Ratsun Dying?

When I joined Ratsun over 12 years ago It was kind of its heyday, Always lots of users online, and everyone was super active. I'd say in my observation 2008-2013 was when it was the most exciting around here (proud to be a part of that)... The success here seems to line up with the popularity at the time of the big datsun meets ie canby turnout was great those years.... I'm sure a lot of older members sold their datsuns or otherwise no longer have them. Datsuns are harder and harder to come by so obviously less new faces every year.. I still have friends that I met through ratsun, many of which still flirt with the datsun hobby, but none of them are active. I'm assuming that other digital outlets like facebook, instagram etc takes up more of their time now... 

Sorry for this pessimistic view on the forum we all love but I guess what I can't help thinking about is how do we bring it back to at least some of its former glory? I'd be willing to pitch in on a ratsun giveaway where top poster wins something or a raffle of some sort for a datsun or jdm engine or something... I'll start harassing my friends with datsuns to get on here..

and I know... I took my own breaks for large periods over the last 10 years, selling my datsuns, getting into other cars and hobbies etc.. I'm probably not the best face for the movement of rekindling the ratsun spirit.. 

Also as a side note I was thinking about this the other day, why has no one ever done a official ratsun meet/carshow etc? I know there are members that have their own little meets every year. Then we had nwd with canby. Then bluelake. Then powerland... Why has no one ever done "Ratsun" ? Maybe a "Ratsun" meet would be enough to draw some of the old hermits out of hiding... 

Edited by sick620
  • Like 6
  • sick620 changed the title to Ratsun Dying?
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me and redeye have had this conversation a couple times now…

now that most of the “use the search function” trolls are gone it has changed..  for the better in my opinion.  
   No more hardcore flaming of newbs for things keeps them around too. 

I seems like there is way more people doing builds than before in almost every category.. 

I would say there is better builds now than ever before .. not just in project datto either .. it’s all sections . 

this section is what it is . Always was always will be 

(edit) I would like to say ,, just because people aren’t giving a like to your build doesn’t mean We ain’t watching .. just check views ,

the truth is out there

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 8
4 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

It all changed when the classified's changed.

But in all seriousness, I think facebook and the such really changed things.  Which I dont fucking get.  I cant find something I read 10 minutes ago on there. 

Yep, that was when it changed, before that change there were 75 to 125 members online regularly, not users, members, the classifieds were only one of the changes, there were other changes also that I believe drove members away.

• Like 1

I joined this group because I could get advice and specific information on my 720.  With that expertise I have rebuilt the drive train and have since picked up two 720 junkers for spare parts.  I would never have gotten this far without the resources on offer here.  My 720 has  become the best vehicle I could ask for for towing our mower trailer and doing the odd steel pickup.  She could use a little body work but I would hate to lay her up for more than a day or two.  As long as Mike and Wayno are available this forum is worth it's weight in gold!

• Like 7

I'm newish to this forum and I look at it almost everyday.  I don't post much, my car is in pieces but I'm working on it.  I noticed the same with some of the other forums I've been on for a long time.  Turbobuick.com and pirate4x4.com to name a few.... both dead compared to 10 years ago.  10 years ago they were only 10ish years old!

I think the forums were awesome before because there was no other place online to talk.  Then Twitter, facebook etc came along and people post on those.  

• Like 2

If so many members were only here for the classifieds what were they doing? Buying and selling every day? No they were perusing the ads and flaming sellers for their prices and picking it apart for quality to the point sellers were reluctant to post. "$50??? I have 10 of those in my garage" "You can find that in any wrecking yard for less" "It's junk" "those are on craigslist for half that" Then the tire kickers that have no intention of buying but can't resist saying "good luck with sale" like it's never going to sell for the posted price. To all of those types the classifieds was simply entertainment and when it changed they got all butt hurt because open season on sellers ended and their fun was over. These are exactly the types who bloat facebook and twitter and good riddance. I sure don't miss all the moderation work policing the classifieds..... at all. If you are serious about your Datsun you'll come here to share, learn, pass on information and hang out. You might also find a part you want or get rid or one to pass on to keep their Datsun on the road.

• Like 5

Great post topic sick620  Thanks!

Its not just forums either, books and mags have declined in interest also, but magazines hold interest a little more because of IMAGES.

The 4mb image cap makes posting pics very difficult also. Folks like images with descriptions. Fb/Ig makes that much easier, especially for the older folks. Its been my experience more often than not interest starts with SEEING a car or truck. I dont think my phone is capable of making a small file image.

Certainly not bashing our beloved ratsun but more a suggestion to improve interest. 
politics and recent global health hasnt help our hobby one bit either.

Edited by jbirds510
  • Like 3

You can get a free image resizer for your phone or computer. Irfanview is one for the PC, "Photo & picture resizer" is one for Android. I'm sure you can find one for Mac or iphone as well, but I use neither so don't know what to recommend. They aren't hard to use, and both will do batch operations. 4mb is plenty big enough for a given photo...

• Like 4

I've been here a minute also (2009 I think...maybe). I have tried to help out where possible and have received help too. Maybe it is more of a "time available" thing for some folks. I would somewhat agree with the social media thing as I have seen people (like Missus Kelmo) just go down the rabbit hole on it and not come out for hours later. Not saying that has not happened to me on this site but I don't do the FB, IG, and what not.

I like the idea of a Ratsun meet. That being said, I think it would end up being mostly west coasters as most of the membership appears to be California, Oregon, and Washington but I would still give it some consideration depending on location.

• Like 2

I'm on here from time to time. Not as often as I used to be. Mostly I lurk without signing in anymore. I think a lot of us are still here but sometimes life takes over. Also, signing in on an iPhone is still a no go. Can't see the sign in link. I don't know how other phones show the sign in link if at all. I can see it on my iPad but only if I turn it horizontal. Ever since that change a while back it's been a problem. And why did our other descriptive names have to disappear? I liked having Cleopatra Jones above my pic. Hell, if I had known when I originally signed up that what we put in as our username was going to be our screen name I would've done that. But, you know, freaking noobs.

• Like 1

Social media killed forums. The forums greats asset now is the years of archived information and the members who help keep the Datsun dream alive.

Facebook is total trash. The same 5 questions asked every week. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cleopatra Jones said:

Whaaat? That's weird. But thanks!

Type in the change and get message not acceptable. Tried a few letters and ok, few more and a few more. Who knows. Results are all that matter

• Like 1

I also think the fourm traffic is going down in all the older automotive fourms. The cars are old and disappearing,  the original founding seinior members are also getting older ( but hopefully not all disappearing ). And there doesn't seem to be as many exciting builds or peeps doing truly new or unique things anymore either. For me I just dont spend that much time in front of a computer as I did when I was younger.

• Like 3