What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three days ago I dropped my L20b in without the trans, thinking I could get the trans onto the engine from under the car. Somehow I just couldn't get that done, not without raising the car a lot higher and borrowing more jack stands. So I pulled the engine out again, bolted the dogleg to it, and stuffed everything back in the car. I didn't hook up the motor mounts that day - how hard could that be? I found out today - it was a regular little PIG, and didn't want its mounts bolted down. I tried about every variation of unbolting mounts from the block, from the crossmember, taking the mount apart, raising the engine, lowering the engine, changing the tilt of the engine. What finally worked was getting the passenger side all together, leaving the driver side unbolted at the crossmember. Lowered almost all the weight down, then used C-clamp, pry bar, and lining punches to get bolts through the lower mount into the crossmember. Probably not the approved method, but it worked. At one point I was sure I had the wrong motor mounts, maybe 610, since I do have a set of those. The holes weren't just a little out of line - it was a lot.

Next step, even before working on the trans mount, will be installing the clutch slave cylinder and making sure the clutch works. I made my best educated guess on which clutch sleeve to use, but until I know I have a working clutch, I'll be skeptical. If the sleeve is wrong, everything will have to come out again. But the weather is still good enough to work outside, and I can use the practice pulling engines.

Len

Driving it today and as of late I noticed it started to knock some. backed off timing to what it was originally when the motor was built and the knocking is gone and it is smoother running and driving. I will trade a bit of HP for engine life. car felt good.

Well,

Its not really what I did today but over a few days.

First off, I picked up a pretty clean 70 goon about two weeks ago.

Removed both fenders thinking I would clean and repair the rusted areas but only the drivers side was salvageable.

Picked up some clean fenders from Abraham (PL521SSS) and two very nice doors! :) thx man!!!

Hammered out the little areas and bondoed/primed them up.

Installed the driver door which fit like a charm, and proceeded to attack the engine bay.

The car came with a stock L16 and auto tranny which was coming out to accomadate the soon to be installed KA24.

Last weekend I yanked the motor and trans. (What a pain when flying solo but i got it done)

Over the last 4 days I removed the harness and all relays, MS, throttle linkages, and brakelines. Then I proceeded to scraped and grind away the 30+ years of dirt/grime/crap. Very nasty stuff.

With the help of some forum searching and friendly pointers, I cut the battery tray, welded the holes, and bondoed/primed to a clean finish.

Last night I think I finally finished the prep of the engine bay with the hopes of laying down the first coat of primer and then a single stage black. Hopefully it doesnt rain too soon. Once thats done, I suppose Ill move onto the interrior or finish the rest of the body work. Then shes off to Troys.

Thats it for now but heres a link to some progression pics. Sorry they arent in order!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cndeezphotos/sets/72157622927547290/

P.S. I still have the stock L16 for sale or trade if anyone is interested. Motor is complete, carbs, dist., etc etc. Local pickup in San Jose, or I can deliver to the bay area if needed. Make an offer but I would love to make a trade. Maybe some front seats or rear bench for the back, let me know what you got. Looking to get maybe $200-$300 I dunno.

Thanks,

David

Edited by 70Goon

Removed the antenna from the 69 4 door. I didn't want to cut a hold in my car cover for the antenna to stick through. What I thought would be an easy 5 minute job turned into 30 minutes. I could not unplg the antenna from the back of the radio without unbolting the radio from the dash first. Got the raido unbolted, moved it forward and unplugged the antenna. Then I went to remove the antenna and found that it was a cheapy made in china replacement. finally got it out without damaging it or the body. Then I went searching for a runner plug to fill the hole in the cowl. I found a rubber plug from the floor of a dime, cleaned it up and it was a perfect fit.:D Put the radio back in the dash and put the cover on the car.

The car is going into winter storage tomorrow. Bye. Bye. See you in the spring:(

Well,

Its not really what I did today but over a few days.

First off, I picked up a pretty clean 70 goon about two weeks ago.

Removed both fenders thinking I would clean and repair the rusted areas but only the drivers side was salvageable.

Picked up some clean fenders from Abraham (PL521SSS) and two very nice doors! :) thx man!!!

Hammered out the little areas and bondoed/primed them up.

Installed the driver door which fit like a charm, and proceeded to attack the engine bay.

The car came with a stock L16 and auto tranny which was coming out to accomadate the soon to be installed KA24.

Last weekend I yanked the motor and trans. (What a pain when flying solo but i got it done)

Over the last 4 days I removed the harness and all relays, MS, throttle linkages, and brakelines. Then I proceeded to scraped and grind away the 30+ years of dirt/grime/crap. Very nasty stuff.

With the help of some forum searching and friendly pointers, I cut the battery tray, welded the holes, and bondoed/primed to a clean finish.

Last night I think I finally finished the prep of the engine bay with the hopes of laying down the first coat of primer and then a single stage black. Hopefully it doesnt rain too soon. Once thats done, I suppose Ill move onto the interrior or finish the rest of the body work. Then shes off to Troys.

Thats it for now but heres a link to some progression pics. Sorry they arent in order!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cndeezphotos/sets/72157622927547290/

P.S. I still have the stock L16 for sale or trade if anyone is interested. Motor is complete, carbs, dist., etc etc. Local pickup in San Jose, or I can deliver to the bay area if needed. Make an offer but I would love to make a trade. Maybe some front seats or rear bench for the back, let me know what you got. Looking to get maybe $200-$300 I dunno.

Thanks,

David

Your Wagon is Looking good.:D It should be sweet with a KA in there.

Just a small suggestion. If you are going to all that trouble of prepping and painting the engine bay to make it look sweet, why not spend another hour or two and smooth out the indentation where the battery tray was. It will look so much better. We just did this to mine. Just some hammer and dolley work to pound it out and then some bondo to finish it off. It really makes the difference. Looks much more finished this way and then both inner fender wells will match. Here are some pics for you to compare.

What do you think?

Yours:

4156183180_8905aaf8f1.jpg

Mine:

Before:

My_VG30_Engine_Swap_11-09-08_005.jpg

During:

Engine_Compartment_Prep_002.jpg

After:

Painted_Engine_Compartment_002.jpg

Others:

Notice the indentation on this blue car.

P1010030.JPG

Smooth and Finished.

9040_Engine_Cropped_small.jpg

P1010035.JPG

Edited by qwik510
Cleaned up the front grill assembly.

Removed black spray paint.

Installed Datsun badge

Viola!!

Instant bling

Still looking for a chrome front bumper

VQ-510030.jpg

when did you pick up the vq car? and how many dattos is that now 30? 40? lol

Got mine home from where I bought it and put it up on jack stands (no suspension at the moment). I took off the rear bumper to reveal some bondo and some rust :mad: Well it's gonna be a project that I've always wanted and it will take awhile to get it back on the ground, but I'm really looking forward to it. I know from alot of members rides on here, there will be plenty of questions and hopefully a bunch of answers :lol:

Fuzz

on the goon:

the small R 1/4's rust spots are cut out/prepped and awaiting the welder...

pulled the L fender to repair the small rot hole. done!

then found significant cancer/rot in the panel that runs along the fender (where the wires/hood release cable is)

replacement section will be here in jan...

no such thing as 'rust free' i guess : pissed:

Your Wagon is Looking good.:D It should be sweet with a KA in there.

Just a small suggestion. If you are going to all that trouble of prepping and painting the engine bay to make it look sweet, why not spend another hour or two and smooth out the indentation where the battery tray was. It will look so much better. We just did this to mine. Just some hammer and dolley work to pound it out and then some bondo to finish it off. It really makes the difference. Looks much more finished this way and then both inner fender wells will match. Here are some pics for you to compare.

What do you think?

Yours:

4156183180_8905aaf8f1.jpg

Mine:

Before:

My_VG30_Engine_Swap_11-09-08_005.jpg

During:

Engine_Compartment_Prep_002.jpg

After:

Painted_Engine_Compartment_002.jpg

Others:

Notice the indentation on this blue car.

P1010030.JPG

Smooth and Finished.

9040_Engine_Cropped_small.jpg

P1010035.JPG

Yeah qwik,

I never even thought about that. It definitely looks sweet with it flattened out. Unfortunately my garage is loaded to the teeth with my woodworking crap and the parts from my goon and my buddies 71 mango, so space is limited to the outside car canopy. Its been really cold and raining up here in Northern Cali so I just wanted to get it done. Maybe I'll consider it on my next dime if time and money permits. As of now, most of my $$ is going into the built motor and drive train. Then $$ will be going to the baby when she comes. :) I do appreciate the input though.

As of late, I have repaired most of the minor dents and rust areas on the front fenders and the hood. Got them primed and painted in a single stage white. Kinda liking the ratsun like finish although its not from a spray can. I was also able to pick up some Del Sol bucket seats (FOR FREEEEE!!!) that are grey/black with a red stripe down the middle which matches my interior. Hopefully they will fit with minimal fabrication. I'll post some pics up soon!! cheers!