What does everyone do for a living?

I just got fired, so now I am poor and unemployed.

Well, that sucks, and the economy taking a nosedive (thankyouverymuch, King George) doesn't help. At least I don't think it's gonna be as bad as during dot bomb. I didn't work regular for three years. Then I got fired (first time ever fired) in March 2007 and was unemployed until Nov 2007. Back making what I did ten years ago, but at least I'm having fun (Boeing Enterprise Help Desk --- computer geek).

I see plenty of Help Wanted signs at fast food, Home Despot, Shucks, etc. It's not a career, but you're young, so they should help make ends meet and buy Datto parts while you look for something better.

And, don't laugh, you might consider joining the military. The Army is paying high bonuses that you could use for college when you get out. You might even like it. My nephew bounced around directionless for several years after graduating high school. Joined the Navy and is thriving in the aviation field.

Don't want to go to Iraq? Hey, there's the Navy or Air Force. Oh, wait, I said military....Air Force doesn't count. :D

I can say that as I'm an Air Force brat/retired US Navy diver.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that sucks, and the economy taking a nosedive (thankyouverymuch, King George) doesn't help. At least I don't think it's gonna be as bad as during dot bomb. I didn't work regular for three years. Then I got fired (first time ever fired) in March 2007 and was unemployed until Nov 2007. Back making what I did ten years ago, but at least I'm having fun (Boeing Enterprise Help Desk --- computer geek).

I see plenty of Help Wanted signs at fast food, Home Despot, Shucks, etc. It's not a career, but you're young, so they should help make ends meet and buy Datto parts while you look for something better.

And, don't laugh, you might consider joining the military. The Army is paying high bonuses that you could use for college when you get out. You might even like it. My nephew bounced around directionless for several years after graduating high school. Joined the Navy and is thriving in the aviation field.

Don't want to go to Iraq? Hey, there's the Navy or Air Force. Oh, wait, I said military....Air Force doesn't count. :D

I can say that as I'm an Air Force brat/retired US Navy diver.

LOL! so true being an Air Force monkey myself I know all about it. Yeah man your young, learn a skill by joining the air guard and they will set you straight for life. peace.

And, don't laugh, you might consider joining the military.

I joined the navy straight out of high school. I left 4 days after I graduated. There were PLENTY of shitty days. I was a submarine nuclear electrician. I was in for 11 years. I was medically retired. When I got out I had made pretty damn good money, went to college and got a 4 year degree, still have a GI bill I could use to go to school, and most of all I am valuable in the civilian job market. I work with guys that don't have the Navy/nuke background. They do just as good a job as I do but they don't have any where near the theory background and years of experience that I do. I make $10-$15 an HOUR more than them. I'm not bragging. What I'm saying is the experience and what I learned is worth a LOT!

Ha! Me, too. Graduated Class of '70, bummed around on the motorcycle all summer, then raised my right hand and into boot camp in October. I'd had electronics in high school and scored high on those on the pre-tests, so planned on Advanced Electronics program.

However, that silver-tongued recruiter needed to meet his Nuke Program quota and convinced me to go that route since 3 of the 4 ratings were electrical/electronic. What I didn't know is that there are more MO's (Machinery Operators) per boat/ship that all the EO's (Electrical Operators) combined! So guess who became a Machinist Mate? :mad:

Barely made it through NucPwrSchool in Vallejo. Got to prototype in Idaho Falls and told 'em to pack sand. Spent a week in the brig on Treasure Island, then spent the next 9 years on auxiliaries (ammo and oil) doing hydraulics work, and shore duty (SIMA Pearl Harbor) before working as a civilian at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. If you think the military is bad, civil service is worse. Anyway, came back in, became a Navy Diver (yeah, yeah, Men of Honor and all that jazz), and retired out of Bangor in '92.

The last two years weren't the greatest, but overall I had a great time and saw a bit of the world.

I did 6 years as a Navy Diesel Engineman, worked mainly with auxiliary systems (a/c, galley equipment, laundry equipment, small boats) Got out worked at the chevy dealer in El Cajon Ca, then started working for the govt on thier harbor security boats an Naval Air Station North Island, parents got sick so now I moved back home to help take care of the house and I start school as a full time student in June....as of right now I work outta my garage on other peoples cars

• 7 months later...

Some people on here have some pretty cool jobs. I received my degree in aerospace engineering with a concentration in astrodynamics (orbital mechanics stuff) from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Yeah I know boring nerdy stuff but it's what I've wanted to do since I was 12 after my astronaut dreams were dashed when I found out it takes a military path to get there, so I figured I wanted to work on what took us up to space instead.

Currently I work at on a military satellite program as a systems engineer and have worked on 3 launches (all of them sucessful). One of my designs that I was involved in from concept to custom one off builds are orbiting us right now, which a second more complicated one going up soon, so that's kind of cool. I'd like to work on the Orion project, the space shuttle replacement program, but we'll see.

It pays well enough, I won't be getting rich but it does pay the bills and it has allowed me to buy my own home, my little 'fleet' of cars, and afford a decent lifesytle for me, my wife, and our puppy. A Datsun 510 was my first car when I was 15 years old and I've been hooked ever since!

I like the diversity of Datsun/Ratsun owners, it's always great talking to car guys, especially when they're into older rides.

While I don't have a cool pic of me at work (even though it's a mostly a cubicle job camera's aren't allowed or cell phones with cameras especially in our high bay where the spacecrafts are in) here's what I work on.

First pic is an artist rendition of the satellite I work on.

The second pic is a composite image taken by our bird of the earth lights on at night.

2583.jpg

earthlights_dmsp.jpg

I got a new job about a year ago. I work with Carter at ElectroImpact in the fastener feed department. It can be loads of fun and some days or weeks it sucks. Lately it has been fun, assembling, welding, some machining and that sorta stuff. WAY better than construction. I also have solid works on my computer, I suck at using it though hahaha. Hopefully next month I will pass both the welding tests. It would be cool to be certified at something. It's also nice being able to build fancy datto parts after work :D

I work for Willamette Falls Health Center in Canby.

I operate the laboratory services and help with Urgent Care patients. I also do occupational drug screen collections:D and audio testing. Never a dull moment!!!

lol I usta work at godfathers pizza in Canby driving my old 280zx. I work for Artex/Cobham aircraft supplies making ELTs now, not to bad just making batteries and computer chips and such

Some people on here have some pretty cool jobs. I received my degree in aerospace engineering with a concentration in astrodynamics (orbital mechanics stuff) from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Yeah I know boring nerdy stuff but it's what I've wanted to do since I was 12 after my astronaut dreams were dashed when I found out it takes a military path to get there, so I figured I wanted to work on what took us up to space instead.

Currently I work at on a military satellite program as a systems engineer and have worked on 3 launches (all of them sucessful). One of my designs that I was involved in from concept to custom one off builds are orbiting us right now, which a second more complicated one going up soon, so that's kind of cool. I'd like to work on the Orion project, the space shuttle replacement program, but we'll see.

I like the diversity of Datsun/Ratsun owners, it's always great talking to car guys, especially when they're into older rides.

Wow thats pretty sweet i thought my job was cool... Im on the Bomb Squad... you know like keanu Reeves in that movie speed... but way cooler:lol::lol::lol: No for real Im military Explosive Ordnance Disposal its alot of fun im working on getting a degree right now so that when i get out I would like to work for an alphabet company doing explosive forensics or something like that. So i am getting a bio/chemical engineering degree

Wow thats pretty sweet i thought my job was cool... Im on the Bomb Squad... you know like keanu Reeves in that movie speed... but way cooler:lol::lol::lol: No for real Im military Explosive Ordnance Disposal its alot of fun im working on getting a degree right now so that when i get out I would like to work for an alphabet company doing explosive forensics or something like that. So i am getting a bio/chemical engineering degree

sweet! :D you should hook it up for the 4th ;)

Happiness is relative. A billionaire isn't any happier than you are on a good day. Just remember that. The best job in the world, I mean flat out best job there is, is working at a job you really like to do.

Mike what happens if we have A.D.D and we get board no mater what we do? Does that mean our who life is going to suck?

im a ampm maintenance dude.

every time you guys go get gas all wasted and stick a credit card into the bill acceptor, i get called out to BFE to pull it out.

yes people are that dumb, i get like 4 calls a week for that very thing.

look for a hilux on 17's at a ampm near you. (wa/or)

Mike what happens if we have A.D.D and we get board no mater what we do? Does that mean our who life is going to suck?

Nah, just when you get bored, but don't worry you have ADD and will be distracted soon :P

I'm still at the same job I had when this thread started...some kinda record for me.

I even got promoted to Senior Tool Designer... :D