What other skills/hobbies do you guys have, Besides wrench'n on cars.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, KELMO said:

I use this just to make noise (really can't be defined as playing).

The guitar is a Maestro SG copy, the Fender amp is a bassman 410 with a practice amp on top. Bought the 410 amp in the early 80's when I thought I was getting good a playing a bass...40years later, I still suck.

Oh, there is a Yamaha, a Memphis bass, and some other nonsense around here somewhere.

05MtuD4.jpg

Have almost always had a dart board wherever I have lived.

jUPkCGL.jpg

First set of real darts I ever bought (late 70's or early 80's) paid $120.00 for them which was a lot of cash for a kid just starting High School.

yLg9pBx.jpg

The weight can be adjusted as needed and they were great for learning what weight worked for me. I usually throw around 27 grams and still use them to this day. Not really exceptional at it but, it gives me something to do when I am feeling bored.

87XJWR4.jpg

Man, 27 grams makes a noise when it hits.  I think my setup is just below 21 grams.  Set of old power points.

• 1 month later...

Repos of some stuff Photofucket stole from this thread.

A few years ago I made this 60" wooden Scottish Claymore for my brother Ken, who financed our SR20 510 project. I wanted to do something special for him and put everything I could into it.

Fullsward.jpg.f312c54067ab864333f2876c679cef19.jpg

The Blade:

Made of Ipe wood which is very dense and hard yet flexible, like forged metal. It tapers from the broad base narrowing at the top with a coved relief into the edge exactly how the forged blade is shaped. The fullers are unstained ebony inlay that shows the natural dark woodgrain.

Swardblade.jpg.024c8c9405617f2007b6b36ffa6929d2.jpg

Cross Guard & Chappe:

The cross guard, also made of Ipe, pitches forward at the tips which is unique to the Claymore. At the center of the hard maple chappe there is a window revealing the full tank construction running through the handle. The Blade is accomplished with mahogany and maple dowels that pass through all the components held in the chappe.

Sward1.jpg.fac6ea07188ae0372daafb6c9e0f9037.jpg

The Handel:

Features an angle cut stack of Bubinga (Zebrawood) and hermitage Bahia Rosewood. Chosen for their similar grain structure, I blended them to create the illusion of a single continuous grain pattern running through both wood species. Rather than cutting whole sections and slide them onto the ipe tank, the stack is split and flipped on itself creating a checker board appearance on the sides. The pieces of deep red Cocabola at the transition into the chappe and the pommel are hand shaped as is the handle. These woods are so exotic they're not sold by the board foot, but by the ounce.

Grainblending.jpg.cbddeb3399749bca30e7a7e34f3d2cf2.jpg

Handelchecker.jpg.8b3143b132c86393228df47f612f1359.jpg

Edited by paradime
  • Like 8
17 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Been building custom guitars (mostly for friends) for a little over two years, off and on (mostly only in cooler weather, garage is too damn hot in the summer)...

Building instruments requires next level permission if you want it to work right. You playing your gorgeous guitar is the proof in the pudding. Bravo!

• Like 5

DIY Super Freek Hall of Fame.

Tech industry Texan went off the deep end cracking the secrets of how Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer accomplished his photorealistic style of painting. For anyone who shares the DIY spirit, THIS IS A MUST SEE MOVIE...

John Btritten's insane hand built in his garage V-1000 won the New Zealand Gran Prix, posted the fastest top speed at the Isle of Man TT, set world records for the  standing start mile (1000cc) at 213.512 mph, and standing km at 186.245 mph.

• Like 4

Been learning how to remodel my place.  The demo pic is basically what the closet looked like at that time after we demo’d it. Some of the work was farmed out to licensed contractors, but I built the closet fixtures. They’re actually the plywood I pulled up out of other sections of the house.  Thankfully this isn’t a woodworking competition thread or I’d be in dead last place.  I really like how it came out.

E1ED79D0-DE66-4DCD-9F97-325B4EA60055.jpeg

DBAEBA4D-6AD2-4A47-AA1C-7214C493BA09.jpeg

• Like 9