Don't gloat, I don't argue with walls, especially when they are attacking a backed up statement. If it makes you happy to assert your opinions as fact that everyone should abide by, fine live in your own world where the only thing that matters is what comes from your mind.

Backed up statement? That's laughable. I was there you were-you weren't. With the exception of the Javelin/AMX everything AMC made was a joke. And I'm being really,REALLY polite here. AMC was the laughing stock of Detroit.And to prove it,they went out of business. And the record books back up MY version.
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

In-correct. They went out of business because they made ugly cars that no-one wanted.This goes to my Javelin/AMC point. Neither GM, Ford or Chrysler went out of business.

I don't know, you ever seen a 74 gtx or a mustang 2, 73 chevelle? Horrid looking cars, I'd take a javelin or a rambler over that.

Backed up statement? That's laughable. I was there you were-you weren't. With the exception of the Javelin/AMX everything AMC made was a joke. And I'm being really,REALLY polite here. AMC was the laughing stock of Detroit.And to prove it,they went out of business. And the record books back up MY version.

You are a couple of years older than me, You were there? I quoted from trusted sights not just my 2 cents, which apparently is all you have.

In-correct. They went out of business because they made ugly cars that no-one wanted.This goes to my Javelin/AMC point. Neither GM, Ford or Chrysler went out of business.

I didn't know they went out of business. I thought Fiat/Chrysler was still making Jeeps

• Like 1

I have never heard much about AMCs being any junkier than the average late 1960s/early 1970s Big Three car. I do remember old timers bitching a lot about AMC being horrible so far as parts interchangeability but have no first-hand knowledge of that. Lots of comparisons were made for years about how Ford and AMC both seemed to love to change parts from one year to the next for no apparent reason throughout the 1960s. Such anti-FoMoCo and anti-AMC comments were often followed with something like, "You can take a damned nineteen and fifty-five 265 Chevy an' that sumbitch will bolt right up to a nineteen and eighty-five turbo four hundred transmission!". that never meant much to me. in twenty-seven years of car buying the only Chevys I ever owned were a 1976 Silverado and a 1980 Camaro, both of which were purchased in panics when I had to have a car immediately and could only do so by having a shady character tote a note.

AM was number 4 (maybe) of the Big Three auto makers. They tried harder and took chances on style and performance.

Ha ha ha... AM was bought out by Chrysler back in the 80s mostly to get the Jeep.

Some were ugly but some also were just innovative or forward thinking, some even got awards for design. Big fish eat little fish and AMC was 'absorbed'. Someone has to be #4 or 5 just happened to be AMC. A car maker that 'went out of business' was Studebaker.

I know first hand about hard to find parts, my dad has a 60 galaxie wagon, EVERYTHING is one year only, sweet fucking car though.

yup. you can blame the 1957 Chryslers for that.

4344792491_1149e619d2_b.jpg

the '57 Mopar "Forward Look - Suddenly it's 1960!" line-up scared the hell out of GM and Ford. those cars were low, fast and modern.

The 1957 Imperial (below) took a big bite out of Cadillac and Lincoln sales with a very tasteful blend of modernity (huge, wrap-around windshields, brushed stainless roofs, pushbutton transmissions, swivel bucket seats) and retro 1920s/1930s styling cues (freestanding headlight and taillights, faux continental kits).

Elvis01.jpg

255658.jpg

004.jpg

(note: both pink cars are 1957 Imperials. One has dual headlamps while the other has quads because not all states had legalized quads yet so Chrysler accommodated all. Also, these are Imperials, not Chrysler Imperials. Imperial was a separate make for a few years, just as the first Valiants were not Plymouths and did not have Plymouth badges until a few years later. In fact, the Mopar line-up for 1960s was Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler and Imperial and each was a separate make).

As a result GM only kept it's new bodies of 1958 for one years, all GM (to include Cadillac!) shared contrived shells for 1959 while Ford kept their new 1959 and their new 1960s shells each for one year only.

'64 Fairlanes will make parts guys ask you questions like, "What month was your car built?" when you're buying suspension stuff. Also, a 1964 289 built in April of 1964 will not bolt up to the transmission that the factory put behind a 289 built in December of 1964 because they went from a five to a six bolt bellhousing. front shocks for the '64 Fairlanes are almost impossible to buy in anything but a stunningly expensive yet crappy unit built in Mexico. longtime owners figured out that 1985 Dodge 1/2 ton front shocks can be adapted easily though.

• Like 1

^ Tech! Fuck ya! 

I know first hand about hard to find parts, my dad has a 60 galaxie wagon, EVERYTHING is one year only, sweet fucking car though.

Pics!

:D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

...and what are the rights of a private business owner any more? Are "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" signs still legal?

Depends if it offends some shoeless shirtless useless scum of society....or hippy, whichever you prefer.