What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

Dropped the drive shaft and pulled the transmission. Started to remove 40+ years of grime from case.

Located a new fuel filler tube at local parts house.

Visited 2 parts houses to locate new fuel strainer for glass fuel bowl, no luck.

Cleaned alternator and starter housings (after verifiyng they are operable).

Painted 1st coat of paint on kick panels.

I organized my inventory of 720 parts... i have enough parts to build a NICE 720... searching craigslist for another one.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dropped in the freshly (finished assembly on friday) rebuilt L20b, hooked everything up.

IMG_0011.jpg

First break-in at high idle, 1,500 RPM, long enough to achieve operating temp, 'bout 10 minutes, ruffed in timing and idle screws, shut her down. Let her cool down while collecting tools, and cleaning up the mess I had made in the shop, gave her a good lookin' over, and topped off the fluids. Started her up, connected vacuum advance, commenced with "maiden voyage", varied engine speed and load, didn't go above 2,500 RPMs, no bogging allowed, 'bout a 10-15 minute drive, shut her down. Got out, gave her a once over, made spastic arm flail, and extreme victory happy face!

IMG_0054.jpg

Last time I drove her was November 2nd, way to friggin' long! Figure I spent about 60-80 hours rebuilding her, replaced the pistons, valve spring retainers, and all bushings, gaskets, bearings. Everything else checked out, crank, cam, rockers, guides, valves, springs, rods, journals, lots and lots of measuring. Only machine work needed was, valve job, honing the cylinders, fly cut .007 from head surface, and that wonderful procedure called installing the wrist pins(you have to machine a guide for the pin). You literally have less than like half a second to slide them suckers in there. As soon as the pin hits the rod it heats up.

IMG_0099.jpg

All in all, i'd do it again, I learned allot, and gained some patience when it comes to automotive work. By using old but good parts I also saved, all together the whole project cost me around 500 bucks, add on all the hours I spent doing that stuff that a machine would have done and the price goes up quick, but it was my time and it didn't cost me anything, way better than veggin' out in front of the TV.

• 1 month later...

Today I hooked up some missing vacuum lines and replaced some ugly ones. Hooked up the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner housing. Of course had to drive it after that and it ran smooth and started well after I had parked it.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1971 datsun 521 work truck received a new engine today, actually I started yesterday and finished today, I will see if my new W53 head I bought from Skib with stock sized valves and a RV cam will be able to keep up with the old W53 head with the super valves and a stock cam. I had the head rebuilt Skib, had harden seats put in also. Drove it to one of my customers houses and picked up over half a cord of wood on the first drive, the bottom end was not rebuilt, it was a low mile 1980 block I picked up a few years ago, but I didn't like the W58 head so it sat till I needed it. I am hoping it gets better oil mileage than the last engine, when I filled that one up with gas and oil, it was a crap shoot on which it would run out of first, gas or oil.:unsure: wayno

Finally pulled the tarp off from sitting for so long. I first took the old nikki off and cleaned it out and rebuilt it slowly. Then ran around checking the tires and checking all my lines. Charged up my battery and with a HUGE hesitation or horrible belch it started after a few years of sitting. I guess it happens after joining an serving a tour in the military all projects are put on the back burners.

DSC_0130.jpg

i can't believe a 521 can haul that heavy a load!

It has two extra leafs, a true one ton rearend and 100 lbs in each air bag on both sides. Funny thing about the truck is I added 24" to the frame, so when I load it up, the front sinks as much as the back because of the rear axle placement, so it doesn't look overloaded. The thing I actually worry about is the axle bearings, I abuse them regularly. I have actually wore out the shaft the spyder gears ride on, actually the carrier case that the shaft/spyder gears fit in. I have been wondering if the carrier casing(the part the ring gear bolts to) in the 86 720 rearend with the rear access plate can be used to repair my rearend, I pulled mine apart to see what the clanging was about, and put another rearend under the truck till I figure out how to fix it, good thing I had another good one ton rearend. wayno

Changed Engine, trans, and diff oils. Installed bed mat, 2" hitch ball, and license plate. Changed fuel filter and duct taped the hose between the air filter and intake. Greased all of the ball joints I could find. Lubed door hinges and latches with silicone. Posted pictures in the 720 section.

I finished putting my stereo in my 78 620 flat bed, now i got a touch screen and 10" flat sub and 300W four channel amp to play with and i replaced my factory speakers with hertz five and a quater seperates she sounds pretty sweet for a old Ratsun.

Post a pic of the sub/amp placement!!!! If it's a singlecab :o