What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been working on the truck lately.....interior is still getting re done, so I have been talking care of some of the biggest issues with the truck. In this installment, you will see my electric fan upgrade. I cut the clutch off of my water pump, and determined that a dodge dakota/durango (01 and up) electric helper fan was the right thickness, as their isn't much room to work with ....around 3 inches anyways. Also the only rust through that I had on the whole truck was on the front fenders.....I found a new pair, mounted them on the truck and have been knocking out the bodywork. Plan is to have them primed tomorrow night, block, prime again, block and wetsand and squirt them sometime over the holiday weekend.......I have many more things going on, but no oics yet.....wait till you see my 7$ carpet installed!

2011-06-28_15-15-15_406.jpg

2011-06-28_15-15-22_977.jpg

2011-06-28_15-15-40_91.jpg

Killed my battery by leaving the headlights on all day. For some reason, after the jump my fusible link decided to un-link. Battery died again and for the first time in a long time I was on the side of the road broken. :angry:

Called the boy, luckily he was in Everott, so it was a quick trip to me. Swapped batteries with the Terra, shoved some heaver gauge wire in the fusible link plugs and made it home.

Trucks going in the garage tomorrow and won't be coming out til Tuesday for a few more repairs and upgrades :cool:

wildmaninid....build thread man c'mon :D

2eDeYe' date='29 June 2011 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1309394910' post='503322']

Killed my battery by leaving the headlights on all day. For some reason, after the jump my fusible link decided to un-link. Battery died again and for the first time in a long time I was on the side of the road broken. :angry:

Called the boy, luckily he was in Everott, so it was a quick trip to me. Swapped batteries with the Terra, shoved some heaver gauge wire in the fusible link plugs and made it home.

Trucks going in the garage tomorrow and won't be coming out til Tuesday for a few more repairs and upgrades :cool:

wildmaninid....build thread man c'mon :D

Yea i should migrate all this shit to one thread.........i guess i have a prelim thread over in the 620 section ...........yea i need tons more oics too...........

Brakes. Again.

Noticed a large puddle under the passenger side front tire, and the tire was soaked. Wheel cyl had dumped the entire contents of the master cyl reservoir on the driveway.

Pulled the drum (at this rate they'll never get stuck) and the brake shoes had disintegrated for an inch or so on each end. Drum was full of mushy ex brake shoe.

So, went to my parts stash, grabbed a 13/16ths wheel cyl. Got all the way to putting the install bolt in... wrong thread size.

Bugger is STANDARD. The truck, of course, is metric, being a '76 620. I check the set I have for the '74 (3/4") and sure enough the threads are metric.

Well, crap. I guess it's good that I actually HAVE a set of SAE front wheel cyls, but I was positive that the 320 and 520s used 3/4" wheel cyls. These are clearly marked 13/16ths.

Well, now I'm up a creek. I thought I had more spare wheel cyls but I have like 5 sets of REAR cyls, a pair of 3/4s that I don't want to use on a '76, and a set of SAE ones that won't fit.

Dig through boxes. I gotta have more. Realize I'm on my last set of front shoes, too. I now remember where my brake parts went- the parts truck I got rid of last year had all new brake parts on it. Crap.

In checking every box of rear cyls to be sure, I find a unboxed but new wheel cyl. No size marked on it, but it's metric. Well, it'll have to do.

Replaced driver's side shoes (which were hardly worn, I never wear out brakes as much as have them fall apart. These shoes were on the truck when I got it, 40,000 miles ago, and weren't new then) as well, and then spent over an hour bleeding and adjusting. They'd feel right, but go for a road test and have no front brakes. Turned out the pass. side shoes FELT adjusted but then I turned the adjuster 20 clicks and it didn't lock up- finally adjusted to full lock, backed off till it turned, and now they work again.

cleaned and organized the truck box

vacuumed the interior

Fixed rattling windows

test fitted the new center console

and just for a teaser: :P :cool:

a44cb9ec.jpg

93f6e3c8.jpg

92de9e93.jpg

Damn, that looks like the place i picked up my wagon from.