What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks wayno! for that Pic just gave me an Idea for doing mine now been holding it off for about 4-5 months now. Looks Good!

I made a slit in the bottom of the rubber piece to get it around the column as I didn't want to remove all the column hardware to slide the rubber piece over it, any air leaking by that small gap I am not going to worry about, this is what I did on the 520, I put the gasket and metal ring on the firewall before I put the column into position.

DSCN0207.jpg

* Fixed the headlights. They were not working since the engine swap, and I found a ground wire that was not connected. There's a bunch of unknown wires under the hood...

* Replaced a missing headlamp spring. My fender doesn't have a hook for it, so I made a clip but it keeps falling off, then the headlight points up into the sky...

* rotated the turn signal switch for Left-hand use, and fitted a LHD steering column cover

* Fitted a missing air cleaner stay. It was off about 1/16" from fitting for some reason, so I used a round file to oblong the hole. Hopefully this will stop the air cleaner coming loose from vibrations.

* Inspected my A14 head more closely. I found a loose valve stem Seal on cylinder #1, and a torn valve stem Seal on cylinder #4.

I worked on the 1969 datsun KC diesel truck today, I installed a fast idle cable/lever for warming it up so I don't have to sit there with my foot on the pedal.DSCN0781.jpgDSCN0786.jpg

I piped the fuel filler to the tank instead of filling the tank inside the fender well.DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0804.jpgDSCN0799-1.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

I installed a radiator over flow reservior, because it needed one.DSCN0793.jpg

I installed a new engine thermostat because the engine has been running a little warm, I am having a radiator re-cored because of the same issue, it is running warmer than I like on the freeway.

Got it ready for Blue Lake:

* Tachometer connections tightened, now it's working again

* Radiator fan shroud put back on (after the engine swap)

* Spare tire replaced with one that holds air :o

* Checked the air in the other tires

* Spare accelerator cable located in garage and transferred to glove box

* adjusted the heater linkage so it closes all the way. Not that it's going to be hot in Portland...

* Test drove it. Yep, it will do 70 mph.

I'm ready for Blue Lake.

Drove it home for Oregon today. I put 1000 km on my Datsun this weekend.

The little A12 engine may not have much HP but sure has a nice torque curve. I got 32mpg even with the 4.11 differential gears. And it did 70 mph no problem.

Those beautiful welds on the headers? One cracked while going up a mountain pass and now it sounds like the engine is busted... but still runs good. I had my foot to the floor for 5 minutes to keep it at 55 mph going up over the Coast range. It figures the one non-stock engine part (the exhaust header) would have a problem. I think I'll fit the factory cast-iron header back on so I have a reliable Datsun again.

I abused the truck again, it was 180+ miles each way to a place called Grandview wa. to pick up 2 tons of chemical treatment for roofs, I put a ton on the truck, and a ton in the trailer. You can only move 2 tons plus the trailer up a hill so fast, I was in second only once, and I could smell the brakes going down the hill from goldendale to the columbia river with a trucker right on my ass, while I was trying to take photos of the wind generators. unsure.gif

DSCN0875.jpg
DSCN0874.jpg
DSCN0873.jpg
DSCN0876.jpg

I know, oics. or it didn't happen, if all of us had one of these, we might not need..............
DSCN0867.JPG

DSCN0869.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG

• Like 1

wow wayno that 521 is quite a work truck. mine is only rated for 500kg (1000 lbs).

Wanted my truck lower, so took off the big 14" inchers and went to put my lowering tires on

23768.jpg

But it wouldn't seat all the way against the hub ...

23767.jpg

It has newer disc brakes ...

23769.jpg

The SSR Mk IIs fit

23770.jpg

the center hole is larger on the Mk IIs

23771.jpg

So back on with the Big Wheels

23766.jpg

wow wayno that 521 is quite a work truck. mine is only rated for 500kg (1000 lbs).

Wanted my truck lower, so took off the big 14" inchers and went to put my lowering tires on

23768.jpg

But it wouldn't seat all the way against the hub ...

23767.jpg

It has newer disc brakes ...

23769.jpg

The SSR Mk IIs fit

23770.jpg

the center hole is larger on the Mk IIs

23771.jpg

So back on with the Big Wheels

23766.jpg

Your pickup/ute looks good just the way it is. If I put a quarter of the weight on my NL that was on the truck alone, it would trash the NL. I seen that other ute(light blue) with the stock bed trim, yours looks better, I mean WAY better.

Jon521, Nice. We don't get enough sun in Seattle to need tinted windows :cool:

thanks! we dont get a whole lot of sun here either, but i felt like i was driving a fish bowl without tinted windows :blink: , i like the look, and keeps people from peekin in too haha