What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

Well, yesterday I filled the bed with trash and drove it to the dump. When I got back home I decided to wash the pollen off and give it a good outer cleaning. By now you can't tell I cleaned it though, other than shiny tires and wheels ...pollen is terrible this year!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Replaced a clogged heater core and water cock. Still need to hook up all the hoses. I also took out the heater controls and with aa couple of replacements used the best wire cables to make one good one. Cleaned, greased and reassembled. 

Tomorrow I will put it all back in and have heat.

I had the radiator rodded out last year, it was 3/4 blocked. I knew the heater core was the same way, that and a lot of leaves got inside blocking air flow. Mostly it was the inside of the core that was blocked. Not a good flow at the kitchen sink. I ran the "new" heater core through the dishwasher to get most of the outside crud off of it, not that there was that much.

620heatercontrol_zpsde476e31.jpg

Got rid of the old non functioning  Sears and Roebuck, (talk about OLD!) cassette player today and made a delete panel out of some galvanized steel left over from a roof repair on my house. (it was rusted metal with peeling chrome, I got bored and painted it one day)

IMG_20130419_133313_zpseabe22b4.jpg?t=13

Why in the hell the previous owner hacked up the dash like this I will never know! The damn radio didn't sit well there either. No mounting brackets or anything, it was always falling out! Besides the fact there are TWO PLACES in the console where a radio is SUPPOSED to go! I tried to sand and trim the hole, but didn't make much difference...

IMG_20130419_133340_zpse0b56626.jpg?t=13

Plate in, didn't like the rough, unfinished metal.

IMG_20130419_134224_zps8cf3efe4.jpg?t=13

Took plate out and painted flat black. Looks much better IMO. Also cleaned up the dash, had a thick dusting of pollen. And applied some armor all.

Eventually I am going to install a more modern audio system with CD and an aux input for my iPod, I can modify this to use as a mounting plate for it.

IMG_20130422_115414_zps3122a029.jpg?t=13

Also I drove it about 100 miles today. ON EARTH DAY NO LESS! Damn the treehuggers! LOL! :devil:

Well, it was running like crap this morning, so checked it out and found out one of the garbage Xact plug wires the previous owner had used had come apart from the boot. Another was loose. Damn cheap auto parts! Checked the plugs, they are OK, but look old and burnt. May as well replace them too. Go to Advance Auto where my neighbor works to get some NGK plugs and wires per recommendation on a few threads here via search, got the plugs, wires had to be ordered, will be here Friday. Good thing I have a third car!

Edit: 4/26:

Parts came in today... WHOOT! :thumbup:

Here was my problem: Wire ripped apart from the boot.The boot is on the road somewhere.

IMG_20130426_155305_zps5e3a2a60-1_zpseb0

Figured I may as well replace this while I was at it. Preheater hose is trashed!

IMG_20130426_155409_zpsd3a3f6e0.jpg?t=13

NEW Parts: (Well, actually the manual came with the truck.)

IMG_20130426_155233_zps6cdb9e65.jpg?t=13

New preheater hose on.

IMG_20130426_165132_zpse16b5c4d.jpg?t=13

Plugs and wires on. NGK wires are FANCY!

IMG_20130426_165146_zpsf49013bd.jpg?t=13

NGK G-power plugs... YEAH G! G-power, put a cap in yo ass!

IMG_20130426_160139_zpsadf64b83.jpg?t=13

Also tuned and adjusted my carb. It was stalling and running rough at idle for a long time.

Now I just have to figure out WTF is up with my speedometer and odometer not working...

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the motor finished in my truck hit a minor road-block, only a week or two delay (I hope, I hope, I hope).

I'm using this extra time to clean up the engine bay and address other areas on my old girl.

I had this license plate frame ready to go, so I picked up some new hardware to install it ...

IMG_0328_zps43dd88a4.jpg

... also started looking at what I need to do to get some tunes in my cab ...

IMG_0326_zps577d4032.jpg

... Man I love these original Pioneer Super Tuner's B)

Yep - there is a KOME spot on there!  Back in the 70's they had an awesome radio station, like no one else.

I wondered if any Ratsun member would know about that.  Did you lived in the SF Bay area at some point?

I grew up in San José used to hitch to the beaches. Used to skate everywhere. It was a great place

to grow up. Where are you at?

Sean

Well, yesterday I replaced this busted speedometer that got dropped on concrete by the wife. I had tried to superglue it and duct tape in back, but nope. Soon as I tightened the screws it broke again! I hadn't noticed before the metal framing was bent.

IMG_20130514_000556_zps59ac75df.jpg?t=13

This is the "new" one from Wayno my wife bought, looks nice! Of course it should have, he packed it well enough to survive an atomic bomb! Also I painted the dial red to match the rest of the gauges I painted a while back. I didn't like the faded beige. And I touched up the trip reset with black and silver.

IMG_20130513_235539_zps8ddc0538.jpg?t=13

I also cleaned the gauges and housing up and cleaned/waxed the lenses. Then I painted the old faded and peeling silver faceplate black and gold. I tried to mask it off and paint it silver again, but it didn't work out.

Before:

42cfa819-287e-4a27-94fb-966a69705104_zps

AFTER:

IMG_20130514_091310_zps785f925a.jpg?t=13

Hopefully later today I can put in the new speedo cable and reinstall the gauges and get this truck back on the road!

• Like 1

Update on my last post. Got it and the cable installed, drove it, everything works fine! And I think this is the first time since I have owned the truck since 2011 that the speedo reads CORRECTLY! And the needle doesn't bounce.

HELL YEAH!

IMG_20130514_194248_zps8b5c4160.jpg?t=13

• Like 1