What other skills/hobbies do you guys have, Besides wrench'n on cars.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I play with wood sometimes. Just finished this one last night

3A057C49-C97A-4977-9B6A-612EFB8F47D3.jpg

42BB5EF4-F782-4B96-AEEA-62EB24A36261.jpg

8DCD01E4-D42E-4B7D-8FF8-7C38E6177535.jpg

07B1F39F-3D65-4E36-A593-674488DADAFA.jpg

This one just got in a gallery. Now I need to price it. Never really priced a piece like this. And I'm not a known name artist. But it is a higher end gallery. What would you expect to see a box priced at? Koa, eucalyptus, span. Cedar. I'm not desperate to sell, but it would be nice.

• Like 2

Something like that I'd be willing to pay $150. At least, if it was priced higher and I saw it and had the money depending on my mood I could possibly pay up to $300

This one just got in a gallery. Now I need to price it. Never really priced a piece like this. And I'm not a known name artist. But it is a higher end gallery. What would you expect to see a box priced at? Koa, eucalyptus, span. Cedar. I'm not desperate to sell, but it would be nice.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't sell it man. That's a personal one of a kind accomplishment, and you'll never get back what you've put into it. As you know $150 barely covers the materials. Unless you're able to mechanize the process, you'll never make money. With a small repeatable piece like that, even an established artist will do a run of 10-20 to keep the labor costs down. In a gallery, in say Hana lulu, with a name behind it, a box like yours might go for $250 to $300, but if you built 10, or 20 of them at the same time you could make some real money. 

The sward I built is made of Ipe, Cocobolo, Rosewood, Mahogany, Bubinga, Ebony, and Maple. I got a wild hair up my ass and took my best shot at perfection. I have well over $400 in wood, and 200 hours into that thing. I could never justify selling it for what it's actually worth, and no one could justify paying for what I put into it. In the deepest sense of the word ownership though, that sward is mine on all levels. Who knows, maybe one day my great grandkids can sell it as a piece of anonymous folk art and make a few bucks. 

My biggest hobby is turning cheezy gordita crunches and 5 layer burritos into poop.  Second to that I can fly some helicopters upside down n shit.  Once in a while I do autobody work but that's only Mon-Fri 9-5.  Once or twice a month I like to heat up iron and hit it with a hammer while it's on top of another larger piece of iron that is a couple hundred pounds.

• 10 months later...

Finally finishing up The Home Office. My crappy vision slows shit down, but I can still get'er done.

This entire office area was an open vaulted ceiling above the entry. I built a floor across from the second floor to the adjacent attic, then bumped into the attic space to accommodate the desk. it added about 40 sq. ft to our house and cost next to nothing to make. When I was working as a Design Build Contractor I collected enough scrap lumber over the years to build a house. Even the stainless cable railing was salvaged after replacing a client's railing with a high end sail boat turn buckle system. Oh sure I'll get rid of these for ya... Score.

I still have a bunch of them if anybody's interested. You want them, they're yours.

thehomeofice.jpg

thehomeofice2.jpg

thehomeoffice3.jpg

thehomeoffice4.jpg

• Like 4

Had some cabin fever.....soooooo.........I built some urns over the winter.

Here's a few of them.

IMG_20150411_101010_zps7wq6i9mz.jpg

I just shipped this one to Puerto Rico

P5250006%202_zpsu9l9xlr0.jpg

P5240006_zpsdfrswgff.jpg

Access is through a hidden sliding panel.

P5280013_zpseb8lnv0e.jpg

P5250008_zpscqdoqucr.jpg

Some serious Pyramid power shit going on here............sharpens razors, improves well being, fruit ripens slower etc....etc.... ;) ....... :lol:

• Like 2

Some serious Miter cut shit going on there. Your seems are dead on and look water tight. Did you use a cross cut sled on a tale saw? So... What the F'n hell are you going to do with those?

• 7 years later...

I decided to try to learn some upholstery.  Around the first of this year, I bought a nice industrial sewing machine, and  I have been doing door panels and carpeting in my '40 Ford. 

I really enjoy it, and plan on hitting the junkyard and buying a seat or two for practice..

sewtable.jpg

drpnl.jpg

interior.JPG

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 9
On 7/15/2022 at 6:31 PM, Hawaiian620 said:

The blue one? That one of the RCs i built with leaf springs in the rear. Thanks though! 

I have an Xterra for my fishing rig

Screenshot_20220715-182601_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220715-182705_Instagram.jpg

nice picture on the jeep 

it made it look like you drove to the extremes to go fishing 

• Like 1

I use this just to make noise (really can't be defined as playing).

The guitar is a Maestro SG copy, the Fender amp is a bassman 410 with a practice amp on top. Bought the 410 amp in the early 80's when I thought I was getting good a playing a bass...40years later, I still suck.

Oh, there is a Yamaha, a Memphis bass, and some other nonsense around here somewhere.

05MtuD4.jpg

Have almost always had a dart board wherever I have lived.

jUPkCGL.jpg

First set of real darts I ever bought (late 70's or early 80's) paid $120.00 for them which was a lot of cash for a kid just starting High School.

yLg9pBx.jpg

The weight can be adjusted as needed and they were great for learning what weight worked for me. I usually throw around 27 grams and still use them to this day. Not really exceptional at it but, it gives me something to do when I am feeling bored.

87XJWR4.jpg

• Like 5