What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today is day three of more sanding and bodywork, although I had my truck in etching primer already, being the fact that it sat in the weather everyday in Florida I am finding it necessary to redo alot of the work. and the tailgate which was pretty much shaped body filler on the top and bottom is getting cut up and remade with metal. trying to do this right.. I will try and remember to take some pics today and post them in my build thread. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, not today, but worked on it over the past couple of weeks, finished it up this past weekend.

Weber 32/36 carburetor, TransDapt 2" spacer/adapter, Redline air cleaner adapter, and a 10" Edelbrock air cleaner. Spectre carb stud kit and air cleaner bolt kit. Runs much better, has more power, and better gas mileage than the shot POS Hitachi. After a few adjustments and setting the timing to 12 degrees advanced it runs great! Also installed a new fuel filter,  160 degree thermostat, new antifreeze, Bosch wiper blades, and NGK V-power copper plugs.

64dc5977-fde4-4986-9d01-5b7741d82bd3_zps

D8208E76-50EF-4DF3-8563-9A8E1CB52B5D_zps

I also made some covers for my hood vents after an unexpected rain soaked my filter and got a lot of water in my oil pan!

D2A2BBCD-4C5F-42A2-9397-20009DFC8182_zps

They are just household magnetic register vent covers painted black.

A5E0D2F7-F367-42FD-B59D-A89F11826FF0_zps

For the full details on the installation check my build thread:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/47004-my-1980-datsun-720/?p=754329

• Like 1

Put on a fancy little air cleaner nut and a small inline fuel filter before the carb to help filter the fuel better in addition to the one near the tank. I have no idea why Photofuckit decided to stretch the damn picture all funky?

1244f713-a092-4a38-b482-864da7e85b42_zps

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

This was all earlier in the week, but just now got around to uploading the pictures. Changed the wing nut on the air cleaner yet again. That last one actually made the damned hood bulge up in the middle! It looked like I had done the ricer spacing in the rear. So I ordered this from the Autozone I work at part time. A low profile nut from Edelbrock. Looks better and no more rubbing or bulging of the hood.

294406D2-8C75-441F-81FF-A4B6F1EB3447_zps

bf545d1a-2858-41ed-b959-c2e154332ba2_zps

Also when I went to remove the last nut I had installed (see above post) I found a different problem. And thank goodness the damn bolt on the adapter was positioned just right so it didn't fall down into the carb and sit on top in between them! WHEW! That could have been a disaster! The weld on the bottom had broken and the bolt was loose. So I tightened the end with a double nut and removed the aggravating hand thread nuts that came in the Spectre spacer kit and installed some real nuts I could tighten with a wrench. 

cdadabcf-7e52-4dd9-b548-aff5de6c035d_zps

6E41FB85-07E2-475D-947D-09A625AC1320_zps

3C0D434B-BA2D-4E46-B6B3-A7DE4A3073AD_zps

Now I think I have this Edelbrock air cleaner and Weber carb figured out. At least I hope!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice looking dash!

thanks! just looked at your thread...is yours a cap? theres hairline cracks a day later in mine from wedging it into place. might seal those up but if it keeps happening just from driving vibrations ill go with the cap i guess...that restore was a pain in the asssssssss.

• Like 1

Mine is original as far as I know.  Not sure what a cap actually looks like to compare it to.  Mine is pretty much seamless. Heard some good things about the caps though.  I want to try my hand at restoring /recovering one eventually though.

• Like 1

It was fun but I'd do it slightly different next time. Do NOT use bondo bumper repair. Use SEM bumper repair. They sand totally different. My first coat on the cracks was with bondo bumper repair and it was soooo hard to work with. SEM mixes wayyyy better and sands easier too.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Been wanting new wheels for a long time, but I'm broke as hell. Tax refund got used for bills and other more important things. But I decided to give the old 14" steel wheels a makeover with D21 Hardbody centercaps, chrome Nissan decals, chrome lug nuts, chrome valve caps, and some chrome trim rings. Total of about $60 worth of parts... eBay and junkyards for the win when you're broke!

Wow! What a difference!

20150323_1504142_zpsbjnn0qdq.jpg

Before:

IMG_20130411_085020-1_zps89745840.jpg

And here is a really old BEFORE pic when the wheels were dirty, dingy white with rusted lug nuts and hubs...

39299934003_large.jpg

And a gratuitous side shot I took today just because...

20150323_1503552_zpsouaqwx3c.jpg

• Like 3

What did you do to your truck today?

Cussed it out!   :angry: 

Tried to crank it so I could drive somewhere... and nothing happened! Damn  thing wouldn't even jump off the wife's car with it's brand new battery! Took out the battery as it was prime suspect being bought August 2011 from Advance Auto, but it tested good. Came home, reinstalled, had the wife start the truck while I tapped on the starter solenoid with a hammer... vroom! Long story short the goddamned Duracrap starter from AutoZone failed me after only having it in my truck for six months... I'm pissed! Yes, it has a lifetime warranty but how long will the next one last? It already irked me from the start being half the size of the original part. I debated on just buying a better one someplace else. Carquest had a Bosch rebuilt for $80 or NEW Hitachi for $170, but I don't have money for either right now, same as when I bought the reman Duracrapper for $30. DAMMIT, being broke sucks! So I had them order me another reman POS under warranty at Autozone after they bench tested and failed it. So now my truck sits on blocks until tomorrow afternoon...

• Like 1

The last two days I have been busy with my truck.

Yesterday: another reman starter from Autozone as I am too broke to afford to buy another one right now. At least this one matches the size of the old one. Hopefully it lasts longer than a year!

20150326_190311_HDR2_zps4rs5wqpo.jpg

And I moved the secondary fuel filter away from the distributor and exhaust.

20150326_190339_HDR2_zpslpaidgem.jpg

Then I started to install the "new" seat.

Took out the old one and pulled all the vinyl floor liner, even in the front, surprisingly not a lot of rust, NO ROTTED HOLES! Just a little surface rust. So I scraped, sanded, and painted with Rust-Oleum. The only hole I had was around the wiring coming up through the hole on the passenger side. RTV'd that up and then duct taped over that.

20150326_1604252_zpssubo5fpy.jpg

• Like 1

Today I installed the D21 Hardbody seat I got from the junkyard last week. It took a LOOOOOOOOONG time to dry out after I pressure washed and steam cleaned it.

Of course it isn't a 720 seat, so not an exact fit! Adjustments and modifications were necessary. Front holes lined up, but not the rear. So, had to drill some holes! Circle over old seat mounting hole, arrow points to new one. I wound up using new bolts with lock washers and nuts in the new holes. Stuck the old mounting bolts back in the original holes to prevent air leaks. I also had to move the jack into the corner because the seat wouldn't go back all the way.

b8c39cb2-ee94-44e9-8d53-6cfb46f2d9c7_zps

And here is the end result...

20150326_185914_HDR2_zpsfvsxd91e.jpg

20150326_185806_HDR2_zps2nicoldb.jpg

20150326_192320_HDR2_zpskvrivl7y.jpg

Sits and rides better. Seems like I have more legroom too. The head rests are nice too, no more whacking my head on the glass! I do need to get a seat cover to hide the rips and cigarette burns on the driver side though. Plus burgundy doesn't match my interior worth a darn.

• Like 2