What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drove the ol' 521....which we have named Carl (the old guy from the movie UP ) to Nebraska and back..5 hours each way. 100 degrees the whole darn way! :blink: <_<

So I attached my swamp cooler and filled er up with cold water...it helped a ton!

iPhoneNAWLINS187.jpg

iPhoneNAWLINS190.jpg

Prior to the trip I rotated the tires, "adjusted"...???... :rolleyes: the brakes (arrrg)

Greased the front end and the driveshaft

Checked air pressures...hahaha...found out that I had 10 in one, 18 in another and 20 in the other 2 :blink:

denver your truck makes me jealous...how did your lawn mower like NE...never been there myself... oh yeah tody i started the datto ... moved it out from in front of my garage and got soemthing with air conditioning out to drive...cat waittill it cools off enough to drive the datto again.. i did take it to the dump and returned onthe highway much slower this time...so no carb issues..

where did you get that swamp cooler ... is it a generic you made work on your datsun....

Hey Jrock...yeah...the mower was being delivered to Nebraska, so I took it for a field trip:)

The Swamp Cooler was an Ebay purchase...one of those score!!! moments that everyone wishes they got. I paid 79 dollars for it :rolleyes:

They are all "generic" since they were designed to fit all vehicles. This one just happens to be a "small" cooler...meaning it was designed for smaller cars...pretty rare, most of them that I have seen and the other one I used to own were "medium" or "large" versions...

They are usually 200 bucks or more if you can find one. :blink:

Thanks for your kind words..."Carl" is also a work horse. Plenty gets hauled in it all the time. I love the fact that it is just about the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned...I've had over 50 cars...

Carl kicks az!

California and back= 3000 miles

Nebraska and back= 600 miles

Daily= 30 miles

Guest Rick-rat

With the help of DatDoug got my head back on and valves adjusted and put the cam gear in the right spot, truck runs really good now and starts right up and no overheating issues, finally got to go for a spin on it after it's been sitting all week waiting for parts, machine shop and time to put it together.

Thanks Doug

well i relocated my license plate, as per request of Idaho States finest. as some may have seen on my other thread, i got a little creative on the stock plate mount... lol

2010-08-01194648.jpg

i also had to do a quick fix on my aircleaner. the stud broke and the lid wont stay on without some handy dandy neon zipties! lol check this out!!

2010-08-01194855.jpg

i polished up my wheels too... they look alot better now

oh yeah, can apples get tetanus?

2010-06-08210306-1.jpg

lol thats about it for now..

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the front disc brake conversion on the 77 KC, and wow, sooo niiice. Bummer is that it'll hafta sit for a while cuz I'm having too much fun driving the 521, and I can't afford to insure both.. :angry:

Was gonna take lotsa pics, but it's been done, and what shoulda been a 2-3 hour job got stretched into 2 evenings because of a slightly wonky bracket and much grinding, filing, cursing and :blink:.

found a Matchbox at pick n pull in the only datsun with an engine and put it on right away OH FUCK YEAH what a huge difference I can reach 80 mph with ease now and my timing is rocksteady (I had a strippred breaker plate on my dual point dizzy). now I just gotta fix this horrible shudder at 55 mph :hairy:

Guest DatsuNoob

finished some prep, layed down my POR on both fenders inside and out, tailgate inside and out. did some filler too. WIll put together my tailgate and inside skin tomorrow. Hoping to have some tie coat primer shot real soon.

went to the JY and discovered to my astonishment...:)

Datsun88.jpg

Datsun89.jpg

Got the steel dash (freegin perfect!) :D and the defrost tubes that bolt to the dash that were almost perfect and a nice set of bumperettes!

plus...the wasps that had 3 nests on the truck didn't even sting me :P

Bummer about the little truck though...looked very straight, dehooked bed, complete 1300 motor and trans, lowered....dang it! :(

put a new alternator and voltage regulator on it. finally running off the alternator again...

i adjusted the toe on it a little too. it doesnt dart around on the road anymore. helped alot with my mileage too. i barely had gas in the tank and did all kinds of running around today on it.

i also got a stock shifter knob..

all this stuff being done makes it feel like a new truck again.. lol its fun to drive it again