What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

Started her up for a stroll around the yard, cloud of smoke over my neighborhood. Cleared up after a couple minutes and ran great. Valve guide seals?

Sounds like the guides to me.

Today, and threw last week, i've been rewiring my truck. Iv'e gone threw the cab, and engine harness so far, incorporating all the accessory wiring into the new loom, and unpinned and removed all unneeded wires. Set-up two relays for the headlights, which solved their glitchy, and overheating habits. One relay for lows, ones for highs.

Heres a link to Beebani's post, which ended my search threw the forums for a cure to my headlight dilemma.

BEEBANI'S 620 Headlight Relay Rewiring

The truck starts up on it own more often, and idles smoother. The headlight are brighter, and I can finally run with the old school Victory brand H4 headlight housings I picked up from the junkyard awhile back, without totally frying the (already overdrawn) headlight circuit. The truck looks a lot cleaner without the cluster fucked, rats nest of a wiring harness it had before.

Here is a pic from a few nights ago.

IMG_0052-a.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like the guides to me.

Today, and threw last week, i've been rewiring my truck. Iv'e gone threw the cab, and engine harness so far, incorporating all the accessory wiring into the new loom, and unpinned and removed all unneeded wires. Set-up two relays for the headlights, which solved their glitchy, and overheating habits. One relay for lows, ones for highs.

Heres a link to Beebani's post, which ended my search threw the forums for a cure to my headlight dilemma.

BEEBANI'S 620 Headlight Relay Rewiring

The truck starts up on it own more often, and idles smoother. The headlight are brighter, and I can finally run with the old school Victory brand H4 headlight housings I picked up from the junkyard awhile back, without totally frying the (already overdrawn) headlight circuit. The truck looks a lot cleaner without the cluster fucked, rats nest of a wiring harness it had before.

Here is a pic from a few nights ago.

IMG_0052-a.jpg

That's a project I could do as soon as I have the money. I'd like to redo all of the wiring with new plugs and original wire colors. Be a good time to do a tuck also.

And what did I do to my truck today?

Stared at it. Took a brush to a couple rust spots. I could hear it asking me to drive it. If only it understood that I lost my job and can't afford to put it on the road. Can't even afford the sandpaper to finish body work sleep.gif

Tomorrows project is to finish pulling parts from the parts truck so I can fill it with scrap and use the money to insure the kc :D

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a door seal and window felt on the drivers door on the NL320, half the bolts broke getting the window frame out of the door, but all but one I was able to get them out without drilling, and even the one I drilled, I was able to save the threads, so it was a good day. I need to figure out how all the water is getting in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out the reason my freshly rebuilt SD22 engine had no power, it was the pre-filter was full and the inside of it was collapsing, was just shy of getting sucked into the fuel line, I was wondering why it sounded like it had a bigass cam in it, but was more guttless than usual, it usually would die when it got like that, but not this time, keeps it interesting.

Changed sparkplugs in the snow on my DD.

No wonder I was getting poor mileage. 55,000 miles (plus whatever the prior owner had) on POS Autolite 63s. I guess I recall I didn't change them 2 years ago because they still looked OK and I was still thinking the engine was going to get changed right away. Nice new set of NGK BPR6ES plugs. Runs much better... starts a hell of a lot easier.

Then I tackled all the burned-out lights in the '74. Neither were actually burned out, but I broke one removing it (and had to use screwdrivers and pliers to get the remains out of the rusty socket) and the other simply wasn't making contact anymore- but a new bulb worked. Also done in the snow.

Didn't actually get much snow yesterday, not enough to stick around but I aired up my studded snows just in case. It's snowing now. If it keeps up it's gonna be a Work From Home Tuesday.

Here are some pics from today:

I cut up the 521 bed on the donor truck(all rusty on the bed bottom)

20120122_145632.jpg

Mocking up the passenger side:

20120122_140245.jpg

20120122_140230.jpg

Driver's side:

20120122_150957.jpg

20120122_145501.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to lengthen the stock wheel well openings... Still want to look somewhat original but I'm putting together a plan on how to go about opening them up and keep the look.

20120122_151012.jpg