• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

AM was number 4 (maybe) of the Big Three auto makers. They tried harder and took chances on style and performance.

yup. and if the Javelin and AMX had been Chevy products they would today be as eagerly sought as Chevelles and Camaros. the Camaro & the Firebird had both been designed as two-seater cars but GM panicked before production started and added the rear seat to increase sales.

AMC took a gamble and let the AMX go out the door with only two seats. that took guts. they were gorgeous cars but so many young people of that era still saw AMC as Rambler and that brand name had old man stink on it.

amx70AMX3.jpg

AMC built some awesome muscle machines though.

70donahue-1.jpg

268967.jpg

1970AMCRebelMachine_01_700.jpg

hell, AMC post-muscle car era still tried to shake things up a bit. that takes guts.

gremlin_levi.jpg

• Like 1

Hot Rod Magazine (or maybe Car Craft, I get both) did an April Fools issue several years ago stating some company had bought the rights to AMC and was going to release updated models showing with these pictures.

AMC guys were mad it wasn't true

hrdp_0804_05_zamc_concept_carsamc_g_zpsc

looks as good at the current re-imagining of the 1970 Challenger and waaaay better than that thing GM badged as a Camaro and then shamefully shoved out the door like it was the after-birth of a bastard rat.

AMC took a gamble and let the AMX go out the door with only two seats. that took guts. they were gorgeous cars but so many young people of that era still saw AMC as Rambler and that brand name had old man stink on it.

amx70AMX3.jpg

AMC built some awesome muscle machines though.

I did like the Javelin looks. Street raced a few in early '70s. My Dart won easily.

268967.jpg

'69 Hurst Rambler Scrambler. Never even got close to beating a friends 390 Scrambler. I could launch better but when he hit second his hood would lift 6" as he zipped by me. Three or four lengths between us at the finish was best I could do. Had to be in the low 13s.

1970AMCRebelMachine_01_700.jpg

hell, AMC post-muscle car era still tried to shake things up a bit. that takes guts.

Actually saw a new one on the highway once. They called them 'The Machine'. Same 390 engine.

• Like 1

^^^^https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_AMX

This data sheet argues with you.

AMC also made an all-out assault on quarter-mile performance with the Super Stock AMX. At $5994, it cost $1900 more than a fully loaded regular 1969 AMX, the SS/AMX ran with the 390 treated to twin Holley carburetors, 12.3:1 compression heads, a set of Doug’s headers and exhaust system, plus a host of other modifications undertaken by Hurst. It was rather ridiculously rated at 340 horsepower by AMC, the National Hot Rod Association ultimately rated the SS/AMX at 420 horsepower and shuffled it among various classes: SS/G, SS/D, and SS/C. It could be ordered in all-white paint, or in the vertical red, white, and blue that banded the bodies of many AMC competition cars of the day. Only 52 were produced and most of those spent their entire life on the drag strip. Surviving models are extremely valuable.

Above quote is from Muscle car facts.

http://www.musclecarfacts.com/amc-amx/51-1969-amx

^^^^https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_AMX

This data sheet argues with you.

AMC also made an all-out assault on quarter-mile performance with the Super Stock AMX. At $5994, it cost $1900 more than a fully loaded regular 1969 AMX, the SS/AMX ran with the 390 treated to twin Holley carburetors, 12.3:1 compression heads, a set of Doug’s headers and exhaust system, plus a host of other modifications undertaken by Hurst. It was rather ridiculously rated at 340 horsepower by AMC, the National Hot Rod Association ultimately rated the SS/AMX at 420 horsepower and shuffled it among various classes: SS/G, SS/D, and SS/C. It could be ordered in all-white paint, or in the vertical red, white, and blue that banded the bodies of many AMC competition cars of the day. Only 52 were produced and most of those spent their entire life on the drag strip. Surviving models are extremely valuable.

Above quote is from Muscle car facts.

http://www.musclecarfacts.com/amc-amx/51-1969-amx

Specialty cars?Come on.that's like comparing MOPAR's A-bombs to a showroom car.

I still think the greatest odd ball muscle cars were the Studebakers, a lark with an R3 could really put a hurting on most of the "fast" cars out of the box.

My Dad was into Studebakers and Ramblers before he was into Datsuns. They all have "Old School FUNKY" in common.

• Like 2

Of course you are.

Don't gloat, I don't argue with walls, especially when they are attacking a backed up statement. If it makes you happy to assert your opinions as fact that everyone should abide by, fine live in your own world where the only thing that matters is what comes from your mind.

Pole & poll are two different words, with different meanings. The fact of rather I drive the car that I build is neither here nor there, someone obviously drives it when it is completed. Feelings hurt? Do you feel the need to attack me on all of my posts?