What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

Took purple to the new house today, had her loaded up with stuff, lost clutch pressure on the way, just 9 years ago i ran new brake and clutch lines, and a new slave, so im guessing master went out, i can pump and get pressure, but not low on fluid at all.  Then fully lost front right brake pad, hurd a chunk sound and saw it literally fall off the car, then heard metal on metal, i last did front brakes on her in 2004, so guess it was time LOL.  But got her to her new garage, where i can actually tear her apart, and work on some things with her.  Art joins her next sunday after cruising the gut for battle ground and vancouver.  Feel weird without purple here tonight when shes been with me every place ive lived for 10 years.  That car is such a important 510 to me, she may not be as beautiful as Art, or as rare, but purple has been with me as my first car, and way to many memories, just feels weird not to see her in the driveway :(

10489904_10154383554660331_2851891327959

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just 9 years ago i ran new brake and clutch lines, and a new slave, so im guessing master went out

FYI, 9 years is plenty of time for all those parts to fail, especially on a car that isn't driven daily. Not wise to assume because you did those back then that one didn't fail now.    ;)

So the other day I saw the dreaded white cloudy coolant. Really, It came as no shock that I'd finally blown my stock head gasket. This actually gave me an opportunity to put some fears to rest, and make some necessary repairs and upgrades. this way I'll feel much more confident pushing the car on a track. Some may recall that during the build there were questions razed by FLI about the freshness of the motor, I was also tripping on how that lash pad got into the oil pan, and whether it cause any damage on it's way down there. Once the head came off it was a huge relief to clearly see the cylinders and pistons are in great shape. Fresh honing marks are visible on all four cylinders, and there no vertical scoring or blow by stains whatsoever. Looking at the exhaust valves the number one cylinder was much darker than the other three. I believe this was due to compression loss at the valves though. 

I took the head to get pressure tested and have it decked. Turns out the head was fine and only need 10/1000 to clean it up. Sense everything appeared to be in good shape, then with some low budget repairs and upgrades I can push on this motor with more confidence. I decided to get a minimal valve job with new seats, guides and seals. I got a Toemi multi layered metal gasket, and ARP studs. I figure as long as I keep the redline at 7500 rpm, I feel comfortable switching over to e85 now and pushing boost to 14-16 psi.. Obviously, I will not attempt this tweaking on my own, so we're saving up for some dyno time.

While the head was out and everything more accessible, I took care of some other odds and ends. I finally installed a steering brace that I'd bought two years ago. Super easy. I replaced the Revolution water temp gauge sending unit, lowered the boost controller on the strut tower so I could reinstall the VID plate, reran the bulk of the wiring harness along the bottom rail to the front grill, and relocated the igniter chip so I could make it more accessible. 

Before I convert to e85 I want to swap the SR coils to LS2 coil packs. With this setup, you bypass the igniter chip all together at the plug as the LS2 coils have the igniter integrated in each unit. Super cheap, way more powerful, and easy to install. I figured with the cold start issues, and lower overall efficiency of e85, I could use all the help I can get. With the O2 sensor being monitored by the ECU I should be able to safely run a very tight and efficient tune. Also if any failure in the mixture should occur at WFO, the ECU will shut things down long before I ever could.

Although this car will never be a daily driver, I'll finally have confidence taking it out for the occasional fun run. There were just too many things hanging out there to drive it too far from home. Now I know what I have, and I know how far I can push it, Canby may be within reach. My lack of confidence in this motor really dampened the feeling of satisfaction with the car and the feeling it was truly complete. Finally taking away all those doubts and questions is a damn good feeling. In hindsight I really should have pulled the head before I installed the motor. Lesson learned.

CAM00496.jpg

CAM00499.jpg

So the other day I saw the dreaded white cloudy coolant.

So the other day I saw the dreaded white cloudy coolant.

2 weeks later double post must be a record!  ;)

On topic, been working on replacing half shaft u joints.  My neighbors love it :D

Ouch, got covered in stupid sauce there. I meant to post an update, but Copied and posted the wrong text.

Intended text:

I finally got the head back from the machine shop. They had to ordered the guides which took a week, then they got the wrong seals and had to send them back. Pain in the ass, but they did a great job and hooked me up with a good price. Everything should have gone back together without a hitch from there, but I managed to F things up a tree anyway. Dropped the washer from the valve chain sprocket down into the front cover. Pocked around with a light and magnet but came up empty. I wasn't about to forget it and hope for the best, but I really didn't want to pull the front cover. Fortunately I took the oil pan off first and found it there. As tight as shit is in there, it's hard to believe that fat ass washer made it all the way down there 

In between fits of stupidity I spent some time rerouting hoses, wires, and generally cleaning things up. I kind of fell short towards the end of the build and instead of sourcing a reservoir, I just had the radiator overflow line dumping coolant. Finally took care of that by modifying a polished aluminum catch can and turned it 90 degrees. Actually looks pretty cool. I also ordered the parts to do the LS2 coil pack swap; OEM coils, Wiring Specialties pigtail plugs and new SR coil sub harness, and ACCEL plug wire kit. I'm fabbing up some aluminum brackets to mount the LS2 pack to the stock coil bolt location. I won't be able to get them under the cover, but it should look bitchen seeing the yellow spark plug wire looping right into the head. I'll post up some photos.

Please forgive the repost

• Like 2

20140407_184249_zpse3aql2kr.jpg

OK, You answered  the black paint question, but that picture razes a few more; like who's in the body bag on the roof? How did you get the fatty ruber under the rear fender without flaring it? And finally, did Ermish build your cage?

• 2 weeks later...