I lost during installation. I still can't beleave I grabbed that throddle cable, it stings a little. :unsure:

Lets see...cleaned the weber back out again, installed 2 new gr2 front shocks omg what a differnce, replace the striking pin on the 4 speed with a nut n bolt and took all that slop out, no more molester shifter, got the old shift knob off(dont think it was made for it, had a set pin in the side to hold it on)and adjusted the front brakes!!!

Was a productive day! And messed around with my wifes accord! Lots of small cuts on me hands but was fun all day long! Never got over 92! Yay

Thanks

Jeff

Oh man...its been a while!!

Pulled motor, removed header/intake, removed "Nissan OHC" valve cover, removed roasted ass clutch assembly, degreased and cleaned freegin EVERYTHING!!!, polished-painted-cleaned, had flywheel resurfaced, reassembled clutch/pressure plate, all new seals-o rings-gaskets on motor, (contemplated deleting coolant flow to intake...decided to leave it for the time being since Denver winter is coming RIGHT up!...

Wired garage for 220, borrowed friends welder, fixed broken passenger side shock mount/upper control arm mounting area (cracked almost completely off frame...found 521 in Junk yard and cut entire assembly off donor truck), welded cracked passenger side motor mount, (By the way... :rolleyes: anyone else ever notice how really crummy a lot of the welds are on a 521 frame? I havent actually welded in almost 6 years and I'm not saying I'm great at it...but after looking at what I was replacing I fely way better about it!)

painted frame area, created battery mount tray from Scout 80 glovebox door, installed junk yard find "new"....truly almost brand new... :D ...tie rod ends, relay rod and idler arm assembly

Its been apart a long time...I've been busy on the 69 Dodge as well... :huh:

Pics

alliPhone11163.jpg

iPhone63030.jpg

iPhone63028.jpg

Motor goes in today! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I replaced the engine in my 1980 datsun 720 kingcab/longbox diesel dually yesterday,:) at first I thought the injection pump was bad, the thing just wouldn't even hit, let alone try to start, so this morning I turned it over once and then decided to look under the valve cover, I rebuilt this engine over a year ago, but I guess I didn't ajust the valves when I put it together, fact is half of them didn't even move when I turned it over with the remote starter trigger, so I got all of the pushrods into the lifters, and ajusted them, reconnected the starter wire, got in the cab, cycled the glow plug warmer, and hit the starter, and it started right up,:D I guess I skipped a few steps on the preflight, but my ass isn't on the line, just my wallet.:unsure: It's looking good so far, at first it smoked real bad, but as I drove it up and down the road, giving it the gas and letting off it seems to have cleaned up pretty good. I guess it is good that I finally got around to doing this, as that engine has been sitting in the diningroom on an engine stand for over a year now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

did some body work on my bed since i sandblasted bed awhile ago GRIMACE has been in my garage waiting patiently so the other day i sprayed some primer on outside passenger side of bed so i could see the high/low spots in bed and took my body tools to bang out some of dings, the threw a light coat of mud on it to fix the hard to reach spots especially on the right rear corner of bed where it curves you can't use the spoon tool up inside of bed you have to either drill it and pull it and pray you get it done right the first time or it will be all wavy. now i gotta do some more sanding and go from there.

so this summer i bought this...

IMG_2702.jpg

to use as a parts for my 521... today i took it apart...

IMG_0486.jpg

Here's something you don't see everyday ... shortened 620 left, Nissan Patrol right

IMG_0489.jpg

check out the rust rePair panel!

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

• Like 1

worked on grimace yesterday and again today. got head tightened down/torqued, put timing chain back on, adjusted valves, bolted up intake manifold and exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe underneath truck, did some doorjamb prep and paint, bolted up radiator, fan, water pump pulley, replaced alternator bolts and adjusted, installed passenger door after paint cured/dried.

bolted up drivers side door, added another coat of paint to dash, installed dash, plugged in dash harness to engine bay harness, installed shifter on transmission, rigged up a extra muffler that i have lying around that i use to use on my vw bug (just temporary) until i get it to muffler shop to run new pipe to get it running and make sure that valves are adjusted right, timing set, carb set,, got some new steel lines for brake/clutch master cylinders in engine bay along firewall, need to bend them with correct tool, customized spare valve cover.